The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian protest  (Read 137 times)

Online Texan77

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
Russian protest
« on: June 12, 2017, 08:01:03 PM »
It seems some people feel that Russia has a corruption problem. It does not appear that it I easy to protest in Russia.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/moscow-jails-russian-opposition-leader-amid-protests/ar-BBCxBQw?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=U218DHP

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Russian protest
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:54:14 PM »
It seems some people feel that Russia has a corruption problem. It does not appear that it I easy to protest in Russia.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/moscow-jails-russian-opposition-leader-amid-protests/ar-BBCxBQw?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=U218DHP

Tex,

How are you?

Don't you know that is the terrible Western Media stirring up trouble between US and Russia. Russia never jails anyone for protests, they never kill civil rights activists, and EVERYTHING is ok with the Emperor's wardrobe. He just looks like he doesn't have clothes on.

Wayne

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 01:50:52 AM »
The reactions to the protests across the nation are interesting

Govt - took out Navalny before he could attend the demonstration in Moscow - cutting off electricity and internet access - then jailing him for 30 days for organising an illegal demonstration

Media - that controlled by the govt -  concentrated on portraying VVP celebrating Russia day

Someone I know :  'liked' an article suggesting 'revolution' in Russia has brought 'nothing but good' and 'we need stability'..

Someone else I know : shared an article on facebook covering the protests showing a  muscular guy holding a Russian flag, with a t-shirt "СТОП ХУ#ЛО!!!"   Comments varying from  "well done" to being arrested for selling state secrets...

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 02:15:05 AM »
Wayne, You overlooked that Russian authorities hold journalists in the highest respect for their honesty. Av
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 06:51:40 AM »
I missed that!

All I have to do is hold CNN and BBC in high regard.

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »
Wayne, You overlooked that Russian authorities hold journalists in the highest respect for their honesty. Av

I wonder which situation is better. Over here where "journalists" just make sh*! up to satisfy their puppet masters or over there where there is far more of a unified country?

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 01:35:48 PM »

I wonder which situation is better. Over here where "journalists" just make sh*! up to satisfy their puppet masters or over there where there is far more of a unified country?

'Unified message' - from the state controlled media and outlets run by mates of the state, sure....