The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia takes more Georgian territory just ahead of the Trump visit.  (Read 733 times)

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Russia takes more Georgian territory just ahead of the Trump visit.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 03:08:44 AM »
I confess to being interested in this story. As described, it simply isn't congruent with either stated Russian policy or with their concrete actions on the ground.

My strong intuition is that the real story is something else and we are seeing a heavily spun version.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:53:38 AM »
I confess to being interested in this story. As described, it simply isn't congruent with either stated Russian policy or with their concrete actions on the ground.

My strong intuition is that the real story is something else and we are seeing a heavily spun version.
Using the google, I found this "fact" as early as march 2017.... so thats waaay earlier than the Putin/Trump meeting, or even the G20.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 04:00:29 AM »
OK, so that tells us something!

Now we know that the story was a politically planted one designed to upset Trumps foreign policy activities, specifically in respect of Russia and that the goal is to force him to take certain types of action.

This is kompromat. Given the political intent of the story and its publication we can start to understand that the facts will have been manipulated to provide the required narrative.

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 05:02:35 AM »
I checked agenda.ge

http://agenda.ge/news/82452/eng

There is no news about an expansion of territory by Russia. But there is news about the border recently getting barbed wire that is not allowing the locals, farmers and such, to travel freely back and forth over that border. 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 07:29:16 AM »
So, Maxx, now we seem to be getting to the bottom of matters.

Not expansion, not invasion, just marking the borders and THAT certainly fits with Russian policy and other actions on the ground.

Interesting.