The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Warning for those travelling to Moscow Piter Sochi or Kazan during footie 2017/8  (Read 3121 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
When travelling to Russia, one normally has to register your Visa - says where you are staying - within 3 days - if staying at a hotel - this is done by the hotel - but if you are staying in an apt, with friends or family THEY are responsible to register you.

Imagine our surprise, today when we were told at the Post Office, "Because Sochi is a Host City, you should have registered within 1 day at the Federal Migration Service - there will be a fine "

This covers Moscow, Piter Kazan and Sochi - as far as I can ascertain - the FMS lady sent us packing to a Police Stn - who sent us to another  - who had NO idea what the fine could be for and had to get the Federal law code 'infringed' and amount.

Tomorrow, we have to go back to the FMS office - proving we paid the 2000 Rub fine ( £26 GBP/ 32 USD / 30 Euro) - the kind Policeman allowed us to send a Whatsapp image of proof of payment and promised to make sure the FMS knew it was paid

This law applies for two weeks either side of the tournaments

So, why didn't immigration / passport control hand out a warning leaflet or why wasn't there warning for citizens acting as hosts ?

I have made  Fifa's coordinator at Sochi aware of the problems this is causing and if the flipping Police don't know...

Madness

Naturally, we were met with the usual shoulder shrugging and buck passing - but at least other's will be forewarned

This applies to folks travelling to the Host cities using the normal visa regimes - NOT those with FIFA fan IDs

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Just got sent this link:

https://www.bfm.ru/news/357545

Basically, this temp legislation is causing hvoc

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

Update:

1/ The fines are from 2k - 7k Roubles for the Russian citizen / firm responsible for registering your presence.

2/ The special rules apply to the HOST cities only ...

"From 1 June to 12 July 2017, all foreign nationals (even those staying for under 7 working days) will have to register within 24 hours of arriving in one of the four Confederations Cup cities – Moscow, St Petersburg, Kazan and Sochi. This registration is normally done by your hotel or guest house, but it’s your responsibility to check that it’s been done. You should book your accommodation in advance and check that your hotel has registered your stay"

Source: UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office  https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/russia/entry-requirements

So, if travelling abroad - even if you go to that country a lot  - I learnt it is easy for one to fall foul of temporary immigration changes - and to CHECK for such changes before EVERY trip

I STILL think every arriving foreigner should be given this information at passport control

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
When travelling to Russia, one normally has to register your Visa - says where you are staying - within 3 days - if staying at a hotel - this is done by the hotel - but if you are staying in an apt, with friends or family THEY are responsible to register you.

Imagine our surprise, today when we were told at the Post Office, "Because Sochi is a Host City, you should have registered within 1 day at the Federal Migration Service - there will be a fine "

This covers Moscow, Piter Kazan and Sochi - as far as I can ascertain - the FMS lady sent us packing to a Police Stn - who sent us to another  - who had NO idea what the fine could be for and had to get the Federal law code 'infringed' and amount.

Tomorrow, we have to go back to the FMS office - proving we paid the 2000 Rub fine ( £26 GBP/ 32 USD / 30 Euro) - the kind Policeman allowed us to send a Whatsapp image of proof of payment and promised to make sure the FMS knew it was paid

This law applies for two weeks either side of the tournaments

So, why didn't immigration / passport control hand out a warning leaflet or why wasn't there warning for citizens acting as hosts ?

I have made  Fifa's coordinator at Sochi aware of the problems this is causing and if the flipping Police don't know...

Madness

Naturally, we were met with the usual shoulder shrugging and buck passing - but at least other's will be forewarned

This applies to folks travelling to the Host cities using the normal visa regimes - NOT those with FIFA fan IDs

'Poor' andrewfi - our armchair expert in things Russia, dating, relationships, psychology , is having a bad weekend ...

