The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Sochi F1 Grand Prix 2017  (Read 9771 times)

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Re: Sochi F1 Grand Prix 2017
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
I did actually run into Moby this weekend. He was outside the main entrances to the Russian Grand Prix handing out flyers for some F1 Bikini party that was taking place in the evenings over the weekend. Some person of influence had taken pity on him and gave him a pair of tickets in the main grandstand across from the Podium and VV Putin's seat. The organizers wouldn't let him on the grounds though. Disconsolate, Moby offered me the tickets if I would take one of his flyers. So, thanks to him, I have had a spectacular weekend! 

Had a couple of videos to share, but alas, it seems Tapatalk can't handle it...(((

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »
There are a mere 27 members of the Triple Gold Club in all the world. This is a formally recognized club of hockey players who have won the International Ice Hockey Federation Championship, Olympic Gold, and a Stanley Cup. Sergei Gusarov happens to be one of these rarified sorts and I happened to run into him this weekend, as earlier recounted by Moby.

He speaks impeccable English and shared my happiness with Winnipeg getting a hockey club back again.

Given his status, he was also allowed to sit by a window that he could open and smoke near. :)

Americans gush over Hollywood celebrities. Canadians gush over famous hockey players.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
I did actually run into Moby this weekend. He was outside the main entrances to the Russian Grand Prix handing out flyers for some F1 Bikini party that was taking place in the evenings over the weekend. Some person of influence had taken pity on him and gave him a pair of tickets in the main grandstand across from the Podium and VV Putin's seat. The organizers wouldn't let him on the grounds though. Disconsolate, Moby offered me the tickets if I would take one of his flyers. So, thanks to him, I have had a spectacular weekend! 

Had a couple of videos to share, but alas, it seems Tapatalk can't handle it...(((

You couldn't make it up.....Moby tells us all about his level of importance and you tell us he's outside the gates, handing out flyers to a bikini contest!!

God that's funny.  :ROFL:

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »

You couldn't make it up.....Moby tells us all about his level of importance and you tell us he's outside the gates, handing out flyers to a bikini contest!!

God that's funny.  :ROFL:
Same difference, isn't it? Fliers in Sochi, The Big Issue oop North. The mobsters looking a bit rough around the edges. The Brexit crash taking its toll.  :ROFL:

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 11:24:16 PM »
I did actually run into Moby this weekend. He was outside the main entrances to the Russian Grand Prix handing out flyers for some F1 Bikini party that was taking place in the evenings over the weekend. Some person of influence had taken pity on him and gave him a pair of tickets in the main grandstand across from the Podium and VV Putin's seat. The organizers wouldn't let him on the grounds though. Disconsolate

:ROFL:      :ROFL:      :ROFL:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 12:07:05 AM »

Moby, Thank you for the thread.

Curious have you 'overstated' your importance and involvement?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 01:17:26 AM »
I would also like to thank Moby for this thread. It was a pleasure to read this one.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 02:21:43 AM »
Well, the F1 circus has moved on

This picture says it all .... me after 15 hours on the go and SC after a day on the beach :)

Our guest had an unexpected treat ... I heard the owners announce that they had a VERY special guest - a former Soviet Gold medal winning Ice Hockey player who has also won the Stanley Cup ...Alexey Gusarov

Moby, I don't know a thing about F1 or hockey but it looks like you and SC are having a great time.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 08:37:38 AM »
Having been 'thrown out' for selling unlicensed  promotional material and pawning my tickets - I used my remaining credit on my phone to call a friend for help...

Svetlana 'sneaked' me into the media centre - where the one-way glass meant we could view proceedings.  I could even view Jerash in MY seat ;))

Sveta - a Russian Motorsport Promoter / Journo - no decided that she could get me 'closer to the action' ... As you can hear at the end of the video  - I am ' scared '

But, if she wasn't scared - why should *I* be frightened - so I follow her ...

Back in the Paddock - we went down a tunnel to the pit-lane - where  - after a short while - we were allowed to enter - provided we did not go onto the track

I started by zooming in on MY seat and then got the drivers as they returned from their parade lap on the back of a truck ..

Near the end - we think the roar of the crowd is for Daniil Kyvat - but it transpires Hamilton decided to milk the crowd ¬

We went back to the Media Centre - where I observed the GP - with all the info that the commentators have - the TV feeds  and screens showing who is on a hot lap - purple and who might have a penalty - or should be getting out of the way.

I filmed Bottas rounding the last corner and beating Vettell - and headed off to the Press Conference room as I was asked ( by Sveta ) to record Bottas' - the winner -  first words in Finnish - as he had never won a F1 race, before.  She wanted to view the Poduim ceremony.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »
 :coffeeread: this is a fun read

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
While Sveta rushes off to get the podium ceremony, I walk to the Press Conference Room - which is close to the 'Cool Down Room' where the top three drivers go - after being weighed - to take on water - and get their sponsors' caps.

I never understand why more press don't pour in for this moment - as the funniest driver comments  / behaviour - often come out

The entrance to Press Room at Sochi overlooks  'the pen' where the non podium drivers get interviewed by the world's press. The podium drivers go there after the post race press conference.

This GP -  the initial questions put to the drivers were being asked by BBC's Tom Clarkson. In the vid you'll see him rush to the PC -and a security girl belatedly try to stop him. ... she was trying to check his pass!

I follow him in and you'll see how empty the place is. The podium ceremony is taking place 20m away. If you aren't in within 5 mins of 'kickoff' the doors are locked.  I sit in the second row - as I'm only there to record Valtteri Bottas.

Two lasses from the press centre hold mics and Matteo - FOM - Formula 1 Management 's 'compere' - tells them which journo should get the mic to ask a question.

When the drivers come in - they first speak in their home language - and this being VB's first win ... it might have been interesting.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2017, 04:52:40 AM »
:coffeeread: this is a fun read

I agree   :nod:

But it's pity he forgot to post a nice photo of him and his friend Vlad, that I have seen, but will not post a link to the photo to avoid him accusing me for Copyright Infringement, again.

;D
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2017, 06:58:22 AM »

But it's pity he forgot to post a nice photo of him and his friend Vlad, that I have seen, but will not post a link to the photo to avoid him accusing me for Copyright Infringement, again.

;D

Dear Wiz, IF you were matey with someone called Vladimir ... You'd be referring to him as Vova .. 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2017, 02:46:12 AM »
I had a BRILLIANT time, Maxx and SC truly was a 'brick' indulging me as she did.  She spent the 4 GP days either on the beach - swimming in the still chilly Black Sea - doing aquarobics or - and this is HILARIOUS ... running around a track.

I watched the London Marathon and it inspired HER !!  She watched the closing stages of the Ladies race

I knew many people from the team at Sochi Autodrom from last year and - if anything- this year was better.

How many of us can say we stood on the winner's rostrum of a F1 race ? ;)

This is the view of the podium from the press centre and the seats above and closer  - you can see it the bottom of the terrace - are where Bernie and VVP sit - on the finish line - opposite Jerash's seat in the Main Grandstand .

Having met Valtteri Bottas - in the flesh - thanks to my Finnish 'daughter'  - I can say I was really pleased he won his first race. He is a v.intelligent lad and a perfect replacement for Nico Rosberg - as an opposite to Lewis Hamilton in character. Seeing him handle difficult questions in the first press conference of the event  - before he started to blow Lewis away in most sessions- I knew he would surprise and had him down to beat Hamilton  - but not Seb Vettel.  In the press conference after qualifying - Bottas did say it was a long way to the first serious braking zone- a chance to get a tow - and overtake..we should have listened.

The staff at Sochi Autodrom are very young and diligent and one of their highlights was the visit of Jean Todt - who is the President of the FIA - the governing body of World Motorsport.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2017, 01:35:05 AM »
I made a 'goodbye' to Sochi vid and watched the race on my SKY TV sat receiver back in the UK using Slingplayer to control the TV in Sochi - using my mobile as the remote control !  My village in the UK finally got half decent internet - allowing a decent upload speed for one device .... Markje could handle 500 times more GRRRR

Jess - one of the Student volunteers at the Media Centre - who is the selfie-queen - having got one with just about everyone other than VVP ( she got one with Bernie Ecclestone) wanted to accompany me.

I make a habit of wearing  a bright pink shirt so  'me Ma' can tell her friends - "there's my boy, in Russia" and on viewing Ted Kravitz dissecting the race with Johnnie Herbert ( a former F1 driver) the bright pink shirt - plus bright blue glass on top of head - was spotted  approaching with Jess.

The video is at https://vimeo.com/215904334#at=412 6mins 40 secs

Here's the good bye to Sochi vid as I leave the Press Centre and we see the kit being packed up

It was a pleasure to sponge off meet another board member and meet smart students from all over Russia and other EU nations - one of the volunteers works in Shanghai and comes back every year to help !

I met some F1 fans who camped out at the hotel to get autographs of the stars they'd missed at the track and hopefully introduced some new folk to the fan club.

SC ?  Well, she just worried that I would be eating too much food in the team's / media hospitality suites :))

I arrived in Sochi weighing nearly 94 Kg - fattest ever - and am down to just over 89 this morning ... We have bikes and are cycling 10km a day / climbing mountains in 24-26C ...no chocolate biscuits  - just bee pollen and lots of tasty, healthy meals with loads of garlic and nuts.

It's only when I'm with SC that I find this 'motivation'

This weekend I'm helping out at the Russian Cup - a series of yacht races - for those who aren't considered good enough to be racing in the championships currently being held in La Rochelle, France ... I consider myself a useful helm - but all of these 'second raters' can blow me away ;)  My Royal Yachting Association Powerboat qualifications have been deemed as good enough to help lay the courses as part of the crew in a powerful inflatable. 

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
This weekend I'm helping out at the Russian Cup - a series of yacht races - for those who aren't considered good enough to be racing in the championships currently being held in La Rochelle, France ... I consider myself a useful helm - but all of these 'second raters' can blow me away ;)  My Royal Yachting Association Powerboat qualifications have been deemed as good enough to help lay the courses as part of the crew in a powerful inflatable.

A RIB with Mark the pin monkey!
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »
Markje could handle 500 times more GRRRR
My ISP is doing a pilot with a new city, 10GB unmetered synchronous internet. Thats speed for ya.

I'm actually thinking about moving house :D
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »

My ISP is doing a pilot with a new city, 10GB unmetered synchronous internet. Thats speed for ya.

Which city ? I'm moving there with my Irish passport :)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »

A RIB with Mark the pin monkey!

That's me summed up, nicely :)  I didn't think using the term 'Rib' would be understood ....

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2017, 12:49:27 AM »

Which city ? I'm moving there with my Irish passport :)

De wolden, in the north of netherlands

Here's the article in Dutch:
https://tweakers.net/nieuws/109195/tweak-brengt-eerste-10gbit-s-lijnen-naar-consumenten-voor-95-euro-per-maand.html

Sum up for our english-speaking friends:
10GB synchronous unmetered internet for 95 euro/month
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2017, 01:06:20 AM »
Spent half the day at the Yacht Club. The Hon.Commodore - who was a skipper of the only Soviet entry in the Whitbread Round the World Race in '89 had his leg amputated - since I last saw him to hear his stories. Boris - who is now in charge of maintaining the fleet of boats owned by Russian Railways - told me he had a good sense of humour about it ... So, the first question I asked on seeing him in a wheel-chair was, " Bog moi ! Bil bolshoi akula?"  My God, was it a big Shark ? ...  He roared with laughter and confirmed, " It was a Great White !"   Undeterred, he tips up every day - encouraging the Olympic hopefuls.

Boris had a signed poster of the first Olympic medal winner since Soviet times - Stephina Elfutina - a direct result of the Sochi training regime - in his workshop.

The Olympic Catamaran class - the Nacra 17 - has had a rule change and Boris - who is now responsible for ordering new craft had to order the hydro-foils requested by the rule change - 14,000 Euros  :o  I have not seen a foiling Nacra in anger, yet ... but the std one's were flipping quick ...

Even if you aren't into sailing try and watch this video  ( pre foiling ) :

It is the Gold Medal race at Rio 2017 and 54 year old Cancer survivor, Santi Lange starts in Gold Medal position and takes TWO penalties during the race - must stop and do a 360 - before continuing. each time ....

In the afternoon SC demanded more cycling and we went to the town centre. We had a large credit card bill to settle and it falls during the 9th May Celebration bank hols - so we suddenly realised that a bank transfer from the UK might not arrive in time....   Panic ensued as I had to use 4 different cards to over-come the daily limit for cash withdrawals.  I thought we were screwed and would have to pay interest - then tried a card that SC has as a signatory on one of my accounts with paypal .... Although I had used my daily limit - it allowed her to draw on available funds .... Moral of the story ... you can never have enough cards when abroad ..

Then off to another bank - and we deposited the money into a bankomat (ATM) and got confirmation the account was cleared -  a day early and a msg to call into the bank as the limit was being increased :))

We cycled out to the Ferry Terminal - which is large and modern - but, sadly underused .... there used to be car ferries to Ukraine, Turkey and Georgia..... all suspended :(  It is our dream to be able to take a ferry to Northern Turkey - and drive to our favourite- the  Lycian ( Emerald ) Coast of Turkey .... where the water is so clear - or even onwards to Cyprus

There is a newish shopping / leisure mini mall by the port and we stopped for fresh juices.

In my case, SC has cut my hair, I've got a tan and the weight is falling off.. 10km or more each day on the bike - involving plenty of carrying two bikes up flights up steps.

We ate out with some of the F1 team -  food was GREAT - Dom Restaurant - but the Russian attempts at Feta cheese in a Greek salad - are still more like soft sour cream blobs :)

I was 'allowed' a Napolean cake !

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2017, 01:11:16 AM »

Sum up for our english-speaking friends:
10GB synchronous unmetered internet for 95 euro/month

:censored:

Brilliant !!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Sochi F1 - after the Grand Prix 2017
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2017, 11:31:34 PM »
Yesterday, there was no chance to watch the racing / lay courses. The weather was too windy and WET...One of our friends - Sergei -  had gone silent - after the GP and I was wondering why....  I had even thought him rude....

While I was having my nails done ( SC is fussy that my feet - which were awful - are maintained with anti-fungus treatments... This being a wet day - and socks weather - it was time for treatment ) we received a call to say Sergei had been admitted to hospital - having had a heart attack ..... He had been there for 7 days :(

Our wonderful neighbour - who cooks most of my meals ( SC being so 'talented' ) was off to N.Siberia - and dislikes planes - so I drove her to the railway station and she will be ravelling 4.5 days !!!

I returned to collect SC and we went to look at some furniture and bought food in a large supermarket .....  SC prefers to buy her fruit and veg in a large market .  I wanted some MEAT ...  I miss the 'deli' selection when I'm back in the UK - 'risking' something new - as often as I can.  I suggested we buy Sergei grapes - but 'No' - SC pointed out EVERYONE would do that - so he got Fresh Mandarin Juice, Various fish and 'healthy' salads:)

Then, we went to the Hospital - which is largely modern - to visit him.

As with most shopping malls and public buildings - one is searched and then enter the hospital... As with most things Sochi - the signs are in English, too !

One has to pay 5 rubles for the blue shoe covers to be allowed access to the wards - which were spotless - even the older wings of the hospital were very clean.  MAJOR PLUS - Car parking is FREE

Unlike UK hospitals - which don't ask for the shoe covers - there were no alcohol hand sanitiser dispensers.

Sergei, had lost weight and showed us the healing wound in his wrist - used to route to his heart for surgery ! Many locals and I were surprised to see this less intrusive method of surgery was in use :)

We had bought Sergei the provisions - which he claimed he didn't need as the Canteen ( stolovaya) was so good !

On leaving, the rain that had been incessant all day had stopped  - the sun was out - as we headed home.

SC pronounced she wanted Beer - which is RARE and we bought 3 varieties of 'home made' beer from the local brewery.  I was judging who had designed the best program at a local computer class and I did not want to have alcohol on my breath even though I was cycling there.

SC chose the best flavour - knocked the beer like it was 'bad medicine' and within minutes I watched her eyes glaze over and she started giggling..

When I got home, she was drowsy and I was relieved to note the beer had been further sampled ...  0.5 litres and she was GONE :))

Nearly 11 hours has passed and she is STILL sleeping ?!...

I am due to go to the Yacht club....  should I wake her up ..or just sneak out ? ;)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: after the Sochi F1 Grand Prix 2017
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »
In recent days 'we' ( Sochi residents)  have had Merkel, Erdogan and today the Palestinian leadership visit  (Abbas)  ...How do I know?

The traffic is stopped - for ages - to allow the convoy speed through the centre - rather than use the motorway / highway.

This is a Spetsial'nyy  proyezd (Специальный проезд) - literally Special Travel

As I cycled back from the Yacht Club I wondered why the road was clear of traffic and a Policeman waved his 'wand' to suggest I moved off the road onto the pavement / footpath

Whistles started and I stopped to see who it was ....  many cars sped south to toward the airport - one  Merc flying a flag I recognised as Arabic - the cars zoomed past at 60 MPH ( 90 Km/hr) or greater

Thank you Mr Abbas - I got home, really quickly :)

Offline Wiz

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Moby

How is the summer tourism in Sochi?

Any chance to give us a general impression how is going  and as you like using your camera, could you take some photos, when you are out and about, of various hotels and post them, so we can get an overall idea about the accommodation available and the place?

Thanks
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Registration