The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Are there areas with the suburban lifestyle in Ukraine?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline rw_recruiter

• Trips: None Yet
Re: Are there areas with the suburban lifestyle in Ukraine?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 01:43:24 AM »
How far of a drive was it into the city? I think in many countries outside the US vehicles are pulled into a secure gated area.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 02:10:16 AM »
Another negative was the fence that goes all around the property. I don't like the idea of having to get out of the car to open the gate to drive in. This seemed common to the neighborhood. In fact, we only drove by one house that was different in this way.

Does anyone know if it is common to Ukrainian suburbs?

Yes most homes have a perimeter fence. Until you come to a farming village they are the norm. It offers a sense of security and privacy.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline justadude

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
I see. That's too bad. Is it a comment on the crime rate? I don't like gated communities in the US either. I know many people do. I guess I could tear down my front fence and move it back to the sides of the house. Maybe I could start a trend toward friendlier neighborhoods!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 01:21:32 AM »
I see. That's too bad. Is it a comment on the crime rate? I don't like gated communities in the US either. I know many people do. I guess I could tear down my front fence and move it back to the sides of the house. Maybe I could start a trend toward friendlier neighborhoods!

The people wishing to relieve you of your riches for free will be grateful.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 03:24:50 AM »

I am my own mechanic, which is why I want a place with a garage)

But I would love to get an old Lada and mod it! Maybe something along these lines, although I've never seen a 2 door like this. I think I would go with a 4 door since they are so much more plentiful. Also, I like the old round headlights. I believe this car is essentially a FIAT 124. It looks a lot like a Datsun 510, which is a serious cult car in the US. Small, light, simple and rear wheel drive. I owned 16 FIAT 124 spiders in the states.

You might be my son from a previous life!  ;D

I'd get that Lada a stuff in a small block American V-8 with a Holley Carb and manifold, a cam and a set of headers. Of course the rest of the drive train too. Show those Ukrainians what real American muscles cars can do! Especially in that light weight body. You could make a sleeper and challenge BMWs and Porches! Put a line lock on your Lada and do burnouts and donuts in the streets.You are young only once!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »

My question. Are there cities in Ukraine with more of a suburban lifestyle? I mean a place where I can rent or buy a small house with a garage. And paved roads are important too. I went to Lviv a week ago. The part I saw was quite beautiful but not really suburban.
I wondered whether it's a concept which we don't have at all in Eastern/ South-East Europe... I went through this paper to understand it better:

"Urban and suburban lifestyles and residential preferences in a highly urbanized society
Experiences from a case study in Ghent (Flanders, Belgium)" by A. Pisman and two co-authors

"It is widely accepted, amongst both qualitative and quantitative researchers, that urban and suburban lifestyles differ from each other. Although these researchers all use the concept of lifestyle in different perspectives – varying from lifestyles as result of behaviour, to lifestyles defined by intentions, preferences or values – there seems to be a growing consensus on the themes that are covered. Themes like economic and cultural status (Bourdieu, Bell and Gans, de Wijs-Mulkens), security (Benjamin, Reijndorp), and diversity (Wirth, Bell and Gans) are all used to describe and identify different lifestyles, in particular urban and suburban ones..."
via: https://belgeo.revues.org/6394

There's not this very division in lifestyles over here i think. As others said - there are "gated communities", but it's very different to "suburban lifestyle".

Actually, maybe  Rublevka in Russia has that "suburban" lifestyle in some aspects, but it's primary definition is that it's very rich. There isn't a visible fence that surrounds it, albeit separate houses have their own walls, gates or whatsoever (big or small) surrounding them.
 When i said there was no "fence" - i did mean not a visible one. But, you can't go there unless you really have something to do and someone is waiting for you. (This is from experience, i've been there.)  You can't even get there by transportation and it's close to impossible to go there by a cab.
That would be Eastern European version of "suburbia", inhabited mostly by people from Forbes list.

Then, you have dachas and dacha-lifestyle. But it's a place where you spend vacation, not for living.

The people wishing to relieve you of your riches for free will be grateful.

This. It's not safe.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
Suburbia, as known to Americans, probably wouldn't happen today. Gated communities recognisable in eastern Europe seem to be the thing but they are not middle class or upper working class as was the case for suburbia US style. Suburbia depends upon a middle class with some fat on it.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 10:36:37 AM »
They have gated communities in Zuid Afrika.....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 11:53:21 AM »
In the RSA I'd expect mantraps, armed security and attack dogs not just a gate  and some walls.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
In the RSA I'd expect mantraps, armed security and attack dogs not just a gate  and some walls.

It is indeed something like that. Close friend's father is the Chief of Mission of their country to RSA. They invited me there to stay with them. Despite the breathtaking photography she posts on her fb, when they had explained the security procedures at the residence, with a heavy heart i declined the invitation  :hidechair:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline justadude

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
You might be my son from a previous life!  ;D

I'd get that Lada a stuff in a small block American V-8 with a Holley Carb and manifold, a cam and a set of headers. Of course the rest of the drive train too. Show those Ukrainians what real American muscles cars can do! Especially in that light weight body. You could make a sleeper and challenge BMWs and Porches! Put a line lock on your Lada and do burnouts and donuts in the streets.You are young only once!
I agree! But it's all EFI and LS1 motors for me these days. Here is my latest, an LS1 Isuzu mini truck. This was early in the build. It runs and drives now.

Offline justadude

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 02:05:40 PM »

Offline justadude

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »
mid engine VW mk1 with GM V6 and big turbo

Offline justadude

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 02:17:15 PM »
Jeep Body on a Corvette chassis. Chevy LS1 power.

LS1 powered '75 Mercedes

There are a few more, but you get the point.

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »
I borrowed a Maserati QP for week here with a view to buying, lovely car, but waste  of money really, we've trams, buses and rail everywhere and nowhere to park in town, plus fecking toll roads. Ireland is the most expensive place in the world to own a car;

1. Motor Tax, same as Car tax in UK, Maserati £500 or so a year in UK, Ireland over £2000. Plus road tolls, none in UK part from M6 Toll road and thats only a shortcut

2. Insurance, same car £500 a year for me in UK, €2800 in Ireland (no claims is EU wide until Brexit).

3. VRT too, import duty, not applicable here but the Gardaí are always on the look out for UK plates to apple the levy - 16% of the original value I think...

Even a 1.5 ltd car is €600 a year Motor Tax.

Still got it out of my system, it's actually cheaper to hire a car for monthly stretches, first quote I had was €130 a week, ok it was a Hyundai i10 but still....

So I splurged some wodge on another guitar, very rare Shergold Marathon 6 string bass, like Hooky's off Joy Division/New Order....

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.