The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Online TEFL course vs. Class TEFL course?  (Read 7513 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Online TEFL course vs. Class TEFL course?
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »
Ah, that tax thing means that it'll be much harder to 'work' with the wrong visa type. It'll probably improve the average standards of teaching quite a bit even as 'teachers' become somewhat short in supply.

The days of the itinerant teacher of English coming to an end in Russia, at last.

Big brother is coming to Russia! Immigration will be linked to the tax office and will share your information , that includes what country you are a tax resident in and information with that country..so I guess if your in Russia for more than 180 days you become liable to tax , or some thing like that. But for sure if you have paid nothing in 6/12 months you may find yourself doing some hard labour in Siberia.. not sure of the exact details but it is some thing like that! And yes much will depend what visa you have..

Tax residency is 91 days for UK. Of course for Americans it doesn’t matter, they are taxed on their worldwide income even if they’ve spent zero days in the land of the not free.

So it is best to live between 3 countries , like have a house in each and just stay your allowance each year?  The best place in the world to live tax free and hassle free is The Transnistria ...I cannot think of a better place, you can just cross a few hedges and fields and never actually be classed as living any where..even was thinking about staying there permanently , if you have a nice income from the net there you can live like a king, drive an expensive car, own several properties , travel every month. It is paradise!!

Fraid not, cos the 91 day test isn’t the only test for habitual residency, having a home for use is one, as is working from home, not permitted in the 91 days, and tax is due where the work is done, so tax will be paid somewhere unless you bury your head in the sand.

Tax folks are far reaching now, in my industry the German Finanzamt has collared a lot, and they are utter *snip*s.

In EU the Germans, the Brits and the Swedes are worst, but they’re all catching on now, seems the Russians are too!

Here in Dublin the Guards are sat at Dublin port noting uk car reg plates ready to pounce and charge VRT illegally. It’s 13-36% if the original value of the car and if you don’t pay they take the car there and then.

So on your 12 year old Maserati is £5k

Yes but you can have several houses and not own them...mother can have one..father.. some company...you can just lodge there kind off..mmm what about a big boat with satellite internet always out in International waters... :travel: :laugh:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Jerash

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »
Jerash, I noticed that the company that manyquestions linked to referred to offering classes over Skype.

It used to be that there was built in functionality via apps to do this. As I recall they no longer exist.

Do you know anything about such classes?

Would it be a viable business model to offer such classes for those who might be better off in New Jersey?

==================
Manyquestions. I know nothing, but, it would seem to me that if the training company has a jobs board with openings around the world but NOT in Russia then it is likely that the qualification offered by this business is probably not worth a lot in Russia. It might be simply that nobody knows about it there, but lack of knowledge is much a bar to entry as low quality is.

If you do want to travel and you are set on this particular course might it not be better to look at working in destinations where you can see there is some demand for your particular certification?

I have no idea about Skyping from outside, although I guess it works.  I have only ever skyped to the Uk or within Moscow.  If you want to be a skype teacher, be my guest.  You can undercut me advertising from Thailand, but the fact is people will understand why you are there, and you'll be getting the students who are attracted to your measly prices.

Most people understand that the best learning happens in person.  And they are also willing to pay accordingly for it. 

Go on and get your online "training" and pray to Buddha that you will impress people here with it.  Throw in the Buddha part, because they'll like it.  I'd happily give you advice if it seemed like you had a clue.  But you don't.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
Ah, that tax thing means that it'll be much harder to 'work' with the wrong visa type. It'll probably improve the average standards of teaching quite a bit even as 'teachers' become somewhat short in supply.

The days of the itinerant teacher of English coming to an end in Russia, at last.

If what you say is actually true, Andrew, next year will be even better!  :8) :thumbsup:

Offline Jerash

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »

Big brother is coming to Russia! Immigration will be linked to the tax office and will share your information , that includes what country you are a tax resident in and information with that country..so I guess if your in Russia for more than 180 days you become liable to tax , or some thing like that. But for sure if you have paid nothing in 6/12 months you may find yourself doing some hard labour in Siberia.. not sure of the exact details but it is some thing like that! And yes much will depend what visa you have..

If I fall afoul, I'm sure some hard labour would be good for me!  :ROFL:

Offline Jerash

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »

Not really, Jerash. Why would I want to live in an high tax place like New Jersey? Taxes are still much lower where I live. Then you have a RINO governor like Chris Christie, who goes to a locked gated beach that is closed to the public but says he and his family has "every right to be there.". I can't believe this guy was once the "darling" of the Republican party.

