The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia Bans the Use of Some Anonymising VPNs  (Read 1530 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russia Bans the Use of Some Anonymising VPNs
« on: August 05, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
Now this REALLY Sucks

I use a VPN :

1/ To securely connect to a biz server in the UK

2/ Transfer money - when online to UK Bank

3/ Watch UK TV

4/ When using free Wifi - horribly insecure

From  Nov 1st - if I use a VPN - when in Russia -  I'll be breaking the law !!

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40774315[url]

Putin bans VPNs in web browsing crackdown

The irony is that Russians rushed to help Ukrainians with VPNs to get around the Ukraine's ban on many RU sites....

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Russia Bans the Use of Some Anonymising VPNs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:16:14 PM »
Update:

Was at a Dacha of a biz partner and we had a 'BBQ' ( Shashllk and Salad - best I ever tasted ) up in the hills above Sochi.

The VPN ban came up and and it was pointed out that the use of VPNs to visit banned sites was illegal .... not the act of using a VPN ?

As the ISP can see I'm using one, and will be duty bound to report it - doesn't this mean that the authorities will then be busy checking up on the end user ?   

So, I mustn't visit linkedin.com ( banned here - for not agreeing to store RU citizens data in Russia) and other banned sites and I'll be 'OK' ?

When I use Teamviewer to connect to my UK based home PC -using Teamviewer- I'm effectively using a VPN connection, too.

If anyone knows the exact nature of this ban - I'd certainly appreciate it ...

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:29:14 AM »
Update:

Was at a Dacha of a biz partner and we had a 'BBQ' ( Shashllk and Salad - best I ever tasted ) up in the hills above Sochi.

The VPN ban came up and and it was pointed out that the use of VPNs to visit banned sites was illegal .... not the act of using a VPN ?

As the ISP can see I'm using one, and will be duty bound to report it - doesn't this mean that the authorities will then be busy checking up on the end user ?   

So, I mustn't visit linkedin.com ( banned here - for not agreeing to store RU citizens data in Russia) and other banned sites and I'll be 'OK' ?

When I use Teamviewer to connect to my UK based home PC -using Teamviewer- I'm effectively using a VPN connection, too.

You have a Russian Business partner.. thats very interesting.. :laugh:

Personally I don't understand what all the commotion is about with the VPN ? I have never ever even thought of using one? I come to live in Russia with Russian people and live the Russian life.. I don't need to watch Coronation street or Eastenders.. the last thing I would ever want is to see anything to do with the UK every day thank you very much! :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 05:32:38 AM »

You have a Russian Business partner.. thats very interesting.. :laugh:

You'll have to ask Wiz what we do - it will be interesting to hear ;)

Personally I don't understand what all the commotion is about with the VPN ? I have never ever even thought of using one? I come to live in Russia with Russian people and live the Russian life.. I don't need to watch Coronation street or Eastenders.. the last thing I would ever want is to see anything to do with the UK every day thank you very much! :laugh:

Funnily enough, the 'commotion' is about being able to view sites from all over the world ... for example I cannot view a Yacht race organiser's site as it - like many sites - doesn't seem to encourage Russian IP addresses ....

I'm more of a Poldark and BBC thriller man, myself

I used the VPN to watch the Tour de France, F1 GPs  - in English ...   I have access to 100 + RU channels - at the Dacha ( Tricolor sat tv ) but it is good to see other nations 'news' ...;)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 05:51:46 AM »
Like Mark, I also use a VPN to connect to my business securely and to watch Dutch TV in Russia because my ISP thinks I am at home.

I also don't trust public internet, so using a VPN to first create a secure route before starting a bank-transfer is a very good idea.

I have heard stories of people using a public internet to goto their bank (forged website with forged DNS records) and then giving up their login-details to someone that shouldn't have them.

Luckily the NL has only 1 bank that is breakable like that (ING!) and the others are secure against this type of attack.

