The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia Bans the Use of Some Anonymising VPNs  (Read 570 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Russia Bans the Use of Some Anonymising VPNs
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
As with pretty much any legislation one can take a thin end of the wedge view and criticise the potential ill of the legislation but from what I can see, once past the bloviating, bullshit and agenda led storytelling journalism, there's not a lot for a reasonable Russian bloke to disagree with.

The stuff for which one might want to use anonymised VPN services, that are not already excluded from consideration by the law, is probably going to be stuff that would be likely to be distasteful or unacceptable to the normal Russian. There will be a few who have a misguided or ill informed aversion to a perceived loss of anonymity as a *matter of principal* but otherwise, why should criminal activity have a right to anonymity?

Of course we have the casually dishonest 'guests' of Russia concerned about their ability to pilfer from other, more productive, members of society - but I believe that we can discount their ill informed whining.

In general, I think that most people have a significant over estimate of their Internet privacy. This law will change nothing for normal people.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Russia Bans the Use of Some Anonymising VPNs
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 04:04:37 PM »
In general, I think that most people have a significant over estimate of their Internet privacy. This law will change nothing for normal people.

bingo
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
As with pretty much any legislation one can take a thin end of the wedge view and criticise the potential ill of the legislation but from what I can see, once past the bloviating, bullshit and agenda led storytelling journalism, there's not a lot for a reasonable Russian bloke to disagree with.

Is that from a techie point of view? - i.e nonsense  -or the viewpoint of 'Russian man in the street- about which you can't have the slightest clue ...Many Russians viewing western sites - well trying to view them - encounter irrational blocks - based on the premise ... "Russian IP ... must equal 'hacker' "

The stuff for which one might want to use anonymised VPN services, that are not already excluded from consideration by the law, is probably going to be stuff that would be likely to be distasteful or unacceptable to the normal Russian. There will be a few who have a misguided or ill informed aversion to a perceived loss of anonymity as a *matter of principal* but otherwise, why should criminal activity have a right to anonymity?

Once again, what do you know of Russians' internet browsing habits ?   I discovered the law when it was the topic of conversation of ... RUSSIANS..I merely used a western newspaper - as it is in ENGLISH..

Of course we have the casually dishonest 'guests' of Russia concerned about their ability to pilfer from other, more productive, members of society - but I believe that we can discount their ill informed whining.

THAT coming from the guy who suggested a lack of credit worthiness on my part and went Trappist on production of my credit - not prepaid-  and debit cards from 3 nations and five banks - is another example of an 'andrewfi' - "make it up and hope a friendly mod will cover my ass - when I'm - once more - caught out making stuff up..".

Please state from whom I have pilfered ?  Good luck with proving that one in a civil or criminal Court   :chuckle:

Untrue on two fronts

As someone who has sold VPNs for many years - you are - as usual-  out of your depth and spouting patent nonsense.

Unless the nation banning the use of VPNs has kit in the ISP - which Russia has - part of BEING an RU ISP - VPNs can be a PiA to monitor the traffic

Now, I still don't exactly understand if using a VPN to protect my financial transactions - for example - will be illegal and I want to comply when a guest - so it would be great if someone who does understand the law and the techie side of VPNs could respond..

BTW - lots of people use VPNs for no other reason than to avoid 'throttling' or traffic shaping' by ISPs ..