The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Sprint Service In Moscow?  (Read 6374 times)

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 20+
Sprint Service In Moscow?
« on: August 11, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »
Normally, I have a small cell phone that I use while in Russia.  I have to buy a new phone care for it at the beginning of each trip as the phone plans in Russia expire if you don't use them in 6 months.

I thought I might avoid that by using taking my iphone 5s and seeing if Sprint can provide service while I'm visiting at the end of the month.  How would I call local numbers?  How would I call international; numbers?  Is it going to be a huge pain in the ass to do this? 

My carrier here in the USA is Sprint
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Sprint Service In Moscow?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 02:00:12 PM »
https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming/Moscow%2C%20Russia/dvc7440005prd

No problems your phone has gsm/lte so works just about anywhere.
To make calls you just need  to add the country code before the number but you do that already when you store numbers, right?

Normally, I have a small cell phone that I use while in Russia.  I have to buy a new phone care for it at the beginning of each trip as the phone plans in Russia expire if you don't use them in 6 months.

I thought I might avoid that by using taking my iphone 5s and seeing if Sprint can provide service while I'm visiting at the end of the month.  How would I call local numbers?  How would I call international; numbers?  Is it going to be a huge pain in the ass to do this? 

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Poldark

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 03:00:02 PM »

I wouldn't use Sprint's roaming, it's expensive when you can pay like $10 and get 5GB data, 500 mins etc. Identify your iPhone 5S model number (I presume A1453?) and check the bands but it should work with Megafon and MTS for 3G and partial 4G.

International numbers are usually automatic, I enter +44 on my iPhone when entering UK numbers with +7 for Russia, +1 for US, +33 for France etc.

It's only a PITA if you make it a PITA, until recently I used an Orange Fr sim when travelling in France rather than my EE sim, took 5 mins to get the sim set up the first time and it hasn't expired (go to Paris every couple of months for the weekend) so never had issues on that side and I understand you can get activated Russian sims for pennies or do it at the airport for a small fee on top if you've translation issues.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 03:08:57 PM »
I use my UK three sim when working in Europe, no costs at all other than normal subscription. Not worked in UK for over a year now, same number, same contract, same cost.

Doesn’t extend to RU tho but I think it does for US and Oz...
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 03:48:16 PM »
Check the page I linked above. Sprint's rates for Russia are not bad if used sensibly and it is kinda handy to be able to receive calls. :)

To make life more affordable install Skype and buy a little Skype credit. Using Skype credit, even over mobile Internet, is cheaper than roaming charges and you can import your phone book into the Skype app so dialling is just as you'd normally do. Even with new EU roaming (not relevant to Russia I know) I tend to use Skype more than my local SIM card as it uses very little data.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
T-Mobile and there partners provide a superior service at a lower price abroad.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 04:07:14 AM »
Shakey

IF people calling your known US cell phone number is most important then paying for the Sprint Service is your no.1 option

I use the same UK network as STE but roaming outside the EU, US, Oz, NZ is silly money.    I bought a local city code from the UK / Moscow and US and divert them to a number that ring my RU cellphone - using the DATA /CALL PLAN which is UNLIMITED for 6 USD / month and FAST ( YOTA.RU)   I use a separate mobile - but you can order a great UK designed Android 2 sim phone from Wileyfox ( SWift 2x) 270 USD in UK and 160 USD in Moscow !! 

It will work back in the USA and allow you to have a second sim present - allowing you to RECEIVE text messages from Russia !

Check out zadarma.com  - Russian telco based in Bulgaria - FAR better call quality than SKYPE - if you are serious about making receiving biz calls

You can make the outbound call show your US cell phone number or any of the virtual city codes you choose  - c. 2USD / month - and you can stop the plan at a months notice.

It takes a day to set up - as you must prove your ID - and payment can be made by Western cards / Russian card/ Paypal, etc.

