The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Gifts for your visit  (Read 11127 times)

Offline rw_recruiter

• Trips: None Yet
Gifts for your visit
« on: July 09, 2017, 08:57:34 PM »
I am curious as to what other members brought as gifts to the women and families. What was well received? What is something that made them smile?

For father I was thinking a nice bottle of American bourbon. Her older brother I have already sent a gift to, but have another in mind. For Inessa I thought the gift of travel or some nice American designer brands would make her happy.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Gifts for your visit
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:50:29 PM »
I am curious as to what other members brought as gifts to the women and families. What was well received? What is something that made them smile?

For father I was thinking a nice bottle of American bourbon. Her older brother I have already sent a gift to, but have another in mind. For Inessa I thought the gift of travel or some nice American designer brands would make her happy.

Don't worry about taking gifts with you. The ladies in Odessa are known to be very peculiar in their shopping tastes. Many will oblige a shopping trip or 2 given the opportunity...
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 03:32:51 AM »
Cars, with names that begin with M are gratefully accepted, Masserati, Mercedes or if you are frugal Mini.

But why not bring maple syrup, the uses are numerous and it is superior to what is local.

If a relationship develops buy her an orchid, in a nice vase or pot. 
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:59:13 AM »
Meeting a lady for the first time and having communicated with her on many an occasion - perfume. You cant go wrong with perfume and you get to chose a scent that you like.

Presents for the family can vary but going over board with gifts for a woman and a family you may never see doesn't make sense. Go visit the girl first, hit it off then worry about the family. If you insist on taking stuff, make sure its thoughtful, inexpensive stuff from your own country.

Offline justadude

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
I'm relatively new to this but more info might help. I will assume, as did other posters, apparently, that you are traveling to visit someone you have not yet met in person. I brought gifts on my first trip in December. On that trip I did have one particular woman I had planned to meet. I brought her some chocolate and wine from my home state. I think it was a good idea. She appreciated it. Her and I had a whirlwind relationship that ended badly.

This trip, I had no particular girl in mind. This trip is for several weeks. For the women I have met this time I don't think gifts from home would go over that well.

Disclaimer: I do not consider myself to be particularly successful at this endeavor, so take my experiences with a grain or two of salt at best.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 03:08:10 PM »
Cars, with names that begin with M are gratefully accepted, Masserati, Mercedes or if you are frugal Mini.

An apartment in Kiev won't hurt. Gold. Precious stones. Fur. A  :travel:  A  :plane: 

But, i am sure  maple syrup and a nice pot would do  ;D ;D ;D

If seriously - perfume. If she doesn't like it (which will most probably be the case), she can give it to a friend on her BDay. The friend will forward it to someone else and so and so on. Hopefully, the perfume will last in their circle of friends for couple of years, as long as someone doesn't brake it by chance  ;D
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »

My go to gifts are the two t's. T shirts and tequila, but not in that order.  :laugh:

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 05:35:37 PM »
Meeting a lady for the first time and having communicated with her on many an occasion - perfume. You cant go wrong with perfume and you get to chose a scent that you like.

Presents for the family can vary but going over board with gifts for a woman and a family you may never see doesn't make sense. Go visit the girl first, hit it off then worry about the family. If you insist on taking stuff, make sure its thoughtful, inexpensive stuff from your own country.

Agreed perfume is a decent option, but as Volshe says, it can be hit or miss. I have already spoken to her brother several times so assume we will meet if he is able to take leave. But as others say, we may not click initially and it goes downhill from there.

brought her some chocolate and wine from my home state. I think it was a good idea. She appreciated it. Her and I had a whirlwind relationship that ended badly.

Thanks dude. Chocolate is not a bad idea, but not something local to where I live. Do they have good chocolate in Eastern Europe?

Sorry to hear it did not work out between you.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 05:45:18 PM »
Do they have good chocolate in Eastern Europe?

The current president of Ukraine is referred to as the "chocolate king" since he owns "Roshen" which is a confectionary company.  Do not know about the quality of their candies.  Swiss chocolates have a good reputation (such as Lindt).  A good chocolate brand in the US is from See's Candies.  If anyone remembers the "I love Lucy" TV episode about Lucy working in the candy factory, she was given an intro to the candy packaging process at See's.   ;D
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »

The current president of Ukraine is referred to as the "chocolate king" since he owns "Roshen" which is a confectionary company.  Do not know about the quality of their candies.  Swiss chocolates have a good reputation (such as Lindt).  A good chocolate brand in the US is from See's Candies.  If anyone remembers the "I love Lucy" TV episode about Lucy working in the candy factory, she was given an intro to the candy packaging process at See's.   ;D