But there are lots of good reasons to use VPN, as said.
* Banking business from public internet access
* Offices that use VPN's to create a multi-location intranet
* Work-at-home with resources that are otherwise unavailable
etc.

Mark.
PS: Old news... even in Europe.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 05:54:29 AM »
Use the translate dutch=>english:

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/127791/rusland-doet-proxies-tor-en-vpns-in-de-ban.html
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 05:58:03 AM »
The P in VPN is the key - private. It’s a secure end-to-end tunnel, even if the other bloke is sat next to you.

I’d suggest this issue is more about the ability to snoop on citizens rather than stopping people watching Corrie.

And you can carry on living like a Russian, restricted access to more credible news and fed the Putin Party line!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 06:00:32 AM »

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/127791/rusland-doet-proxies-tor-en-vpns-in-de-ban.html

Right, so I have read the article. VPN providers that are not meant for anonymizing are not affected.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 06:07:34 AM »

Thanks Markje,

I've read the article and where I'm lost is how the law is going to differentiate between those accessing site illegal within Russia- such as Linkedin  - and expats / visitors doing their banking / watching home TV

As I understand - the ISP cannot see your destination - just that you use a VPN ?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 06:14:07 AM »
The P in VPN is the key - private. It’s a secure end-to-end tunnel, even if the other bloke is sat next to you.

I’d suggest this issue is more about the ability to snoop on citizens rather than stopping people watching Corrie.

And you can carry on living like a Russian, restricted access to more credible news and fed the Putin Party line!

BUT I like to listen to the new about Mr Putin.. its very interesting, he's been fishing recently so have been enjoying watching him ...

Im not interested in the BBC or any other boring biased stuff...and any way EVERY one is snooping on EVERYONE in the UK.. its the most snooped on spied on country in the world.. Big Brother lives there in London actually..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »

Im not interested in the BBC or any other boring biased stuff...

..and the Kremlin owed / controlled by stooge Oligarch mates of the Kremlin isn't biased ? :)))

and any way EVERY one is snooping on EVERYONE in the UK.. its the most snooped on spied on country in the world.. Big Brother lives there in London actually..

If you are referring to surveillance cameras - you might have a point - but  I'm quite happy to be observed  - as a law abiding citizen ..

IF you are referring to the net / phone calls - then you are talking nonsense .... In Russia - for an example -  the FSB have more rights to 'snoop' than in the UK - at the ISP.... and in the UK one doesn't have to report one's ID  if having more than 3k followers on Social media

Naturally, Mrs May has plans to make your incorrect view more like reality

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »
Surely a VPN over an SSL connection is the answer? :prophead:

No point reading the biased BBC article linked above, as with anything, if you want the facts go to the source:

The bill also does not apply to corporate users if they need VPN services for their work.

More accurate info: https://www.rt.com/politics/398087-putin-signs-into-law-bill/

It can't be rocket science to arrange for oneself a UK hosted server with an SSL connection setup in such a way to allow one to access a browser of one's choice?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »

Im not interested in the BBC or any other boring biased stuff...

..and the Kremlin owed / controlled by stooge Oligarch mates of the Kremlin isn't biased ? :)))

and any way EVERY one is snooping on EVERYONE in the UK.. its the most snooped on spied on country in the world.. Big Brother lives there in London actually..

If you are referring to surveillance cameras - you might have a point - but  I'm quite happy to be observed  - as a law abiding citizen ..

IF you are referring to the net / phone calls - then you are talking nonsense .... In Russia - for an example -  the FSB have more rights to 'snoop' than in the UK - at the ISP.... and in the UK one doesn't have to report one's ID  if having more than 3k followers on Social media

Naturally, Mrs May has plans to make your incorrect view more like reality

You maybe a law abiding citizen in the UK , but your not in Russia are you? I thought you have a few visa irregularities like teaching a little English and making movies for YouTube... :ROFL:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »

You maybe a law abiding citizen in the UK , but your not in Russia are you? I thought you have a few visa irregularities like teaching a little English and making movies for YouTube... :ROFL:

Perhaps you should report me ...  do they have a 'Wasting Police Time' offence in Russia ?  - YAWN

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »

Thanks Markje,

I've read the article and where I'm lost is how the law is going to differentiate between those accessing site illegal within Russia- such as Linkedin  - and expats / visitors doing their banking / watching home TV

As I understand - the ISP cannot see your destination - just that you use a VPN ?
As I understood it, they aren't. They're just going to check if the VPN offers anonymity as a service to block em.

If you are then caught doing illegal stuff using the VPN, they want to be 100% sure they can acquire the real identity of the VPN-User by asking the VPN provider.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
As with pretty much any legislation one can take a thin end of the wedge view and criticise the potential ill of the legislation but from what I can see, once past the bloviating, bullshit and agenda led storytelling journalism, there's not a lot for a reasonable Russian bloke to disagree with.

The stuff for which one might want to use anonymised VPN services, that are not already excluded from consideration by the law, is probably going to be stuff that would be likely to be distasteful or unacceptable to the normal Russian. There will be a few who have a misguided or ill informed aversion to a perceived loss of anonymity as a *matter of principal* but otherwise, why should criminal activity have a right to anonymity?

Of course we have the casually dishonest 'guests' of Russia concerned about their ability to pilfer from other, more productive, members of society - but I believe that we can discount their ill informed whining.

In general, I think that most people have a significant over estimate of their Internet privacy. This law will change nothing for normal people.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 04:04:37 PM »
In general, I think that most people have a significant over estimate of their Internet privacy. This law will change nothing for normal people.

bingo
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
As with pretty much any legislation one can take a thin end of the wedge view and criticise the potential ill of the legislation but from what I can see, once past the bloviating, bullshit and agenda led storytelling journalism, there's not a lot for a reasonable Russian bloke to disagree with.

Is that from a techie point of view? - i.e nonsense  -or the viewpoint of 'Russian man in the street- about which you can't have the slightest clue ...Many Russians viewing western sites - well trying to view them - encounter irrational blocks - based on the premise ... "Russian IP ... must equal 'hacker' "

The stuff for which one might want to use anonymised VPN services, that are not already excluded from consideration by the law, is probably going to be stuff that would be likely to be distasteful or unacceptable to the normal Russian. There will be a few who have a misguided or ill informed aversion to a perceived loss of anonymity as a *matter of principal* but otherwise, why should criminal activity have a right to anonymity?

Once again, what do you know of Russians' internet browsing habits ?   I discovered the law when it was the topic of conversation of ... RUSSIANS..I merely used a western newspaper - as it is in ENGLISH..

Of course we have the casually dishonest 'guests' of Russia concerned about their ability to pilfer from other, more productive, members of society - but I believe that we can discount their ill informed whining.

THAT coming from the guy who suggested a lack of credit worthiness on my part and went Trappist on production of my credit - not prepaid-  and debit cards from 3 nations and five banks - is another example of an 'andrewfi' - "make it up and hope a friendly mod will cover my ass - when I'm - once more - caught out making stuff up..".

Please state from whom I have pilfered ?  Good luck with proving that one in a civil or criminal Court   :chuckle:

Untrue on two fronts

As someone who has sold VPNs for many years - you are - as usual-  out of your depth and spouting patent nonsense.

Unless the nation banning the use of VPNs has kit in the ISP - which Russia has - part of BEING an RU ISP - VPNs can be a PiA to monitor the traffic

Now, I still don't exactly understand if using a VPN to protect my financial transactions - for example - will be illegal and I want to comply when a guest - so it would be great if someone who does understand the law and the techie side of VPNs could respond..

BTW - lots of people use VPNs for no other reason than to avoid 'throttling' or traffic shaping' by ISPs ..