The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Unwanted Grub..  (Read 833 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Unwanted Grub..
« on: February 28, 2017, 07:10:37 AM »
I have noticed over the years how when you get to the end of the checkout at any Russian supermarket you will find abandoned food all around the checkout women..
I never noticed this in the UK not that I have visited a supermarket there for a few years now. Often there will be bottles of coke, joints of meat, chickens, eggs and all sorts of thing. Before Moby says its the recession  :chuckle: I have noticed it for many years.

Anyway Im going to give it a try next time I'm in a supermarket in the UK to test the reaction of the checkout women... :laugh:
Just as I get to the last few items for her to scan I will off load a loaf of bread, 12 eggs , a bottle of wine, 2 packets of bacon right on the counter there..

;D

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Unwanted Grub..
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:14:38 AM »
I have noticed over the years how when you get to the end of the checkout at any Russian supermarket you will find abandoned food all around the checkout women..
I never noticed this in the UK not that I have visited a supermarket there for a few years now. Often there will be bottles of coke, joints of meat, chickens, eggs and all sorts of thing. Before Moby says its the recession  :chuckle: I have noticed it for many years.

It's hardly just a Russian, thing, Steveboy - you can't be very observant

1/ Goods rejected at the till for various reasons

2/ Not enough money to pay for all th shopping

It's may be just that in the UK - it gets tidied away quicker

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Jerash

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »

Anyway Im going to give it a try next time I'm in a supermarket in the UK to test the reaction of the checkout women... :laugh:
Just as I get to the last few items for her to scan I will off load a loaf of bread, 12 eggs , a bottle of wine, 2 packets of bacon right on the counter there..

;D

LOL, I have not seen this so far, it's early days, so I'll keep watching.  Maybe it's a Petersburg thing?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 03:45:29 PM »
I have seen this in smaller supermarkets, but not big places in the UK. I think sometimes folk reckon up in their heads and decide to unshop stuff. Back home  see it more often than here but I think that it is because staff are less well trained and don't police their till areas as well as in the UK.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »
How quaint!

Can you not order it to be delivered online?
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »
I never noticed it in the UK.. Maybe its because most of the folk in Dorset are OAP's semi retired or wealthy farmers so no need to leave a packet of biscuits at the counter due to lack of cash.. ;D
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Registration