Of course, with Buddha's philosophy, now I can be content anywhere I live and any relationship with a woman I am with. No matter if her personality is like a fiery tempest or not. I have the patience and the willpower. The control over my own mind that I didn't think was possible before. The problem I am having here locally is that all/most of the attractive women in town are either have a boyfriend or are already married. The rest seem to just want a sexual "friends with benefits". I don't want to get a venereal disease, so I am going to have pass on the "friends with benefits".

Buddha put himself through unimaginable starvation to ty to achieve enlightenment the first try around. The meditation worked, the starvation didn't. If he can put himself through unimaginable suffering and still shrug it off, then so can I. He gave up a pampered life in a palace to understand the world around him and achieve self-actualization in his life. The bad things that happened in my life pale in comparison to what Buddha saw and put himself through.

Buddha "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal and wanting to throw it at somebody else. You are the only one who gets burned."

Remember you will need to start paying taxes next year in Russia if your teaching English as a kind of side cash job, there will be no more arriving taking some teaching visa or some thing like and not paying taxes. New laws com in on sharing information. You could arrive at immigration only to be deported for non payment of taxes over the last 12 months.
I did read the English teachers will be shooting out of Russia like champaign corks next year..Im speaking about the doggy ones.. ;D

I don't care about the Russian government taking their "pound of flesh" out of my income. The State and Federal Government already take out a chunk of my income here in the US. Of course, the tax dollars I send to the District of Corruption are to be mostly wasted on their over bloated salaries to do nothing at their job. In life, death and taxes are a certainty. Would I rather not have to pay taxes? Yes. Will I have to pay taxes? Yes.

I have absolutely no idea why you would like New Jersey more than Russia.  But something tells me you might find a home there, whereas you might be an eternal misfit here. 

I only asked about GDP, something you proclaimed, but then failed to answer when called on it. 

[PDF]New Jersey
https://www.bea.gov/regional/bearfacts/pdf.cfm?fips=34000&areatype...3
Mar 28, 2017 - In 2006, New Jersey GDP was $465.0 billion and ranked 8th in the United States. In 2016, New Jersey real GDP grew 1.2 percent; the 2015-2016 national change was 1.5 percent.

Russia's GDP was 1.283T USD in 2016.  (http://data.worldbank.org/country/russian-federation)

So, yeah, Russia has a lower GDP than New Jersey. :rolleye0009: ???  I still think you'll fit in better in Jersey, or whatever that place where no-one wants to live is called. Good luck happily paying your taxes here!  What is your plan when you receive the Russian Language document to report your taxes???

Offline Dachaguy

• Spouses Country: Russian Federation
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 01:43:32 AM »
I saw online that there are online TEFL (Teach English as a Foreign Language) courses that cost less than the actual class courses. This would allow m to leave the US even soon and allow me to earn money working while I take the course. However, my concern is that will these online TEFL graduates be recognized in Russian English Schools or other Russian TEFL places of employment?

I am an American living in a city of 143,000 here in the Respublika of Mari-El. I am retired but came out of retirement after some private English schools found out about me through immigration. I am the only native American speaker here. Many young adults here speak English but with a strong accent and these schools are clamouring for these talents. I started out just heading an English discussion group on Saturdays and things grew from there. Within a short time, I earned a certificate in pronunciation and accent reduction. Then earned another one in teaching TOEFL, IELTS and TOEIC exams. I now have 31 students weekly and get paid under the table by the owner of the school. I also have private students on the side and one business I teach at. I make a good tidy sum every month and without the TEFL.

1) Forget the TEFL they will just say "That's nice". You will never earn back what you spent on obtaining the TEFL.

2) Forget working at any government schools. Pay is lousy "IF" you get paid at all !

3) The only certification that carries any weight is the TKT 1,2,3 from Cambridge English and you don't even need that!

4)  You darn well better learn the language well as that alone will open many doors for you. Plus, you need it anyway to take the language test, history, and law test.

5) Lots of benefits included like: Getting to hang out with incredible looking ladies, getting invited to parties, free trips, teaching very intelligent people who look up to you, and yes you will have the chance of getting laid on occasion.

Just do it but plan wisely!

Registration