The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Does your FSU wife have a job?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline leslied

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Does your FSU wife have a job?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 05:47:11 AM »
Dogsoldier,

My girls attend a private international school in Turkey.  They are following an English curriculum.  Boarding school for IGSE is an option - though not popular!  I was sent to boarding school and HATED it, so I won't force the issue.  Good results are what matters as Uni will be in UK or USA.

I can relate to what Rosco wrote.  When my wife first arrived in UK she had no conception about the cost and standard of living and how hard it is to make money.  We too had serious rows about this in our first year together.  Natalie settled into to being a house wife easily - she is very house proud!  She now knows how lucky she is to enjoy our high standard of living.  She accepts that I am a work driven business man but has shown no interest in getting involved.

She enjoyed being mommy when the girls were little but that role passes as the girls grow up.  She returned to her first love - Music.  She was 2nd violin in a professional orchestra when we met.  It paid peanuts but was "high prestige" She adored performing!  Now she occupies herself teaching and organizing musical events.  If she sat home and did nothing she would drive herself and the family crazy.   

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 06:08:58 AM »
Dogsoldier,

My girls attend a private international school in Turkey.  They are following an English curriculum.  Boarding school for IGSE is an option - though not popular!  I was sent to boarding school and HATED it, so I won't force the issue.  Good results are what matters as Uni will be in UK or USA.
Is it the IB standard? I've heard its not as easily accepted back in the UK. Its of interest as we will be moving abroad next year and schools will be top of the agenda.
I can relate to what Rosco wrote.  When my wife first arrived in UK she had no conception about the cost and standard of living and how hard it is to make money. 
Sounds all too familiar.

We too had serious rows about this in our first year together.
I think this is quite common. We had huge problems in our first year too.

She enjoyed being mommy when the girls were little but that role passes as the girls grow up.  She returned to her first love - Music.  She was 2nd violin in a professional orchestra when we met.  It paid peanuts but was "high prestige" She adored performing!  Now she occupies herself teaching and organizing musical events.  If she sat home and did nothing she would drive herself and the family crazy.
Mrs DS was with a ballet and Ukrainian folk dance ensemble and toured internationally. With having kids and all,  that went by the by. Some of her contemperaries are now Prima Ballerinas with the Ukrainian State Ballet.
She opened a ballet school not long after coming here. Sadly, with having a baby that had to be shelved.
Now we have an extremely busy life with school age kids and a toddler who are her full time occupation.
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »
Doesn't need to work - owns her own place / car and earns more than enough designing clothes / selling bikinis which she models ..

That is work...........
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 03:10:44 PM »
My wife works about 10 hours a day for our business pretty well 7 days a week, though its not to hard just sit's down most of the day with me, working watching movies and listening to music. In between that there are two kids to look after, home work every day and study with the kids. We both take it in turns to cook and wash up that sort of stuff, wife does the cleaning ( My cleaning is not up to standard)
I think my wife probably does more than most and is often pretty tired out, same with myself..but we make up for it when we have free time.

I don't think a "House wife" really has much work. If I was a women I would love to be a house wife, cook a few meals, do a bit of cleaning and then gossip to all the other house wives  :)

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline TomT

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
I don't think a "House wife" really has much work.

One's perception changes when the housework stops getting done.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »

The name "House wife" is sooooooo old fashioned , its something from the 1940/50,s...

Offline TomT

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »
^ That's right, now we have house-husbands.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 03:52:56 PM »
^ That's right, now we have house-husbands.

Sounds perfect! Cook a few dinners, a little cleaning..then out for a few drinks with some friends for a  gossip and back stabbing.. come home.. put some sexy out fit on for the wife..dinner in the oven..

:knit:

Online Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
Boy oh boy, the subject of housekeeping seems to be a recurring theme within the FSU-partner discussion circles; I didn't realize how important it must be to many FSU women.

Once the maid's mother was sick (or some such thing) and we had to clean the house ourselves... quite enjoyable really (we threw a 'cleaning party' - ordered some pizza, made a day of it). I suppose it would be right to assume that when I get married, my FSU wife'll want to get rid of the help and do the keeping herself to ensure it's done properly(?). Seems goofy to me, but to each his / her own I guess. I think Jennifer does exceptional work, but then again, I'm not familiar with FSUW standards.
"We'll start over again. Grow ourselves new skin. Get a house in Devon. Drink cider from a lemon." ~ Feeder

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »

Exactly. My wife spends a month in Russia each year (as many do in the school holidays) and although I do my own laundry then, clean up the mess I make and load the dishwasher each day, etc., the place starts to look a tad grubby and she has a mammoth cleaning session lasting days when she comes back.