It's how I live out here - and provided DATA coverage is good - you can do biz and not pay through the nose - just allow calls via your special Sprint plan and call them back - showing your cell number - using zadarma's silly money rates

You can even have a Moscow tel number ring in the US ;)
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 05:45:51 AM »
T-Mobile and there partners provide a superior service at a lower price abroad.

Great news but stupidly irrelevant if one's chosen provider is Sprint, yes?

Gents, here's a tip for problem analysis and solution:
The solution will need to spring from the initial situation. While it is POSSIBLE that Shakey MIGHT change service providers to get SLIGHTLY cheaper calls on a SHORT vacation it is pretty unlikely and Shakey is much too sensible to do such a SILLY thing.

While he COULD buy a second, local, SIM then given that his phone uses only one SIM card what does he do with his incoming calls, apart from forward them at significant expense to his local SIM card.

The simple fact is that Sprint offers very good coverage, through its roaming partners, for both data and calls, in the Moscow region. The pricing for calls is similar to that pertaining to a local PAYG sim card and, walking about data that maintains the phone and its services is free of charge.

So, for Shakespear, when all the willy waving has been done, the answer is simple: Sprint works just fine, the phone works just fine, call prices are moderate and making calls simply means putting the national code in front of numbers called and that's something that most international travellers already do as a matter of course when saving numbers into their contacts apps.

In the longer term, Shakespear, the most flexible solution is to drop the overpriced geegaw that you now prefer and buy a phone that is better suited to international travel - basically any phone with a dual sim slot. In that situation you can easily keep your Sprint SIM for incoming calls and get a local SIM for outgoing calls. That way you can have convenience and usage is absolutley transparent to you the user.

If you want to maintain the number then simply send an SMS from the local card every now and then and top up credit as required to maintain activation. That's easily enough done these days using the service provider's website or even one of the many third party sites set up for those unable to navigate and buy credit in any language other than English.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 05:54:20 AM »
You can get dual sim gadgey's for iPhone, not the bulky cases, but little credit card sized or key-fob sized things you put your extra sim in and it works via Bluetooth.

Some are quite thin/small, might get one myself but to be honest, Three's Feel at Home makes it a bit unnecessary...

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 06:08:00 AM »
You can get dual sim gadgey's for iPhone, not the bulky cases, but little credit card sized or key-fob sized things you put your extra sim in and it works via Bluetooth.

Some are quite thin/small, might get one myself but to be honest, Three's Feel at Home makes it a bit unnecessary...

That's kinda neat. Do they actually work? Are they transparent in use as dual sim is under Android? Can they work with Android phones? For short term use they could be quite handy. Long term not so much, another thing to remember to carry round and recharge.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 06:20:55 AM »

That's kinda neat. Do they actually work? Are they transparent in use as dual sim is under Android? Can they work with Android phones? For short term use they could be quite handy. Long term not so much, another thing to remember to carry round and recharge.

Haven't actually tried one TBH, but will do when Three catch me using Feel at Home 100% almost. Nearly a year so far and they haven't yet..

Three UK do Feel at Home in Estonia and Spain and just about all EU countries, its a great deal, saves me about 200 quid a month in roaming charges, or so they tell me from my usage. From that it follows I'm not abusing it come to think of it or they would have capped/charged me..

Offline Poldark

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 07:05:07 AM »
Three UK do Feel at Home in Estonia and Spain and just about all EU countries, its a great deal, saves me about 200 quid a month in roaming charges, or so they tell me from my usage. From that it follows I'm not abusing it come to think of it or they would have capped/charged me..
Three are required by law to provide service at no extra cost across the EU and have been since June, EE, Vodafone, O2 all offer the same service.

While Three is useful for the US, HK, SG, Aus, a local sim is even better if you have to make local calls and EE is the best bet for the UK, coverage is beyond great whereas Three is dreadful, dreadful coverage, dreadful CS, horrible, even Vodafone is better.

