The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Does your FSU wife have a job?  (Read 10456 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
Does your FSU wife have a job?
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:34:46 PM »
Without reading too much into my question, does your FSU wife have a job in your new country? Does she want one? If you are a FSU wife, do you work or want to work?
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Does your FSU wife have a job?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »
On a previous occasion when this cropped up, this was my answer.

Where we live, most women who have kids dont work. As in Russia, a husband and kids is work, and her contribution to the family unit in that regard is duly respected and acknowledged. The man earns the money for the family and the woman does the home and kid stuff.

Women must work when the man doesn't earn enough money to support the family. That is the case with people who have a lot of credit payments to serve; our American friends seem to live on credit. I never really gelled with that mentality. I never really got the idea of paying for a washing machine or a car each month if you can just save up and buy it.

My wife came here with the intention and strong desire to work. Only after some discussion about the reasons people work for other people (money), and the value a woman can offer her family by being a mother and a wife did she agree to give it a shot. Several years later she does both: She works in our business by choice two or three days a week and is a wife and mother the rest of the time.

I'd hate to see her in some minimum wage job at six quid an hour unless we needed that money; which we don't. It's comforting to know that if we needed the money, she would find a job in a heartbeat. But as it is, her contributions to our household - taking care of the day to day details - allows me to be productive and creative enough to do stuff that pays our bills.

Show me a guy who doesn't like that idea?

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 02:46:29 PM »
My wife doesn't work, household stuff is enough work. I make enough so she dont have to.

In return, I never have to vacuum, clean toilets, make dinner or other stuff like that.

And she finds time to work out, look sexy and make me a happy camper.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline yankee

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:16:10 PM »
Without reading too much into my question, does your FSU wife have a job in your new country? Does she want one? If you are a FSU wife, do you work or want to work?

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes,
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:55:01 PM »
My wife doesn't work, household stuff is enough work. I make enough so she dont have to.

In return, I never have to vacuum, clean toilets, make dinner or other stuff like that.

And she finds time to work out, look sexy and make me a happy camper.

Stepford Op Zee?  ;D
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 01:50:29 AM »

Where we live, most women who have kids dont work. As in Russia, a husband and kids is work, and her contribution to the family unit in that regard is duly respected and acknowledged. The man earns the money for the family and the woman does the home and kid stuff.

Women must work when the man doesn't earn enough money to support the family. That is the case with people who have a lot of credit payments to serve; our American friends seem to live on credit. I never really gelled with that mentality. I never really got the idea of paying for a washing machine or a car each month if you can just save up and buy it.

My wife came here with the intention and strong desire to work. Only after some discussion about the reasons people work for other people (money), and the value a woman can offer her family by being a mother and a wife did she agree to give it a shot. Several years later she does both: She works in our business by choice two or three days a week and is a wife and mother the rest of the time.

I'd hate to see her in some minimum wage job at six quid an hour unless we needed that money; which we don't. It's comforting to know that if we needed the money, she would find a job in a heartbeat. But as it is, her contributions to our household - taking care of the day to day details - allows me to be productive and creative enough to do stuff that pays our bills.

I quite agree.
My wife has a full time job taking care of the home and kids.

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 02:09:45 AM »

That is the way I see things for myself and the future Ms someday.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 04:53:31 AM »
My Wife works a couple of days a week, enough to keep her busy
and she choose this, She does quite well and we have no small kids.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 05:08:53 AM »
So a Different spin on this very old question

As we are not in the nearly young bracket as others.

Yes my wife works (shock Horror)

Why?

She gets bored just sitting at home gardening etc or doing coffee mornings or shopping,  we dont have our own kids together ( we both have Children from a previous life) and being over 50  its not on the agenda :ROFL: :ROFL:

She also likes to stretch her mind, and feel like she is making some sort of contribution to "team us" its her choice and not one i ever pushed.

I am now only trying to work 5 sometimes 4 days a week (instead of 6-7) but that does not always happen depends on the projects and how needy they are on my time.

last year i only managed 5 weeks holiday (shock) this year i have already gone past half that total in the first 2 months.

I am Self Employed and "L"  works on a NHS Research contract which enables us to travel as long as we can get an internet connection all is good, and she can deal with her work when she wants.

