The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Chatting to a girl pre-trip which I had to cancel, mistake?  (Read 9402 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Crybabies, bed-wetters and whiners need not apply
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2017, 03:36:16 PM »
I'll still have to go in person due to biometrics being required.

Warning tough love below. If you usually wind up in the corner sucking your
thumb when tough love is dispensed then you should just skip right over this
post because I can't stand to see a grown man suck his thumb in a puddle of
his own p!ss.

If you are still reading this you've been warned and don't cry about it
later because I won't care, but I might laugh.

If you are whining about the ball ache that getting a visa takes then
I would suggest you go to your local pub and find the fattest unmarried
girl take her home and be happy with your lot in life forever, because
crybabies and bed-wetters aren't going to pursue, bed and marry hot
Russian women because it's way too difficult.

You have to decide whether your up to this or not. Most people, by far
are not. You can ask every married guy here if this was difficult and
99% will say it was very, very tough. 1% will tell you it was f#cking
easy but they will be f#cking lying.

This pursuit takes time, money, efforts and boat loads of emotional
energy. You are crying like a 15 year old girl who let her girlfriend's
dye her hair and they f#ucked it up, simply because things aren't
handed to you on a silver platter? Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo, I have to show
up in person to get a visa.

The Russian girl you were interacting with didn't appreciate your failing
to keep your promise. You shouldn't have made a promise, then after
that you shouldn't have failed to live up to it. FSUW aren't like the fat
girls in your local pub.

They expect you to keep your promises. You need to be a man of action,
not a man of excuses. Your mummy dies? then bury her and then get on
a plane then curl the toes of your new Russian girlfriend or let her scream 
somebody else's name1 while the bedsprings squeak like the sound effects
of a horror movie (enter sound effect of Psycho knife scene here2)   

Now if you haven't p!ssed down the side of your leg and you still want to find,
pursue and marry a HOT FSU woman, then you came to the right place.
We can help you but you've got to do all the heavy lifting and save the
whining for elsewhere.

Sound effects for those reading along
1. 2.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Poldark

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Crybabies, bed-wetters and whiners need not apply
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
If you are whining about the ball ache that getting a visa takes ... You are crying like a 15 year old girl who let her girlfriend's dye her hair and they f#ucked it up, simply because things aren't handed to you on a silver platter? Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo, I have to show up in person to get a visa.
A ball ache isn't an impossibility and nor am I expecting things to be handed to me however I do have to take into account work and visits to London for what they already have due to my previous application. I'll go anyway as I'd actually like to make it across to Moscow and do as I'd planned before what happened, happened.

Also if you think calling something a ball ache is "crying like a 15 year old girl" then you're on another planet, it's an annoyance sure but it isn't on that level.
The Russian girl you were interacting with didn't appreciate your failing to keep your promise. You shouldn't have made a promise, then after that you shouldn't have failed to live up to it.
Of course I can understand that, I feel bad that I didn't however it wasn't intentional and I made a promise that I fully intended to keep as I can tell from the next quote, you're evidently not one to deal with family matters and a death isn't the same as an injury that you can leave knowing everything will be okay, why would I go to Russia when I'm grieving, I wouldn't have fun, she wouldn't have fun and it would be a waste of what could potentially have been a wonderful holiday.
Your mummy dies? then bury her and then get on a plane then curl the toes of your new Russian girlfriend
This part is unacceptable, I don't know you nor where you come from but this isn't attitude that one takes during the loss of a loved one. If you want to bury a loved one then hop on a plane then be my guest but I'm not like that.

As for the part about this being hard and taking up a lot of time, effort and money, I get that and I've no issue with that although I'd say it's quite cheap overall as it's cheaper for me to fly to Moscow and stay in a decent hotel for a week than it is for me to take the Eurostar to Paris for a 3 day weekend which is admittedly baffling but from that perspective, it's cheap as chips.