Also dual sim packs for the iPhone are useless, if you've got any kind of phone with a pop-out sim, it's useless.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 07:30:38 AM »
Three are required by law to provide service at no extra cost across the EU and have been since June, EE, Vodafone, O2 all offer the same service.

While Three is useful for the US, HK, SG, Aus, a local sim is even better if you have to make local calls and EE is the best bet for the UK, coverage is beyond great whereas Three is dreadful, dreadful coverage, dreadful CS, horrible, even Vodafone is better.

Also dual sim packs for the iPhone are useless, if you've got any kind of phone with a pop-out sim, it's useless.

Three is great for me, coverage and speed, never had a problem.

Three's Feel at Home is over and above what the recent EU law said, and predates it by some years, and for data at least trumps the EU thing totally, I have no data charges whatsoever, as my UK Three is All You Can Eat, it's the same in EU (sort of, capped at 30gb I think when abroad), pretty sure the other UK mobile co's don't offer that.

All I know is I've been living and working in Denmark and Ireland for 12 months now, returning to UK only enough to not be tax resident, on my UK three contract, used it for calls, texts and a lot of data and not been charged a penny more, which'll do for me.

I agree with dual sim on iPhone, nothing seems to work properly though I haven't tried to Bluetooth solution, no need to. But there's no way I'm using an Android phone, everytime someone tries to sell me one using some feature interest usually ends with 'Oh, it's crashed...'

Even MIL binned hers and has gone back to my old iPhone 4S we sent ages ago....

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 09:17:53 AM »
Just an out of the box thought for travellers. :)

A while back I bought a phone, cost me €10 brand new. This little beauty fits in my wallet in a credit card slot, takes a standard SIM, works on GSM networks, which means pretty much anywhere in the civilised world and even large parts of the United States.

If one is wanting a phone upon which to receive calls, probably using one's home country SIM card, then you can have a local SIM card in one's iPhone or whatever.

It is a basic phone but it supports Bluetooth so it can read remote phone books and work with headphones and earpieces, it has a music player and FM radio so it can even provide entertainment. I have not used any of these features though.

This is a basic backup phone, great for travelling and use where one does not want to risk having an expensive phone such as the beach or when out on the piss.

The World's Slimmest Phone?

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »

I have a android smart phone with a removable battery and replaceable sim card.
When I arrive to Russia I go to the same store as the girl that I am visiting and get
a sim card and minutes from them. If meeting many I would just go to one of the
majors and get it from them.

You need a local number or the girls will have to pay extra to call or text you back
and I always tried to make it as easy as possible for the girls to get back to me.
Your phone is probably locked, which for me meant that I had to use a local wifi
to go online rather than using the 3G which was locked.

What I wouldn't do is try to make a phone work with your American number
roaming in the FSU for a zillion bucks.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 11:31:33 AM »
You guys are funny, if a little sad. Why not check the numbers before going off on a half cocked suggestion?

Cost for calls using Sprint on roaming in Russia is $0.2 per minute. Cost to use Megafon, a large local provider using a prepay SIM card is between $0.15 and $0.22 for normal calls to non Megafon users.

If anyone can manage to pay for a ticket to get to Russia the cost of roaming using current Sprint rates is not an issue. It just isn't.

A modern user of mobile phones, such as local women, will almost invariably use SMS to make contact and then Shakey calls back. That's normal usage, it means there is almost no cost to contact him, even with a US number and he will call back and bear the cost. I don't know if the terminology has changed but we used to call this practice Depth Charging. Nothing easier, it is what real people do all the time.

People, mobile phones are not hard to use, they are not expensive and people around the world have figured out how to use 'em a while back.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »
Andrew,

Why not also indicate if some one calls from a non-Sprint network to Sprint based caller?

For some reason in Ukraine T-Mobile has an edge between internet carrier tariffs. This is based on North American tariffs.

Not in the loop on Russian tariffs.

