The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Ukraine going too far ?  (Read 893 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Ukraine going too far ?
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:27:38 AM »
Following on from the St Georges Ribbon ban , Ukraine has ( apparently ) geo-blocked  many RU based Social media and mail based sites.  ( OK, VK, mail.ru - I do not know the extent of the list )

I say apparently, as I haven't heard the news myself ... just heard it discussed

Whilst I fully get WHY Ukraine is fed up with Kremlin interference - this a HUGE mistake

1/ The Kremlin trolls were celebrating the non-presence of many of the Ukrainians who could put their case on RU based social networks

2/ Losing access to one's email - possibly contacts and photos - with no notice - hardly fair or wise

3/ We know PLENTY of Ukrainian citizens living in RU with relatives in UA who use OK, VK, etc., to keep in touch  ...Why penalise them ?

4/ Geo-blocking is not hard to circumvent with VPNs

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Ukraine going too far ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:55:19 AM »

A bit more info ...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/16/ukraine-blocks-popular-russian-websites-kremlin-role-war

"Ukraine blocks popular social networks as part of sanctions on Russia
President’s decree prevents access to some of country’s most visited websites, sparking outcry from users"

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:44:56 AM »
4/ Geo-blocking is not hard to circumvent with VPNs

New business opportunity for you as this is your area of expertise.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:23:28 AM »
...funny you should say that....

Seriously, I've always found in my life that when someone says no  - you can't do that or bans something - it becomes more of a challenge to 'get around' the petty obstacles.

I use yandex, navigator, search and email facilities, 1S accounting,  OK, watch RU tv ..   as do many Ukrainians

It's not going to be illegal to circumvent the geo-blocking or watch RU tv, so it all seems rather silly

The very same 'biased' organisations that have criticised some Kremlin stunts are on Ukraine's case

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/05/16/ukraine-revoke-ban-dozens-russian-web-companies

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 06:37:55 AM »
Moby, Do try to keep up on another thread there was this information.

Yep, Ukraine definitely is much better off under Poroshenko's leadership.  (:)

Ukraine: Revoke Ban on Dozens of Russian Web Companies

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/05/16/ukraine-revoke-ban-dozens-russian-web-companies

If this was the only example of Ukraine stupidity, I would shrug but Yandex and other RU domains have millions of Ukraine customers. It seems to be a good way to disenfranchise a relative large group of voters.

Another example of the lack of intelligence in the Rada is the renaming of hundreds of streets in Ukraine to name not associated with Russia. Perhaps I could understand if the renamed streets were USSR relics but we are talking about Moscow and Tolstoy Avenue's, Street's and Way's. Worse instead of persons above repute you are seeing Bandera and even more dubious characters from Ukraine past history.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:25:01 PM »
Moby, Do try to keep up on another thread there was this information.

Yep, Ukraine definitely is much better off under Poroshenko's leadership.  (:)

Ukraine: Revoke Ban on Dozens of Russian Web Companies

If this was the only example of Ukraine stupidity, I would shrug but Yandex and other RU domains have millions of Ukraine customers. It seems to be a good way to disenfranchise a relative large group of voters.

Another example of the lack of intelligence in the Rada is the renaming of hundreds of streets in Ukraine to name not associated with Russia. Perhaps I could understand if the renamed streets were USSR relics but we are talking about Moscow and Tolstoy Avenue's, Street's and Way's. Worse instead of persons above repute you are seeing Bandera and even more dubious characters from Ukraine past history.

One can tell there has been a LOT of anger in Ukraine towards Russian domination for a very long time. BUT, I don't think renaming Zhukov from history is the smartest move ...

Registration