So its all swings and roundabouts what suits some does not suit others.

Just another side of the coin  tiphat

Calculation of 5 years left in the country and counting  :8)

Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 05:20:27 AM »
My Wife works a couple of days a week, enough to keep her busy
and she choose this, She does quite well and we have no small kids.
Having a choice is the right way. My mrs didnt/ doesn't need to work. When she first came she wanted to do something so she did a bit of work in the village for a few hours a week.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
When we were first married I made my wife take a minimum wage job as a cleaner.  Staying at home with day time TV and having no conception of value for money in UK was a toxic combination...

When our first child came along she gave that job up and became a full time house wife.  This remained so after we moved to Turkey.  Now the children are grown and at school she is following her profession as a classical musician.  She teaches piano and violin, organizes and performs in concerts etc.  She really enjoys this.  It is not working for money, it never has been.  My business interests provide a high standard of living.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
When we were first married I made my wife take a minimum wage job as a cleaner.  Staying at home with day time TV and having no conception of value for money in UK was a toxic combination...

When our first child came along she gave that job up and became a full time house wife.  This remained so after we moved to Turkey.  Now the children are grown and at school she is following her profession as a classical musician.  She teaches piano and violin, organizes and performs in concerts etc.  She really enjoys this.  It is not working for money, it never has been.  My business interests provide a high standard of living.
Did your kids get schooled in Turkey or did you move there after all that was done?

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 08:17:53 AM »
My wife works full time and landed on her feet with a great job. It's challenging, rewarding, a bit stressful but at 25 it gives her something to really focus on.

She moved here when she was 20 and had just finished university. We thought it best that she take things slowly, sharpen up the English skills etc but soon enough she started feeling home sick with so much time to think. She's a real driven lady and wasting away at home was killing her. The problem I had was that as soon as I found her a job opportunity, she accused me of throwing her in the deep end. You can imagine the frustration......

Then one day she declared that she would start work, earn her own money and look to convert her Law Degree into UK recognised study. A business took her on selling luxury cloth to top design houses all over the world and they required her linguistic assets - although I've noticed that this company appears to have many attractive ladies working for them as brand managers  :-X It's been a steep learning curve but she's getting there. Previous to this, a bit like Les, we had our arguments because she was young, living abroad, had no real idea of money or any previous experience of disposable income. I think she assumed everyone had a similar lifestyle to us and sometimes I felt that she needed to appreciate how lucky we were - we had a few heated ones about budgets.

I can't say this was all because she's FSU, although her auntie is very much the stereotypical "your a greedy man if you don't spend all your money" type woman. Needless to say she single..... (:)

But Mrs Rosco will be 26 this year so she's grown as a woman and a person over her 5 years with me. We're starting to talk about kids so I guess she'll have to decide if she wants to be a career or a house mum, helping me out with my business. I don't really have a preference right now and the main thing is that we're happy.

Offline sailor291

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 08:38:19 AM »
My wife has always worked, in Ukraine before we married and now in Texas.  Been married over 17 years and she would go crazy sitting at home being a housewife.  Many years ago we lived in Germany for 1 year and she did not work.  Drover her nuts, could not wait until we got back to Texas and she could get back to work.  She has a Masters in Accounting and Audit from Ukraine and has worked in that field here almost all of our married life.  I can tell you that I am now retired and it is about to drive me crazy.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 04:12:19 AM »
Doesn't need to work - owns her own place / car and earns more than enough designing clothes / selling bikinis which she models ..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline leslied

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 05:47:11 AM »
Dogsoldier,

My girls attend a private international school in Turkey.  They are following an English curriculum.  Boarding school for IGSE is an option - though not popular!  I was sent to boarding school and HATED it, so I won't force the issue.  Good results are what matters as Uni will be in UK or USA.

I can relate to what Rosco wrote.  When my wife first arrived in UK she had no conception about the cost and standard of living and how hard it is to make money.  We too had serious rows about this in our first year together.  Natalie settled into to being a house wife easily - she is very house proud!  She now knows how lucky she is to enjoy our high standard of living.  She accepts that I am a work driven business man but has shown no interest in getting involved.