Online 2tallbill

Sprint Service In Moscow?
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
A modern user of mobile phones, such as local women, will almost invariably use SMS to make contact and then Shakey calls back.

Except that Shakey has an American phone and that an SMS from Europe NEVER 
goes through. If he gets a local sim the sms will go through. I don't know why and
I don't care why, I only know that it doesn't work.

People used to complain that they couldn't use Mamba because it required a receiving
a text message and it would never go through for Americans (don't know about our
Canadian cousins to the North but I suspect it's the same for them). Now you can sign
up to Mamba using facebook (you posted that first some years ago)

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online AvHdB

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
A modern user of mobile phones, such as local women, will almost invariably use SMS to make contact and then Shakey calls back.

Except that Shakey has an American phone and that an SMS from Europe NEVER 
goes through. If he gets a local sim the sms will go through. I don't know why and
I don't care why, I only know that it doesn't work.

People used to complain that they couldn't use Mamba because it required a receiving
a text message and it would never go through for Americans (don't know about our
Canadian cousins to the North but I suspect it's the same for them). Now you can sign
up to Mamba using facebook (you posted that first some years ago)

That is the odd thing before with ATT the SMS ~ text messages (ShortMessageService) did not go through. With T.Mobile it does in Amsterdam and Kiev to all corners.

Rates and fees with T-Mobile are very low.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
Who send SMS's nowadays?

Do the lot over data, Message, FaceTime, FB Messenger, VK Messages, the lot.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »
Who send SMS's nowadays?

True, but most of my contacts are linked to a foon #

It seems Viber is the way to go, though I do not use it.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
Who send SMS's nowadays?

I believe (but not 100% sure) you still gotta take the 'Merican Sim card out because
we have some sort of different system/frequency or whatever. If anybody knows for
sure please speak up.

P!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »

I believe (but not 100% sure) you still gotta take the 'Merican Sim card out because
we have some sort of different system/frequency or whatever. If anybody knows for
sure please speak up.

P!

As 'requested' ;)

Yes, some US network freqs are different and smartphone models reflect this...BUT .. in the FSU they are pretty Euro std and you'll 'cell phone' ( mobile / mobilnik) will 'roam' accordingly.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 09:50:13 PM »

EE is the best bet for the UK, coverage is beyond great whereas Three is dreadful, dreadful coverage, dreadful CS, horrible, even Vodafone is better.

????   Choosing one's home network is VERY much a personal decision based on where and how you'll use it ..   I much prefer THREE - as their customer service is GREAT .. Contacting the Director's offices - if an issue - always get's things sorted -  and data network is more stable ... EE does work in more  places, overall.  Dislike EE and Vodafone as they insist on specific settings for data usage...the phone does not always receive this in timely fashion.

Agree ....   I have no idea why folks in the UK don't have dual sim phones - given the networks don't share transmitters - as a rule.

I bought a Lenovo P2 from THREE - raved about it on here - as the battery life is INCREDIBLE - 3-7days. SC was always running out of battery .... no more ... Incredibly, THREE have dropped it and folks have woken up to it's 'road warrior' battery and used phones are selling for 2 times the price of new (?!)

@AvhdB

WHY are you storing contacts on your sim ?!! 

Apple Android, MS all offer email and contact storage via the cloud ...  Lose your phone? Login, change your password to protect your data - buy a new one and all your contact data and emails  are safe and download to the new phone.   It then doesn't matter WHAT SIM is in the phone..

Lastly, ALWAYS store your numbers in the international format ( +1, +7, +380, etc) Then you can be pretty sure calls / sms work

IF SMS's don't work - it's almost certainly the message centre in your phone has the incorrect settings.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »
UPDATE:

For those have issues sending SMS abroad - please check with your home network which is their PREFERRED partner in the nation(s) you're going to

IF you roam to another network ( when the preferred network signal is low / busy  ) - you might remain on the 'wrong' network'

Registration