The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Apartments  (Read 213 times)

Online justadude

• Trips: 1-5
Apartments
« on: July 11, 2017, 09:14:55 AM »
I am on a trip in Ukraine right now, and will be here until August. I am considering a lengthier stay in the future. I have been primarily using Airbnb to find lodging. It is fine, but at a daily rate I realize that I am paying a lot more than I would be if month to month.

I want to find out about the best way to go about finding a long term apartment. I have met a couple of friends here who are paying between $180 to $250 for an apartment that is so so. If I live here semi-permanently I would be looking for something in a newer building that is nicer. Will $500 per month get you a pretty decent place in a big city in a newer building? What is the best way to shop for an apartment? Real Estate agent?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Apartments
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »
In what area (city) do you want to live in?

Kiev I understand is the most expensive, followed by L'viv.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:22:14 PM »
If you are just starting out then I'd always suggest using an agent, at least for your first place. It will cost you more money but there's loads of benefits for a newcomer to town.  In fact, I'd go further than suggesting using an agent, I'd suggest that you look for places where the agent actually manages the place on behalf of the owner.

Dealing directly with the owner as a newbie foreigner is kinda like being a sheep walking into a sheep shearing pen and asking to keep a little wool for the colder days! You'll get well and truly shorn and you'll probably have no idea what went wrong!

Later on you may well find that you no longer need this kind of support, but on Day One, Week One, yeah, it will make life a lot easier.

As for pricing, well, that's a local thing but to get started look at one of the larger real estate listings sites. Here's one that popped up: http://ukraine.realigro.com/for-sale/property/#ricerca I have no idea how many properties they have but it is a start. You can start to get a feel for what places are going to cost and what you get for the money.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 05:09:34 PM »
First google apartments.

Once you rent, deal direct with the land lords.

I use dobovo.com
And suggest you get help and use: https://www.olx.ua/uk/

There are also several arenda sites, and apartment sites for nightly use.

Yes, $500/month is doable year round in most of Ukraine - But, have a local do most of your negotiation. Once a landlord trusts you, you do not need a passport. At least, I don't.

PS: EVERYONE involved in your 'real estate deal' you do not personally know, is getting a cut. So, I suggest to hire someone on your behalf, and only on your behalf.

Online justadude

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 10:04:31 AM »
Thanks. Someone else told me about OLX. It seems pretty cool but my browser doesn't seem to want to translate it. I used it to look for cars and apartments. An ex-pat helped me see inside one nicer place for $800 per month and I found an English speaking agent who showed me a couple of nice brand new places in the same price range. They even had dishwashers and a washing machine that also dried clothes.

This satisfied my curiosity for now: I think I can get something in a nice building for $800/month, maybe less, with an underground parking space.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 02:30:03 PM »
For your first place I'd suggest looking for a fully furnished place That's another good reason to seek out a proper agent, preferably one who manages the places on their books. The last thing you want is a furnished place where the furniture is all crap and/or broken and you certainly don't want a private landlord who will try to screw you when you leave or lumber you with specious inspections. A professional agent won't do that stuff. They will furnish the place with decent, if sturdy, furniture and they have better things to do than shake you down for a heavily used mattress.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus