The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Jehovah's Witnesses banned in Russia !  (Read 353 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Jehovah's Witnesses banned in Russia !
« on: April 21, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
1/ I am not a JV - I do not subscribe to some of their interpretations of the Bible

2/ I do believe in Religious freedom - as not as it doesn't try to encroach on my life - or that of 'non-believers' of said religion !

This is an old article .. They HAVE been outlawed ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39500648

Online msmoby

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses banned in Russia !
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
Interesting article on the role of the Orthodox Church and polar positions on some matters, ( lenin's Tomb) yet close cooperation ..'banning of JW's

http://time.com/4750396/vladimir-putin-orthodox-jehovah-witness-lenin-corpse

Offline Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 04:19:29 PM »
Interesting article on the role of the Orthodox Church and polar positions on some matters, ( lenin's Tomb) yet close cooperation ..'banning of JW's

http://time.com/4750396/vladimir-putin-orthodox-jehovah-witness-lenin-corpse

I agree 100% with the Orthodox church in regards to Lenin being on display.

And 100% with their decision to ban pesky "Jehova's Witness's". Russia is not the West.

Online Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »

Being a JW from 1958 till 1995 I know a thing or two about this religion. "The Witnesses" as they call themselves, will use this ban and say they are "being persecuted for righteousness sake." This will be their mantra. "The Work of preaching the Kingdom" will go underground. They and their "Brothers and Sisters" in Russia will remind themselves that this happened before during Soviet times. That they survived it and grew. Their persecution by the Nazis will also be brought up. Forced to wear the 'purple triangle' and sent to concentration camps to renounce their faith or die. JWs today that will be caught doing something Russians don't like and sent to prison will wear that like a badge of honor. In the end what Russia is doing, will only strengthen them.   

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
As individuals some folks might be stronger. As an organisation they certainly will not, at least not in Russia and that's the important bit for Russians.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Maxx

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 03:09:49 PM »
As individuals some folks might be stronger. As an organisation they certainly will not, at least not in Russia and that's the important bit for Russians.

Not true. Persecuting them will harden the JW individuals in Russia who will see their organization of JWs as part of the 'Godhead.' "The Father, the Son and the Spirit directed Organization of Jehovah's Witnesses." Since 1984 that is what they are baptized in.  http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/baptism.php

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 03:31:58 PM »
I think we are going at cross purposes, however you make it clear that you get the point. :)
You refer to individuals, and that's it. Individuals may feel martyred in some way and those who break the law might be punished for doing so but that's only about the individuals. The organisation will not be able to grow or flourish. Russians will, as is usual, understand that wrongdoers must've done something wrong or they'd not be punished for it. That's how people are.

Possibly the head office in the US will moan and may even get some voices to say that Russia is repressing religious freedom or some such but guess what? It'll mean nothing because the Russians no more want 'em around than we do. The numbers tell the story, around one tenth of 1% of the population are supporters. I bet that there's orders of magnitude more people that are going to be saying something like 'well, now we don't have to bother about those idiots knocking on our doors all the time.'

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 05:19:57 PM »
1/ I am not a JV - I do not subscribe to some of their interpretations of the Bible

2/ I do believe in Religious freedom - as not as it doesn't try to encroach on my life - or that of 'non-believers' of said religion !

This is an old article .. They HAVE been outlawed ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39500648

From your article and as we know:

Witnesses take most of the Bible literally and refuse blood transfusions. They are not seen by traditional Christian Churches as a mainstream denomination.

Russia is an Orthodox Christian country. The Jehovah's are a nutty branch of some offshoot of Christianity. They have daft ideas and ideals. Thus, in Russia they are religious nut jobs. Hence, extremist organisation. That's all. Not complex.

Online Maxx

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 10:46:35 PM »

The ban will hit "The Organization" where it hurts the most, the pocketbook. Almost all the "contributions" from the magazines, books, bibles and donated properties and wills will dry up. The Witnesses will however endure. In time they will reemerge when the political climate changes.

Online Maxx

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 10:51:32 PM »

Witnesses take most of the Bible literally and refuse blood transfusions. They are not seen by traditional Christian Churches as a mainstream denomination.

The Witnesses don't care what others think of them. The mainstream churches are part of "Christendom" and thus condemned by Jehovah as they see it.

BTW my father died as a result of the "blood issue." He was hailed as a hero at his funeral service at the Kingdom Hall.

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 04:48:35 AM »

Your English here is horrific but I think it's clear what you're attempting to communicate.

I'm glad that you are now on the same page as the majority and I assume you'll be consistent with your approach? By that I'm referring to another religious minority in the UK who regularly 'encroach on our lives' with their aggressive, incompatible, prickly version of fairy tales. Even a sympthaiser like yourself must find conflict between what you preach above and what you actually do?

With regards to the Hovis Biscuits we have over here, I'd ban them too. Worshipping imaginary people in a closed room is one thing but knocking on people's doors daily, looking to recruit from the weak is vile. They seem to skip our door these days!  ;D

Online tonton

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 05:28:10 AM »
I have them coming over about once per year, looking for money. After the knock on door,, it is 'piss offf' I rather give charity money to Salvoes

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 05:44:30 AM »

The ban will hit "The Organization" where it hurts the most, the pocketbook. Almost all the "contributions" from the magazines, books, bibles and donated properties and wills will dry up. The Witnesses will however endure. In time they will reemerge when the political climate changes.

So, we agree, the JVs will not be stronger as a result of this ban.
Examination of the empirical evidence leads to understanding and persuasion. :) Well done!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 06:39:29 AM »

The Witnesses don't care what others think of them. The mainstream churches are part of "Christendom" and thus condemned by Jehovah as they see it.

BTW my father died as a result of the "blood issue." He was hailed as a hero at his funeral service at the Kingdom Hall.

I am sorry for your loss Maxx.  :( 
What is art but a way of seeing?
Saul Bellow

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 06:43:12 AM »
I have them coming over about once per year, looking for money. After the knock on door,, it is 'piss offf' I rather give charity money to Salvoes

They are active here too. I met the local leader by chance (at the gym, of all the places  (:) ). They come around, are always polite, they don't ask anything, except to talk. I point at the Mezuzah at my door (doorpost at Jewish households) and they leave, they are respectful towards others' religion in my experience.
What is art but a way of seeing?
Saul Bellow