The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Travel suggestions  (Read 2617 times)

Offline sailor291

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Travel suggestions
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
Will be in Chernovtsy Ukraine in April, does anybody have any suggestions for the best, cheapest way to get from Chernovtsy to Tomoshpil?  Need to take my mother in law to see relatives.  Train, bus, car, horseback, rickshaw, any suggestions are appreciated along with possible cost involved as well as time.  Thank you in advance.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Travel suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »
Why not ask her?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:44:42 AM »
Marshrutka is probably the cheapest, but i'd go for a Taxi.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline sailor291

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 08:33:20 AM »
My mother in law is elderly and knows what goes on in about a 1 block radius of her apt, so she has no idea about this type of transportation.  It has been many years since she has been there and my wife said as a child it was a marathon to get there.  10-12 hr train ride then an hour or so on bus.  She used to get sick every time they went from the bus ride.  We have checked the trains, but they are on odd and even numbered days, used to be every day according to my wife when she was little.  So either we have to stay too long or too short of time.  I was just trying to find out if anybody knew alternative methods that might be more convenient.  But I know that convenient in Ukraine is a very relative notion. 

Around 17 years ago, my wife and I rented a car to take the family to Crimea for vacation, wife did not even know what road led out of town.  She could tell you what trolley bus number to take to a specific place in town and exactly how many stops to wait but she had no idea how to drive out of the town.  To this day it still amazes me that just the idea of going to a village or town 200 miles away is like travelling to another dimension in Ukraine to most older people. 

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 02:34:08 AM »
Will be in Chernovtsy Ukraine in April, does anybody have any suggestions for the best, cheapest way to get from Chernovtsy to Tomoshpil?  Need to take my mother in law to see relatives.  Train, bus, car, horseback, rickshaw, any suggestions are appreciated along with possible cost involved as well as time.  Thank you in advance.

You mean Chernivtsi to Tomoshpil in Vinnytsia Oblast, it's around 280Km, so ca. 5 - 6 hours by road, depending on where you are leaving from in Chernivtsi you would need to get on the M19/HO3 on the outskirts of the city just over the Prut River heading East.

I would get one of my in laws or family members to take me there, can you not do the same, if not hire a driver, around 300Km should cost no more than $150 - $200 although its ages since I paid for a ride over there so costs may not be accurate, but your wife should know of a driver or someone who can put her in touch with one over there.

If you don't know any drivers or cannot get hold of one, let me know I will do some research for you, should be able to fix one up no problem.

PS I personally wouldn't use the train, (unless you want cheap!) far too long a journey compared to going by road. Even if the roads are pretty poor in places, its still a better route, although of course more expensive.
Слава Україні