I'm up for the challenge and I'm going to see if I can sort out the visa within the next couple of weeks and pop over as after thinking about it, I've nothing to lose and I had holiday booked for end of September anyway.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Chatting to a girl pre-trip which I had to cancel, mistake?
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 04:55:41 PM »
If you are whining about the ball ache that getting a visa takes ... You are crying like a 15 year old girl who let her girlfriend's dye her hair and they f#ucked it up, simply because things aren't handed to you on a silver platter? Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo, I have to show up in person to get a visa.
A ball ache isn't an impossibility and nor am I expecting things to be handed to me however I do have to take into account work and visits to London for what they already have due to my previous application. I'll go anyway as I'd actually like to make it across to Moscow and do as I'd planned before what happened, happened.

Also if you think calling something a ball ache is "crying like a 15 year old girl" then you're on another planet, it's an annoyance sure but it isn't on that level.
The Russian girl you were interacting with didn't appreciate your failing to keep your promise. You shouldn't have made a promise, then after that you shouldn't have failed to live up to it.
Of course I can understand that, I feel bad that I didn't however it wasn't intentional and I made a promise that I fully intended to keep as I can tell from the next quote, you're evidently not one to deal with family matters and a death isn't the same as an injury that you can leave knowing everything will be okay, why would I go to Russia when I'm grieving, I wouldn't have fun, she wouldn't have fun and it would be a waste of what could potentially have been a wonderful holiday.
Your mummy dies? then bury her and then get on a plane then curl the toes of your new Russian girlfriend
This part is unacceptable, I don't know you nor where you come from but this isn't attitude that one takes during the loss of a loved one. If you want to bury a loved one then hop on a plane then be my guest but I'm not like that.

As for the part about this being hard and taking up a lot of time, effort and money, I get that and I've no issue with that although I'd say it's quite cheap overall as it's cheaper for me to fly to Moscow and stay in a decent hotel for a week than it is for me to take the Eurostar to Paris for a 3 day weekend which is admittedly baffling but from that perspective, it's cheap as chips.

I'm up for the challenge and I'm going to see if I can sort out the visa within the next couple of weeks and pop over as after thinking about it, I've nothing to lose and I had holiday booked for end of September anyway.

Poldark, While I might have put the points of Popka in a different light he pretty much is spot on. RUA has seen so many whingers, whimps and whiners that it becomes a chant that does not end. Sorting out the visa is pretty much standing in line and forking over some quid, this is not rocket science or international contract law.

RUA can help those who need help - but do not expect much sympathy for the helpless.

I would suggest read some Travel Reports and ask questions as they arise.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 05:48:12 PM »

I'm more in agreement with you and with Steamer and Texan; although Popka makes some good points. You'll probably do just fine. It seems you understand she was disappointed and why. Now you can start over.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 08:20:02 PM »

I'm not, rather it's the ball ache of getting it sorted as I understand in the UK it has to be done in person, at least I went in person last time.

For all Russia's red tape the actual obtaining a Visa process is EASY  - I use http://invitationtorussia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_rsform&view=rsform&formId=11

The only hard part is understanding which Hotel / Bus in inviting you  - if you don't understand Russian - as you have to show this on your online application and it must match the inviting hotel / organisation and the voucher / invite is all in Russian

For sure - get a tourist visa first - as you'll be unlikely to get a M/E visa - without having a visit under your belt

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »

I've ridden dirt bikes not like Jumper, but trail riding and such. Unless you have exposed
bone (fingers don't count) or arterial blood pumping out of you, then you don't complain.
You will be heckled to death by your peers so you don't do it.

The paperwork to get a Russian woman relocated into the US or Canada or even Blighty
is legendary. It takes days of work and thousands of dollars several times over the next
decade. Every married guy here did it, with his girl waiting in the FSU.

So that means shut up about the sour taste in your mouth from licking a postage stamp,
(or getting a visa) or you will be heckled by your peers.

Of course I can understand that, I feel bad that I didn't however it wasn't intentional
and I made a promise that I fully intended to keep as I can tell from the next quote,
you're evidently not one to deal with family matters and a death isn't the same as an
injury that you can leave knowing everything will be okay, why would I go to Russia
when I'm grieving, I wouldn't have fun, she wouldn't have fun and it would be a waste
of what could potentially have been a wonderful holiday.

Now you understand what's expected, so don't make a promise and then not keep it.
Instead of telling her that "Auntie Bessie died, I can't come" you should have said,
Auntie Bessie died, I was her favorite and must attend to the funeral and various
affairs. I've purchased tickets for ________(date here 3 weeks later) I want you
to pick me up at the airport and wear your a black bra and panties under your
clothes, and I will check. 

Now that would be taking charge of things and you would be considered a man of
action. Not a man who didn't keep his promises. Over 90% of men write letters
but never get on a plane. You have an uphill battle to prove that you aren't one
of the 90%.

As for the part about this being hard and taking up a lot of time, effort and money, I
get that and I've no issue with that although I'd say it's quite cheap overall as it's
cheaper for me to fly to Moscow and stay in a decent hotel for a week than it is
for me to take the Eurostar to Paris for a 3 day weekend which is admittedly
baffling but from that perspective, it's cheap as chips.

You think you get that, but the money is the easiest part of this. It's only money. The first
trip(s) almost never work out. You spend time energy and emotional efforts on a girl only
to meet her at the airport and there is no chemistry. Or when you do find your girl and
then getting on a plane and leaving your soulmate behind while you go back to the world
is far tougher than making a few shekels to pay for it.

In the FSU get an apartment not a hotel. There are a hundred reasons for doing this.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline Poldark

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
You think you get that, but the money is the easiest part of this. It's only money. The first trip(s) almost never work out. You spend time energy and emotional efforts on a girl only to meet her at the airport and there is no chemistry. Or when you do find your girl and then getting on a plane and leaving your soulmate behind while you go back to the world is far tougher than making a few shekels to pay for it.

In the FSU get an apartment not a hotel. There are a hundred reasons for doing this.
In all honesty the first trips are going to be me being the usual tourist, like I said in the OP, talking to the girl was purely coincidental and wasn't intentional, she's nice and we're on the same level for a few things but I'd hazard a good guess that we wouldn't work and while I'm not overly invested in her (or anyone), I felt her reaction was strange hence my OP.

I understand that it can be hard to leave a girl behind if you hit it off but time will tell on that one, it's not like I'm exclusively looking in Russia/Ukraine, I'm very much going with the flow.

Care to share some of the reasons as aside from cost, I'm not sure I see any however I spend the majority of my life in hotels and I'm very used to them (clean room every day, spa, gym, room service are god sends) which may be why I'm bias towards a hotel however I'm open to flats, I've seen a couple in Moscow and Kiev that are in decent areas for cheap as chips.

I've also got time off work to sort out the visa and I'll hopefully be off in a month and a bit, shall be interesting if she wants to meet me or not and whether I meet any others while out there! Only annoyance is that if I do enjoy it and want to return, I wouldn't be able to until January which leaves a 3 month gap between visits, perhaps it is wiser to use this one as a 'scouting' trip and then, if I enjoy it, focus from January onwards?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
Care to share some of the reasons as aside from cost, I'm not sure I see any however I spend the majority of my life in hotels and I'm very used to them (clean room every day, spa, gym, room service are god sends) which may be why I'm bias towards a hotel however I'm open to flats, I've seen a couple in Moscow and Kiev that are in decent areas for cheap as chips.

Hotels are controlling of you as well as any guests, a cheap apartment in Kiev will be on the wrong side of the river. Most flats allow you to cook your own breakfast, lunch and dinner. I assume you can at least boil water.

I've also got time off work to sort out the visa and I'll hopefully be off in a month and a bit, shall be interesting if she wants to meet me or not and whether I meet any others while out there! Only annoyance is that if I do enjoy it and want to return, I wouldn't be able to until January which leaves a 3 month gap between visits, perhaps it is wiser to use this one as a 'scouting' trip and then, if I enjoy it, focus from January onwards?

Go to it. Yes see this as a scouting trip, have a clear plan, i.e. museums, sights, etc.

Plan the women in to fit your schedule, be flexible if in Moscow you might ask Steve to assist you.

