The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Sprint Service In Moscow?  (Read 1422 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Sprint Service In Moscow?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 11:31:33 AM »
You guys are funny, if a little sad. Why not check the numbers before going off on a half cocked suggestion?

Cost for calls using Sprint on roaming in Russia is $0.2 per minute. Cost to use Megafon, a large local provider using a prepay SIM card is between $0.15 and $0.22 for normal calls to non Megafon users.

If anyone can manage to pay for a ticket to get to Russia the cost of roaming using current Sprint rates is not an issue. It just isn't.

A modern user of mobile phones, such as local women, will almost invariably use SMS to make contact and then Shakey calls back. That's normal usage, it means there is almost no cost to contact him, even with a US number and he will call back and bear the cost. I don't know if the terminology has changed but we used to call this practice Depth Charging. Nothing easier, it is what real people do all the time.

People, mobile phones are not hard to use, they are not expensive and people around the world have figured out how to use 'em a while back.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »
Andrew,

Why not also indicate if some one calls from a non-Sprint network to Sprint based caller?

For some reason in Ukraine T-Mobile has an edge between internet carrier tariffs. This is based on North American tariffs.

Not in the loop on Russian tariffs.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Sprint Service In Moscow?
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
A modern user of mobile phones, such as local women, will almost invariably use SMS to make contact and then Shakey calls back.

Except that Shakey has an American phone and that an SMS from Europe NEVER 
goes through. If he gets a local sim the sms will go through. I don't know why and
I don't care why, I only know that it doesn't work.

People used to complain that they couldn't use Mamba because it required a receiving
a text message and it would never go through for Americans (don't know about our
Canadian cousins to the North but I suspect it's the same for them). Now you can sign
up to Mamba using facebook (you posted that first some years ago)

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online AvHdB

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
A modern user of mobile phones, such as local women, will almost invariably use SMS to make contact and then Shakey calls back.

Except that Shakey has an American phone and that an SMS from Europe NEVER 
goes through. If he gets a local sim the sms will go through. I don't know why and
I don't care why, I only know that it doesn't work.

People used to complain that they couldn't use Mamba because it required a receiving
a text message and it would never go through for Americans (don't know about our
Canadian cousins to the North but I suspect it's the same for them). Now you can sign
up to Mamba using facebook (you posted that first some years ago)

That is the odd thing before with ATT the SMS ~ text messages (ShortMessageService) did not go through. With T.Mobile it does in Amsterdam and Kiev to all corners.

Rates and fees with T-Mobile are very low.

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
Who send SMS's nowadays?

Do the lot over data, Message, FaceTime, FB Messenger, VK Messages, the lot.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »
Who send SMS's nowadays?

True, but most of my contacts are linked to a foon #

It seems Viber is the way to go, though I do not use it.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
Who send SMS's nowadays?

I believe (but not 100% sure) you still gotta take the 'Merican Sim card out because
we have some sort of different system/frequency or whatever. If anybody knows for
sure please speak up.

P!
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online msmoby

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »

I believe (but not 100% sure) you still gotta take the 'Merican Sim card out because
we have some sort of different system/frequency or whatever. If anybody knows for
sure please speak up.

P!

As 'requested' ;)

Yes, some US network freqs are different and smartphone models reflect this...BUT .. in the FSU they are pretty Euro std and you'll 'cell phone' ( mobile / mobilnik) will 'roam' accordingly.

Russia doesn't have form for making stuff like this up.
He really did say that
Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online msmoby

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 09:50:13 PM »

EE is the best bet for the UK, coverage is beyond great whereas Three is dreadful, dreadful coverage, dreadful CS, horrible, even Vodafone is better.

????   Choosing one's home network is VERY much a personal decision based on where and how you'll use it ..   I much prefer THREE - as their customer service is GREAT .. Contacting the Director's offices - if an issue - always get's things sorted -  and data network is more stable ... EE does work in more  places, overall.  Dislike EE and Vodafone as they insist on specific settings for data usage...the phone does not always receive this in timely fashion.

Also dual sim packs for the iPhone are useless, if you've got any kind of phone with a pop-out sim, it's useless.

Agree ....   I have no idea why folks in the UK don't have dual sim phones - given the networks don't share transmitters - as a rule.

I bought a Lenovo P2 from THREE - raved about it on here - as the battery life is INCREDIBLE - 3-7days. SC was always running out of battery .... no more ... Incredibly, THREE have dropped it and folks have woken up to it's 'road warrior' battery and used phones are selling for 2 times the price of new (?!)

@AvhdB

WHY are you storing contacts on your sim ?!! 

Apple Android, MS all offer email and contact storage via the cloud ...  Lose your phone? Login, change your password to protect your data - buy a new one and all your contact data and emails  are safe and download to the new phone.   It then doesn't matter WHAT SIM is in the phone..

Lastly, ALWAYS store your numbers in the international format ( +1, +7, +380, etc) Then you can be pretty sure calls / sms work

IF SMS's don't work - it's almost certainly the message centre in your phone has the incorrect settings.

He really did say that

Online msmoby

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »
UPDATE:

For those have issues sending SMS abroad - please check with your home network which is their PREFERRED partner in the nation(s) you're going to

IF you roam to another network ( when the preferred network signal is low / busy  ) - you might remain on the 'wrong' network'

He really did say that

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 01:39:42 AM »
If your phone uses a SIM card then it is at least nominally compatible. The issue is the frequency bands your phone uses but, in general, with most phones there will be at least one compatible band. Usually the more bands in common the better.

Shakey's fone has several bands that will work. Increasingly phones are more and more compatible as it becomes easier and cheaper to add multiple transmitters to the phone's chipset.

Dunno how it works for USAians but my SMS app is part of a chat app making SMS and chat transparent and interchangeable in use, that's pretty normal; don't you have such things in the United States?

The viability of voice over data comes down to pricing. As you see from the Sprint plan I linked  days ago calls are priced quite cheaply but little data is included. For a short visit such as Shakespeare is making it makes little sense to mess around. One just uses normal voice connections and 'walking around' data. If one is taking a long trip or travel often then a dual SIM phone with a local card including data is the way to go.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 01:41:15 AM »
Andrew,

Why not also indicate if some one calls from a non-Sprint network to Sprint based caller?

For some reason in Ukraine T-Mobile has an edge between internet carrier tariffs. This is based on North American tariffs.

Not in the loop on Russian tariffs.

I am sure that you can click on the link for yourself.