The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: I knew the Musk Ox once roamed Russia  (Read 3022 times)

Offline ?ManyQuestions?

• Trips: 1-5
I knew the Musk Ox once roamed Russia
« on: July 23, 2017, 09:38:15 AM »
This video has confirmed what I have thought to be true for many years. There is no way that the Musk Ox was just from Alaska and Canada alone. The Musk Ox was once able to cross the Bering Strait land bridge in ancient times. The Musk Ox in Russia just suffered a change in climate and ancient humans hunting them in this area.

I don't think the reindeer (caribou) herders care for the Musk Ox though.  :biggrin:

Muskoxen resettlement in Yakutia_eng

2 male Musk Ox fighting for females.

Wood Bison in Yakutia (Sakha Republic)_eng

In this video, I do agree with Alex Taylor's comment.
"Did you say bison migrated to North America in the Jurassic period? I'm afraid that's out by a couple of hundred million years..."  :laugh: (The Jurassic period was during the middle of the Mesozoic Era, during the time of the dinosaurs.)