The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Russia- Qatar connection.  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
The Russia- Qatar connection.
« on: June 06, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »
There's several sides to this story, who's telling the truth?

US suspects Russia planted fake news in Qatar: report

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/336638-us-suspects-russia-planted-fake-news-in-qatar-report
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

Re: The Russia- Qatar connection.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 07:38:01 PM »
Qatar row: Trump claims credit for isolation

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40175935
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:41:53 PM »
Qatar and Its Neighbors Have Been At Odds Since the Arab Spring

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/mideast/qatar-its-neighbors-have-been-odds-arab-spring-n768966

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »
Saudi beef with Qatar may be about gas, not terrorism

https://www.rt.com/business/391069-qatar-saudi-arabia-gas-dispute/

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »
Qatar and Its Neighbors Have Been At Odds Since the Arab Spring

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/mideast/qatar-its-neighbors-have-been-odds-arab-spring-n768966

TC,

Since the Arab Spring says it all, doesn't it?

Wayne

Offline Wiz

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 09:07:44 AM »
Trump's Saudi visit triggered Qatar- Gulf crisis

Most conflicts starting around the world have to do with the control and domination of natural resources! The only people that basically prosper are the kings and leaders of the nations involved and also the industrial military complexes, especially the US with its huge military defence industries, army and bases around the world.

All the states around the Arabian peninsular are run by various despotic families and are not democratic as most western countries. All of them rely heavily for their wealth in oil and gas exports and that is the case of Qatar who have the cheapest cost in the production of gas, which is exporting in the form of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).

There was a proposal to build a Qatar-Turkey pipeline for natural gas, supported by the US, from the Iranian–Qatari “South Pars / North Dome Gas-Condensate field” towards Turkey, where it could connect with the “Nabucco pipeline” to supply European customers as well as Turkey. The route to Turkey was via Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Syria (Friendship Pipeline) and another was through Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Iraq but both options were refused by Syria. Syria's rationale for rejecting the Qatar proposal was said to be "to protect the interests of its Russian ally, which is Europe's top supplier of natural gas.

Theory relating to Syrian conflict see also Iran-Iraq-Syria pipeline

Qatar’s offshore North Field, which provides all the country’s gas, is shared with Iran.

In 1981 the Gulf States created the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) but it has never been a perfectly functioning body. The six member states of the GCC still struggle to coordinate on economic, security and infrastructure matters, and have many times clashed over the demarcation of borders and allocation of joint resources. However, like all families despite its many problems and disagreements, the GCC still holds together.

The attack on the small but rich Qatar, it is 3rd in the world for natural gas reserves, it is linked to the exacerbated confrontation between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The Saudis regard Tehran as the main evil in the Middle East and seek to create an alliance of Arab countries for countering the Iranian threat.

For the Trump administration, the 'terrorist' label is little more than a foreign policy tool of the US and its allies. Two weeks after President Donald Trump’s visited Saudi Arabia where he called for Arab and Muslim unity to “drive out” extremists and terrorists, on Monday 5th June 17, key Gulf Arab states and Egypt have severed diplomatic ties with the State of Qatar. For the first time in their history, Gulf states have imposed a siege on one of their own.

On Tuesday, Trump used Twitter to praise the diplomatic breakthrough as a key success of his trip, strongly suggesting that he supports the isolation of Qatar

We must not forget that the US has a very large and important air base in the small, in size, Qatar and from there they control all the Middle East Muslim countries keeping an eye on Iran, provide protection for their subordinated large client in the Arabian peninsular, Saudi Arabia, holder of many billions of petrodollars invested in the American banks and the Wall street. President Trump has to play a very careful and balanced game not to destroy the status quo in the area, so yesterday evening he announced that he has been in touch with the Authorities in Qatar and offered to help to restore relationships with the other members of the GCC and Egypt.
Qatar - according to various experts -  has pursued an independent policy and has now paid the price. The recent statements by Qatar’s ruler, Emir Tamim that Iran is an important regional power and its role should be taken into account, have been condemned in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia.

Qatar officials, later, described the emir's remarks as fake news but that did not stopped the wrath of the Saudis because it cooperates with Iran and Syria, where the countries are negotiating an exchange of prisoners between the Shiites and Sunnis.

President Donald Trump's visit to Riyadh on 24 May also played a role. He fully supported the Saudi kingdom and made the statement that “Iran is the main threat to the Middle East”. Shortly after the visit, the Saudis decided to strike at the defiant emirate.

Relations between Russia and Qatar are not very good because they are competitors on the natural gas market. Some commentators have suggested that the war in Syria broke out after Russia's ally, Bashar al-Assad, blocked the idea of a gas pipeline going through the territory of his country to reach Europe. Additionally Qatar has been supporting the opposition forces against the ally of Russia, Bashar al-Assad.

Presidential press secretary Dmitry Peskov has said Russia is not going to interfere in the Gulf's internal affairs and expressed hope that the situation will be resolved peacefully. He refused to comment on the accusations that Qatar supports terrorism.

The Arabian peninsula is a confusing place right now. Qatar's neighbours have cut long-standing alliances overnight. Another historically strong alliance between the UAE and US is being strained by emails which have been leaked. The UAE ambassador was revealed to have coordinated closely with the most hawkish pro-Israel think-tanks in Washington to promote a view of the Middle East that position the conservative monarchies, military dictatorships and Israel as the bulwark against Iranian expansionism and Sunni Islamists.

In the third disclosure within a week, emails from the inbox of the UAE's ambassador to the US show direct criticism of President Donald Trump. Previous leaks attacked Kuwait, Qatar, and Iran.

Many commentators wonder, what are the ramifications?

:coffeeread:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline el_guero

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:02:19 PM »
WIZ,

You don't really trust Wiki, do you?

Or was their article just making you ROFL, so you wanted us to :ROFL: as well?

:ROFL:

Why would Qatar want to become involved in Syria where they have very few investments? This is the question the analist Felix Imonti poses in an article recently published by specialized website 'Oilprice.com' and by Joshua Landis' Siria Comment.

Thanks for the laugh.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 05:05:52 AM »
WIZ,

You don't really trust Wiki, do you?

Or was their article just making you ROFL, so you wanted us to :ROFL: as well?

:ROFL:

Why would Qatar want to become involved in Syria where they have very few investments? This is the question the analist Felix Imonti poses in an article recently published by specialized website 'Oilprice.com' and by Joshua Landis' Siria Comment.

Thanks for the laugh.

I do not trust Wiki implicitly but it does have some very useful information.

It is well known fact that Hillary and her friends, together with the ex president Obama,  supported and still support the opposition terrorists in their effort to depose the legally elected president of Syria. It transpires that your Governments, past and present, have invaded Syria illegally, support the ISIL and now try to establish Raqqah as their Capital with the help of your own mercenaries and special units, fighting the Syrian army.

On the other hand, I do not understand what you are talking about.........therefore I can't comment in your sarcastic remarks neither laugh with you.

Actually it's the second time that you make those one line comments and you did not replied to my previous request for explanations.

Have a nice day!
 :smokin:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline el_guero

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 05:47:55 PM »
Wiz.

I bolded the funny part.

Anal-ists your article called them by their knick name, not by their usual 'Intelligence Analysts.' They are often wrong, and very well paid.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 01:27:57 AM »
Wiz.

I bolded the funny part.

Anal-ists your article called them by their knick name, not by their usual 'Intelligence Analysts.' They are often wrong, and very well paid.

WHERE in my post have I wrote the text you are referring to, in YOUR quotation that made you laugh?

I can only guess, it was "Happy hour" for you, when you made these posts and that is the reason I fail to understand what you were talking about!  ???

We are not amused!

:coffeeread:

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 08:57:24 AM »

Offline el_guero

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
Wiz,

You quoted Wiki, I actually read the article wiki referred to ...

Wayne