Plan your work, work your plan.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2017, 06:36:23 AM »

Hotels are controlling of you as well as any guests, a cheap apartment in Kiev will be on the wrong side of the river. Most flats allow you to cook your own breakfast, lunch and dinner. I assume you can at least boil water.

Go to it. Yes see this as a scouting trip, have a clear plan, i.e. museums, sights, etc.

Plan the women in to fit your schedule, be flexible if in Moscow you might ask Steve to assist you.

Plan your work, work your plan.

That sounds funny a "Scouting trip" like some thing out of an old western movie.. you will need more than a Scouting trip in Moscow these days, young women especially from the big cities simply will not be interested in any foreigners on scouting trips.. best not to mention that your on a "scouting trip" Most have no chance what so ever of finding a women that will actually LEAVE the country for them.. its getting harder and harder by the year!

If I was a women from Russia seeking a man , (from my experience how the dating scene has changed , and Im speaking about the guys who go searching for the women) I would ask him to show me his last 12 months bank statements, if he SAYS he has house or apartment I would want to see the deeds translated into Russian.. I would also want to see extensive photos of inside his home, bedroom, toilet, carpets on the floor, I would want to see any divorce papers and how much he pays in maintenance, I would want to see the lot!!

Things have changed very much even in the last few years, many women would have to Down grade to leave Russia..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2017, 06:58:22 AM »
Steve, Baby steps; lets first see if Poldark can get a visa.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2017, 07:20:19 AM »
The average age now , or the usual age shall I say for whats left of FSU women searching a foreign boss is about 40... so for example if your 50 years old and happy with a women 10 years younger than yourself you can still have a good chance..:)

I would say if your like 50 ish you can have a good chance... If your in your thirties , best option is to relocate..then for sure you can succeed..

No one ever did claim my $1000 wedding present for meeting a women like half his age and taking her back home all married and happy..I can't keep that in the draw much longer or the notes will go out of circulation.. :ROFL:

Offline Poldark

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
Oh really? I frequently book hotels for 2 persons, even if it's only me staying, but if I'm going to get issues then a flat would be best as well as it being significantly cheaper. As far as cooking goes, I can good and I'd say I'm quite good at the dishes I frequently cook however I'm very much used to take out and restaurants which will be what I'll do when I'm there, I'm not there to slave over a stove, even if it is for myself!
I've got a very clear plan on the sights, museums etc, not so much bars and clubs as they seem to be lacking information online, in English at least.
That sounds funny a "Scouting trip" like some thing out of an old western movie.. you will need more than a Scouting trip in Moscow these days, young women especially from the big cities simply will not be interested in any foreigners on scouting trips.. best not to mention that your on a "scouting trip" Most have no chance what so ever of finding a women that will actually LEAVE the country for them.. its getting harder and harder by the year!
Scouting trip was maybe the wrong term but I'm looking at this visit as a largely tourist visit due to the gap between this upcoming one and any potential future visit, I've always wanted to visit Moscow, St. Petersburg and head down to Volgograd although I won't do all in one trip, I'd miss out half the good stuff :laugh:
If I was a women from Russia seeking a man , (from my experience how the dating scene has changed , and Im speaking about the guys who go searching for the women) I would ask him to show me his last 12 months bank statements, if he SAYS he has house or apartment I would want to see the deeds translated into Russian.. I would also want to see extensive photos of inside his home, bedroom, toilet, carpets on the floor, I would want to see any divorce papers and how much he pays in maintenance, I would want to see the lot!!

Things have changed very much even in the last few years, many women would have to Down grade to leave Russia..
Considering the visa requirements to bring a woman into the UK, any guy looking to do this needs to ensure they've got the money to do so as you're screwed otherwise (a friend of mine had the income and savings, proof of relationship etc, denied 4 times and cost him £30k to fight it through appeals, nightmare!).

That said, if I were to meet someone and she were to move to the UK, I'd hope she'd have come to the UK a few times first, wouldn't have to show photos or bank statements then, she can see with her own eyes but we shall see.
If your in your thirties , best option is to relocate..then for sure you can succeed..
If I have a good couple of trips then I'd consider a move although only one that is well thought out and financially viable (job and as I'm ACA qualified, I'm sure I could get an accounting gig without issue) but it's far too soon for that.