A housewife is a lot of work if your house is nice. It's more work if she is a mother too. The work doesn't do itself. Shirts don't magically appear in the wardrobe ironed. Things dont magically clean themselves. Kids are not gleaming, scrubbed and in fresh clothes each day just by chance.

Similarly, money does not appear in your bank each month just by chance. It happens as fruits of your labour. As a nice and organised home life that one may call housewifery doesn't happen by chance. It happens because you are productive enough that she doesn't have to work at McDonalds to make your credit payments so she can take care of mundane domestic stuff while you are out slaying the dragon to put food on the table.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 08:15:54 PM »
Boy oh boy, the subject of housekeeping seems to be a recurring theme within the FSU-partner discussion circles; I didn't realize how important it must be to many FSU women.

Once the maid's mother was sick (or some such thing) and we had to clean the house ourselves... quite enjoyable really (we threw a 'cleaning party' - ordered some pizza, made a day of it). I suppose it would be right to assume that when I get married, my FSU wife'll want to get rid of the help and do the keeping herself to ensure it's done properly(?). Seems goofy to me, but to each his / her own I guess. I think Jennifer does exceptional work, but then again, I'm not familiar with FSUW standards.

If you had a maid you would probably get accused of having an affair with her.  :coffeeread:
To coexist with communism on the same planet is impossible. Either it will spread, cancer-like, to destroy mankind, or else mankind will have to rid itself of communism (and even then face lengthy treatment for secondary tumors).
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 08:18:43 PM »

Exactly. My wife spends a month in Russia each year (as many do in the school holidays) and although I do my own laundry then, clean up the mess I make and load the dishwasher each day, etc., the place starts to look a tad grubby and she has a mammoth cleaning session lasting days when she comes back.

A housewife is a lot of work if your house is nice. It's more work if she is a mother too. The work doesn't do itself. Shirts don't magically appear in the wardrobe ironed. Things dont magically clean themselves. Kids are not gleaming, scrubbed and in fresh clothes each day just by chance.

Similarly, money does not appear in your bank each month just by chance. It happens as fruits of your labour. As a nice and organised home life that one may call housewifery doesn't happen by chance. It happens because you are productive enough that she doesn't have to work at McDonalds to make your credit payments so she can take care of mundane domestic stuff while you are out slaying the dragon to put food on the table.

Careful Moby will be along shortly to lecture you on alternative meanings of slaying the dragon:chuckle:
To coexist with communism on the same planet is impossible. Either it will spread, cancer-like, to destroy mankind, or else mankind will have to rid itself of communism (and even then face lengthy treatment for secondary tumors).
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Online Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 08:43:08 PM »
If you had a maid you would probably get accused of having an affair with her.  :coffeeread:

Ha ha ha, not with Jennifer, she's... she has a beautiful heart and soul, we'll leave it at that.

But I get your point... the suspicion thing is always at play. Where I live I think my girl will be able to let her guard down a bit.  :laugh:
"We'll start over again. Grow ourselves new skin. Get a house in Devon. Drink cider from a lemon." ~ Feeder

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 02:27:54 AM »

I had a hired cleaner for about a month or 2. Real sweatheart aged 66 who wanted to amend her pension.

Wife said: She's really nice , but I'd rather clean myself than inspect her work because that inspecting makes the wife feel bad.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »
I had a hired cleaner for about a month or 2. Real sweatheart aged 66 who wanted to amend her pension.

Wife said: She's really nice , but I'd rather clean myself than inspect her work because that inspecting makes the wife feel bad.

Because the cleaning was too good or because it wasn't good enough?

Up at the golf course hotel we have a constant issue of finding maids who'll clean the rooms to a satisfactory level. When I was younger the problem mystified me, but one day my mom provided a sensible explanation: a lot of these maids live in trailers / shacks and their own level of housekeeping is lower than normal, so to them, the room IS clean (when it's really not). It's not their fault, you just have to provide standards / guidelines for them to follow.