Ah yes, Poroshenko does own candy factories. When I think chocolate I think of Belgium. Sees is excellent btw, always loved their candy.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »

Croatian "Kraš" is excellent (albeit it's technically SE Europe ;)) and i personally ADORE some Russian production, for example this "Мишка Косолапый" (http://russiapedia.rt.com/of-russian-origin/mishka-kosolapiy/), and this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptasie_mleczko

They go greatly with strong black tea (the candies are served instead of sugar)  :loving:

The rest of EE production... Not really  (imho, this is really not meant to offend anyone, just personal preference ...)  :-X
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
Croatian "Kraš" is excellent (albeit it's technically SE Europe ;))

Looks like quite a bit of history behind this chocolatier.   http://www.kras.hr/en/history

I have heard Croatia is a wonderful place to visit with excellent seafood and coastline. Not a common destination for us in the Western Hemisphere, but one that has much natural beauty.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
Leonidas

A rocker (general) from Greece. - In fact the chocolate is from Belgium  Wonderful Chocolate.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 05:33:49 PM »
REAL PEANUT BUTTER. No added sugar or coconut oil. They have that in limited quantities.

Zip lock bags.

Good Electronics.

Bring something from your state. A tour guide book. Or a coffee table type book with photos.

Wayne

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 05:34:32 PM »
PS Great Sea food, but I would recommend that for a later trip.

Also, corn tortillas if you want to cook Mexican for yourself while there.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 01:01:47 AM »
Good Electronics.
I wouldn't recommend that on first date.

Also be aware that not all countries have the same electronic plugs or power-system.

USA uses 110V i believe, whilst most of Europe + Ukraine uses 220V.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 01:05:17 AM »
Good Electronics.

Also be aware that not all countries have the same electronic plugs or power-system.

But most modern electronics are fine with either as far as I am aware, no? All you would need is an adapter?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 01:22:12 AM »
Good Electronics.

But most modern electronics are fine with either as far as I am aware, no? All you would need is an adapter?
In both Europe and USA it is required by law to mention all possible input/output values of the powerblock of the device. You can check there which electronic nets it will fit on.

Most of my appliances have 110V/220V on the power block meaning i can use them both locally and in the USA. For things like smart phones and laptops its even easier, just buy a separate charger if the supplied one doesn't fit.

Also be aware that Cyrillic keyboards / Russian language manuals may not be available locally (laptops, mobile phones, etc.). (Did you even consider this fact?)

Also , most mobile phones sold are 'locked' to a region. In Netherlands I know how to get around that but its another example of things you need to take into account buying electronic gadgets for foreigners.

So many pitfalls I definitely wouldn't recommend electronics for beginners. And most certainly not on first-date scenario's.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 01:32:46 AM »
Good Electronics.

In both Europe and USA it is required by law to mention all possible input/output values of the powerblock of the device. You can check there which electronic nets it will fit on.

Most of my appliances have 110V/220V on the power block meaning i can use them both locally and in the USA. For things like smart phones and laptops its even easier, just buy a separate charger if the supplied one doesn't fit.

Also be aware that Cyrillic keyboards / Russian language manuals may not be available locally (laptops, mobile phones, etc.). (Did you even consider this fact?)

And most certainly not on first-date scenario's.

Correct. Almost all devices these days are dual voltage. That worry is mostly a thing of the past. Gifting a woman a Dell 7000 series or brand new iphone on the first date is another matter.

The keyboards I am aware of, I am a tech headhunter. I speak to Russian and Ukrainian developers frequently.

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 01:36:45 AM »
When is the last time anyone read a training manual?  :)

Online AvHdB

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 01:55:47 AM »

Two weeks ago, a new furling system, I still managed to wrap the control line backwards on the drum, oops.

Ever buy flat pack furniture from IKEA?

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 02:12:39 AM »
Two weeks ago, a new furling system, I still managed to wrap the control line backwards on the drum, oops.

Ever buy flat pack furniture from IKEA?

There are exceptions but with electronics I do not know of anyone that has read a manual in years. If a woman in her twenties cannot figure out how to use an iphone or tablet there is something wrong with her.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 02:25:21 AM »

When all else fails, read the manual.

OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 02:29:28 AM »
Life is too short to waste time pretending to be some kind of Alpha by ignoring the information provided by the manufacturer.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 02:31:26 AM »
Life is too short to waste time pretending to be some kind of Alpha by ignoring the information provided by the manufacturer.

I still read the manual on Red Hat Enterprise Linux sometimes, but thats a whole different ballgame than your household manuals :)
OO===[][]===OO

Registration