The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Accountability, and the main stream media.  (Read 738 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Accountability, and the main stream media.
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:06:33 PM »
Does anyone else feel as I do that mainstream media should be held accountable for what they pass off as journalism?
It's gotten to be that truth is no longer a part of reporting news.
Why has this become acceptable practice with today's media?
Maybe a disclaimer stating story and facts may be fabricated should be placed in each article.
Much like warnings about tobacco, mainstream media is just another form of cancer in society.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline GreyScales

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Accountability, and the main stream media.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »
Does anyone else feel as I do that mainstream media should be held accountable for what they pass off as journalism?
Maybe a disclaimer stating story and facts may be fabricated should be placed in each article.
Much like warnings about tobacco, mainstream media is just another form of cancer in society.

I've felt this way for a while. The problem is, at least in the US, we can't pass a federal or state law to force accountability or labeling. This is because of the first amendment - the "press" is free to say whatever they want. I fear there's no way other than lawsuits to change things.

GS

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:45:06 PM »

The Washington Post in particular is known for being edited by and being a mouthpiece for the CIA. Trump upset many rogue types and establishment types in that organization last year and early this year with some of his remarks.

What's going on right now is the "deep state" is doing their best to embarrass him and stop him from keeping promises to voters.  It's probably only going to get worse, sadly.

And I agree 100% with your last thought. It's a cancerous tumor for sure.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:46:25 PM »

I've felt this way for a while. The problem is, at least in the US, we can't pass a federal or state law to force accountability or labeling. This is because of the first amendment - the "press" is free to say whatever they want. I fear there's no way other than lawsuits to change things.

GS

Our press is not free. It's owned by a Zionist cabal that answers first to Israel and 2nd to the CIA. It's anything but free.

Registration