Thanks guys! Lots to think about :)

Offline yankee

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »

I only needed one reason to get a hotel and not an apartment.   She told me not to get an apartment,  We stayed at the Ukraina hotel in Moscow.  Very good hotel,
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online 2tallbill

Why an apartment rather than a hotel
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »

Why get an apartment and not a hotel?
An apartment is bigger, often less expensive, has a kitchen, refrigerator and
often times a washing machine. You can pack lighter which is a big deal if
you've ever tried to take a suitcase down the death escalators* going to the
Moscow Metro. Many hotels will treat any female guest as if she were a prostitute.
They get a commission from their own prostitutes and they will want one from her.

Many ladies will not even go into a hotel. You can get up at three in the morning
(happens more with us Americans, Canadians, Kiwi's and Australians because of
we have jet lag) in your skivvies and make yourself a sandwich. But the biggest
reason is that you might get the opportunity to "play house" with a beautiful
Russian woman and there is nothing better in this world than that.

If you have an Apartment and a FSU girl friend, there is a 98.97 percent chance
that she will cook, and walk around in her underwear while doing various domestic
things. She might invite over some friends or family and even if things didn't work
out, an apartment is more comfortable. There is nearly a zero percent chance of
playing house.

You can usually arrange airport pickup/drop off from your apartment manager
If you aren't having your girl meet you. You usually don't have daily maid service 
along with fresh sheets and towels, but if you have an FSUW around those types
of things seem to magically get done.

Here is a thread for additional advice
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,4390.0.html

Long steep escalators

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
Re: Why an apartment rather than a hotel
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »

Moscow Metro. Many hotels will treat any female guest as if she were a prostitute.
They get a commission from their own prostitutes and they will want one from her.

Many ladies will not even go into a hotel. You can get up at three in the morning

that she will cook, and walk around in her underwear while doing various domestic
things. She might invite over some friends or family and even if things didn't work
playing house.

You can usually arrange airport pickup/drop off from your apartment manager
If you aren't having your girl meet you. You usually don't have daily maid service 
along with fresh sheets and towels, but if you have an FSUW around those types
of things seem to magically get done.

Here is a thread for additional advice
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,4390.0.html

Long steep escalators

Dirty Bugger!!  :laugh:

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2017, 03:16:01 PM »
Yankee,

It looks like you got the quotes mixed up.

If your girl says to get a hotel or you are only staying for only one night
then your mileage may vary. I still recommend staying in an apartment.

Online 2tallbill

Why an apartment rather than a hotel
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »
Dirty Bugger!!  :laugh:

Definitely guilty of that

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
Re: Why an apartment rather than a hotel
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »

playing house.

Aya, P., you wonderful idealist dreamer... Yes by all points, given that 1. guy is a charmer 2. the city is safe 3. the girl is a lady.

What if... The 1. guy is naive/ not experienced traveler 2. City is Voronezh (recall all the horrors you've heard about 90ies) 3. the girl is not an angel?

It could be very risky and downright dangerous. Imho.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
The number of men who have suffered harm worse than severe embarrassment as the result of renting an apartment for the ostensible purpose of finding a Russian speaking bride can probably counted on the fingers of a man with no arms.

Whilst I think that some people overstate the case for renting an apartment it is certainly more flexible than most hotels. I'd also note that my preference is, given adequate funding, for the pleasures of a good hotel. I think that most sensible women would take the same view. After all, what's a woman going to do if she finds herself confined in an apartment with a bloke of the type we sometimes read of on this site?

A *good* hotel offers women comfort and security not available in a private apartment.

The operative word here being *good*!

Should a bloke whose ability to support himself and any Russian speaking paramour is limited to the type of lodgings where the brothel works out of the 3rd floor or where security is so poorly trained that they are unable to discern between whore and registered guest actually be encouraged to throw his limited resources away?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »
The number of men who have suffered harm worse than severe embarrassment as the result of renting an apartment for the ostensible purpose of finding a Russian speaking bride can probably counted on the fingers of a man with no arms.
Horrible description, but point taken... Tragedies did happen in expat community in Moscow though, in "decent" neighborhoods, and even in the building for diplomats only. I won't post links as i don't want to ruin my own and your mood, but i presume you believe me on my word.

Whilst I think that some people overstate the case for renting an apartment it is certainly more flexible than most hotels. I'd also note that my preference is, given adequate funding, for the pleasures of a good hotel. I think that most sensible women would take the same view. After all, what's a woman going to do if she finds herself confined in an apartment with a bloke of the type we sometimes read of on this site?
I wouldn't. (Even when i was twice younger). It's stupid.

A *good* hotel offers women comfort and security not available in a private apartment.

The operative word here being *good*!

I like P., and i trust his every word. Someone else, i'd say they are just being cheep, trying to save etc. Why cook and clean for a guy who is not your fiancee/ hubby? Who does that?

Should a bloke whose ability to support himself and any Russian speaking paramour is limited to the type of lodgings where the brothel works out of the 3rd floor or where security is so poorly trained that they are unable to discern between whore and registered guest actually be encouraged to throw his limited resources away?
That part surprised me too. Outside of Moscow, i stayed many times in hotels with my ex - it's not written on my forehead i am a foreigner, and basically no one can say that until they see the passport, but never ever anything similar happened. Dunno, maybe it was like that 20y ago, "Interdevochka" the movie etc.  :biggrin:
(I did write before what happened to me in Hotel Cosmos when i was a teen, but it was a KGB officer and they truly didn't have discernment between a high school student accompanying her father on official visit and an interdevochka... It was 80ies mind you.)
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2017, 05:10:53 PM »
I know what used to happen. I know what kind of hotels it happened in. By the time I stopped being a student there were plenty of hotels that the stuff I mentioned did not happen. 18 years ago there was less choice in hotels but one did not have to share one's temporary home with an in-house knocking shop.

If a bloke can not afford lodgings that are better than a university student must use then perhaps that bloke might be well served if he was advised to limit his wife searching to less costly modes.

People get into bad shit but expats are not wife hunters on a ten day break from wage slavery.

Many years ago I enjoyed meeting with new acquaintances in rented apartments but I can't imagine doing so today. A decent hotel is just so much more pleasant, safe and easy. Take your newly acquired inamorata to a spa and book her in for the treatments she wants and enjoy the results of your planning and thoughtfulness. Force her to play house in a rundown apartment and enjoy(?) the fruits of your penuriousness and lack of consideration.

Offline yankee

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2017, 05:18:45 PM »
I know what used to happen. I know what kind of hotels it happened in. By the time I stopped being a student there were plenty of hotels that the stuff I mentioned did not happen. 18 years ago there was less choice in hotels but one did not have to share one's temporary home with an in-house knocking shop.

If a bloke can not afford lodgings that are better than a university student must use then perhaps that bloke might be well served if he was advised to limit his wife searching to less costly modes.

People get into bad shit but expats are not wife hunters on a ten day break from wage slavery.

Many years ago I enjoyed meeting with new acquaintances in rented apartments but I can't imagine doing so today. A decent hotel is just so much more pleasant, safe and easy. Take your newly acquired inamorata to a spa and book her in for the treatments she wants and enjoy the results of your planning and thoughtfulness. Force her to play house in a rundown apartment and enjoy(?) the fruits of your penuriousness and lack of consideration.

I agree
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2017, 05:19:18 PM »

I don't know what you have in mind. I am talking about hotels for foreigners exclusively, from the times of SSSR, mid 80ies. Hotel Cosmos, Ukraine etc. (in Moscow), they were the most expensive and they didn't let local girls in , unless they worked for KGB.
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »

an in-house knocking shop.

Wait... You mean a brothel?!  ;D Far be!!!  :ROFL:
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2017, 05:44:04 PM »
Sadly I did not visit Russia during the 80's and, even if I had I doubt that I would have been considered to be worthy of the attentions and skills of the dark angels of the KGB.

Later though the stuff I mentioned happened in hotels aimed at tourists and individual travellers, I experienced it for myself. This was, I am sure, a product of the times.

Registration