The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: US banks interfering with dual citizen travel  (Read 2521 times)

Offline yankee

US banks interfering with dual citizen travel
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:51:13 PM »
One week before my wife traveled to Russia I notified our bank (Bank of America) that there may be activity on some of our Visa and Debit cards.  My wife is a dual citizen of Russia and the US.
Two days later we got an unsolicited phone call that they wanted to question my wife.  They offered to give us a telephone number that I could call to verify their intent.  Instead, I reported them to the Fraud division of BoA.  The day my wife left for Russia they locked her Visa card (joint account).
Anyone else have this kind of trouble??
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
US banks interfering with dual citizen travel
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »

BofA is difficult to deal with. They want to charge $3 to check your balance
on a competitors machine even if they don't have an ATM in that State.

No, I had a different sort of trouble with them, canceling my airline ticket
purchase that I bought them online without telling me. It could have caused
me grief but the ticketing agency told me about it.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline rw_recruiter

• Trips: None Yet
Re: US banks interfering with dual citizen travel
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »
Bank of America is one of the worst banks. Tightening up with regulations. They even ask you to show your drivers license when depositing cash into another persons account these days. Or go in and try to withdraw a large sum of money. They give you every excuse in the book until you snap.

We have moved most of our business accounts off BoFA this year because of recurring issues. It will only get worse.

Offline yankee

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »
Bank of America is one of the worst banks. Tightening up with regulations. They even ask you to show your drivers license when depositing cash into another persons account these days. Or go in and try to withdraw a large sum of money. They give you every excuse in the book until you snap.

We have moved most of our business accounts off BoFA this year because of recurring issues. It will only get worse.

Right now we are just moving our credit card transactions to another company.  Fortunately my wife was prepared to deal only in cash in Russia.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »
One week before my wife traveled to Russia I notified our bank (Bank of America) that there may be activity on some of our Visa and Debit cards.  My wife is a dual citizen of Russia and the US.
Two days later we got an unsolicited phone call that they wanted to question my wife.  They offered to give us a telephone number that I could call to verify their intent.  Instead, I reported them to the Fraud division of BoA.  The day my wife left for Russia they locked her Visa card (joint account).

I have found the opposite with regards to Bank of America, but my wife has her own card and account with Bank of America. She uses he card as needed in Ukraine. At one point we twice took out $500 in Kiev and the bank asked us to contact them, we did, no problem, in the end they asked what the weather was like in Kiev.

The most difficult bank cards to use abroad, I find are from Wells Fargo, almost useless beyond the United Kingdom.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot