The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How is Odessa these days?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
How is Odessa these days?
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:08:19 AM »
I have been to Kiev twice but I am planning to visit Odessa this summer. Who has been there lately that can say what it's like? Is the weather nicer than the Kiev because of the moderating effect of the Black Sea (i.e., not quite as hot or as cool as areas not near water)? How about the people? 
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: How is Odessa these days?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
I have been to Odessa a number of times, the last time three years ago. The weather tends to be warmer and not unlike say the Great Lakes in the summer. Fast moving local depressions in the afternoon (thunder storms) happen.

It has a different flavour than Kiev. A major port with a strong southern sense. It is in some respects more 'Russian' in other ways more provincial. There are two good museums and the opera house is amazing. It is fun to walk around for about four days. Some would describe the beaches as fascinating and others as entertaining, I think it depends at what are you looking at.

Would I return to Odesssa again, no.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline rw_recruiter

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:33:54 PM »
I am told Odessa has had quite a lot of money invested into it recently. Many new boardwalks and buildings have been built recently. Several of the beaches have been redone as well I hear. I will be there in Sept and can update everyone with photos and the general scene.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
I am told Odessa has had quite a lot of money invested into it recently. Many new boardwalks and buildings have been built recently. Several of the beaches have been redone as well I hear. I will be there in Sept and can update everyone with photos and the general scene.

Yes, there is a LOT of new money, but not near as much as Kiev.

The people are not as cold as Kiev. It gets VERY hot. Think Chicago. But, then it cools down quickly as the Sun goes down - water effect. Where I am on the South Western side, the weather is great. The tree lined boulevards are cooler. But, after one or two days, it might tire some folks.

Wayne

Registration