You mean you spend half your time in Russia and you are not aware of what is going on immigration wise ? Doesn't mrs Moby do this sort of thing for you as standard??? Anyone with any sense ALWAYS keeps an eye on this sort of information, its information that is publicly available on all Government sites relating to immigration ..

Moby the Armchair Russian expert  :laugh:

So now you have 1 life gone out of your 3 lets hope you get deported in the near future for more stupid mistakes..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Russia is really goofy with its visa and registering process. That whole apparatus should be shitcanned like Saakasvili did to the police in Georgia. He fired them ALL and trained in new recruits to replace them with cops that won't be bribed.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
Russia is really goofy with its visa and registering process. That whole apparatus should be shitcanned like Saakasvili did to the police in Georgia. He fired them ALL and trained in new recruits to replace them with cops that won't be bribed.

Its not so easy to bribe a cop in Russia today...((

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

Its not so easy to bribe a cop in Russia today...((

Koneshno, steveboy ..

Whether you want to - or not - as you are considered as guilty as the policemen - if you pay up - it is happening.

I truly believed this was a thing of the past - wanted to believe it.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

You mean you spend half your time in Russia and you are not aware of what is going on immigration wise ?

Exactly, Steveboy

1/ I was in the UK half - hence ARRIVING into a revised and temporary system..  It's been register with 7 working days at the Post Office for years .... and it still IS for folks not in Moscow, Piter, Sochi and Kazan

2/ LOADS of locals - who LIVE here, have been caught out by it.  Even the Police didn't know the 'offence' for which the 'crime' had to be allocated to on the system

Doesn't mrs Moby do this sort of thing for you as standard??? Anyone with any sense ALWAYS keeps an eye on this sort of information, its information that is publicly available on all Government sites relating to immigration ..

Moby the Armchair Russian expert  :laugh:

As, posted originally - it wasn't generally known about and I checked on FMS sites - after SC was fined.

It is ( now) listed on the UK Foreign and Commonwealth site and I will certainly be more vigilant in the future.

So now you have 1 life gone out of your 3 lets hope you get deported in the near future for more stupid mistakes..

I'm quite happy to post my 'mistakes' and warn others who might otherwise fall foul of this temporary regime.

Interesting that 'experts' who live here permanently - who knew such things - decided not to warn fellow members ...

Hopefully, a better system for processing registration will be in place for next year's World Cup Final

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Steve, I think that you were referring to Moby, not myself, above.

When I travel I try to keep abreast of the regulations applicable to me. Unlike some, I am not a special snowflake for whom rules should not apply.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
Steve, I think that you were referring to Moby, not myself, above.

When I travel I try to keep abreast of the regulations applicable to me. Unlike some, I am not a special snowflake for whom rules should not apply.

Yes exactly! Funny this man is happy to call others "arm chair ++++++" but he cannot even manage to keep track of visa regulations! If your living in Russia or spending lots of time here you need to keep track of every thing. You can wake up in the morning and hey presto a valid document to stay in Russia is not valid any more! It happened to my wife a few years ago before she changed her passport.
Next time the fine will be 5000roubles after that its 10,000 then a chance of being deported for 5 years..I would love to see Moby in a Russian prison I will take him a herring and soup  :laugh:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Steveboy, it might have escaped your notice, but I was the one advising others, who might easily fall in the same 'trap'. 

You claim you knew, but forgot to mention it here.. No mention ..as of now.. on your website..for  which your visiting punters will be 'grateful'..

But thx for reminding us how often things change here and how easily one can unwittingly fall foul of something that was legal, yesterday.

I am sure you have complied with the obligation in Russia to run a separate cashbook and receipts system for online transactions... since July 1st...  As you aren't a religous organisation or a shoe repairer.. you should be compliant..even if sending receiving overseas..

In the meantime, I have no concerns about my visa rights, (or 'prison' ) as I have talked to FIFA, the Russia Minister for Sport (South) who were guest with me at the Russian International Olympic University last week.