She enjoyed being mommy when the girls were little but that role passes as the girls grow up.  She returned to her first love - Music.  She was 2nd violin in a professional orchestra when we met.  It paid peanuts but was "high prestige" She adored performing!  Now she occupies herself teaching and organizing musical events.  If she sat home and did nothing she would drive herself and the family crazy.   

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 06:08:58 AM »
Dogsoldier,

My girls attend a private international school in Turkey.  They are following an English curriculum.  Boarding school for IGSE is an option - though not popular!  I was sent to boarding school and HATED it, so I won't force the issue.  Good results are what matters as Uni will be in UK or USA.
Is it the IB standard? I've heard its not as easily accepted back in the UK. Its of interest as we will be moving abroad next year and schools will be top of the agenda.
I can relate to what Rosco wrote.  When my wife first arrived in UK she had no conception about the cost and standard of living and how hard it is to make money. 
Sounds all too familiar.

We too had serious rows about this in our first year together.
I think this is quite common. We had huge problems in our first year too.

She enjoyed being mommy when the girls were little but that role passes as the girls grow up.  She returned to her first love - Music.  She was 2nd violin in a professional orchestra when we met.  It paid peanuts but was "high prestige" She adored performing!  Now she occupies herself teaching and organizing musical events.  If she sat home and did nothing she would drive herself and the family crazy.
Mrs DS was with a ballet and Ukrainian folk dance ensemble and toured internationally. With having kids and all,  that went by the by. Some of her contemperaries are now Prima Ballerinas with the Ukrainian State Ballet.
She opened a ballet school not long after coming here. Sadly, with having a baby that had to be shelved.
Now we have an extremely busy life with school age kids and a toddler who are her full time occupation.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »
Doesn't need to work - owns her own place / car and earns more than enough designing clothes / selling bikinis which she models ..

That is work...........

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 03:10:44 PM »
My wife works about 10 hours a day for our business pretty well 7 days a week, though its not to hard just sit's down most of the day with me, working watching movies and listening to music. In between that there are two kids to look after, home work every day and study with the kids. We both take it in turns to cook and wash up that sort of stuff, wife does the cleaning ( My cleaning is not up to standard)
I think my wife probably does more than most and is often pretty tired out, same with myself..but we make up for it when we have free time.

I don't think a "House wife" really has much work. If I was a women I would love to be a house wife, cook a few meals, do a bit of cleaning and then gossip to all the other house wives  :)

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline TomT

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
I don't think a "House wife" really has much work.

One's perception changes when the housework stops getting done.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »

The name "House wife" is sooooooo old fashioned , its something from the 1940/50,s...

Offline TomT

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »
^ That's right, now we have house-husbands.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 03:52:56 PM »
^ That's right, now we have house-husbands.

Sounds perfect! Cook a few dinners, a little cleaning..then out for a few drinks with some friends for a  gossip and back stabbing.. come home.. put some sexy out fit on for the wife..dinner in the oven..

:knit:

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
Boy oh boy, the subject of housekeeping seems to be a recurring theme within the FSU-partner discussion circles; I didn't realize how important it must be to many FSU women.

Once the maid's mother was sick (or some such thing) and we had to clean the house ourselves... quite enjoyable really (we threw a 'cleaning party' - ordered some pizza, made a day of it). I suppose it would be right to assume that when I get married, my FSU wife'll want to get rid of the help and do the keeping herself to ensure it's done properly(?). Seems goofy to me, but to each his / her own I guess. I think Jennifer does exceptional work, but then again, I'm not familiar with FSUW standards.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Manny

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »

Exactly. My wife spends a month in Russia each year (as many do in the school holidays) and although I do my own laundry then, clean up the mess I make and load the dishwasher each day, etc., the place starts to look a tad grubby and she has a mammoth cleaning session lasting days when she comes back.

A housewife is a lot of work if your house is nice. It's more work if she is a mother too. The work doesn't do itself. Shirts don't magically appear in the wardrobe ironed. Things dont magically clean themselves. Kids are not gleaming, scrubbed and in fresh clothes each day just by chance.

Similarly, money does not appear in your bank each month just by chance. It happens as fruits of your labour. As a nice and organised home life that one may call housewifery doesn't happen by chance. It happens because you are productive enough that she doesn't have to work at McDonalds to make your credit payments so she can take care of mundane domestic stuff while you are out slaying the dragon to put food on the table.