The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: New £18,600 Income Limit to Bring a Spouse to the UK  (Read 4449 times)

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
New £18,600 Income Limit to Bring a Spouse to the UK
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:53:04 AM »
Not sure this is the best thread but it is relevant.

"The Supreme Court is to rule on whether an income barrier stopping thousands of British citizens from bringing a foreign spouse to the UK is lawful.
As of 2012, Britons must earn more than £18,600 before a husband or wife from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) can settle in the UK."

It's been said here many times but my personal view is that people shouldn't be able to import wives from abroad if they can't afford to take care of them. It's one of those controversial topics like families having 15 kids and living entirely off the state but I'm pretty firm on this policy. Let's see what it brings but I certainly wouldn't be chasing women from abroad and bringing them back to the UK if I couldn't earn more than £18,600 a year. This still isn't a great deal of money in this day and age.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39042445

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
Re: New £18,600 Income Limit to Bring a Spouse to the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:43:17 AM »

"The Supreme Court is to rule on whether an income barrier stopping thousands of British citizens from bringing a foreign spouse to the UK is lawful.
As of 2012, Britons must earn more than £18,600 before a husband or wife from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) can settle in the UK."

It's been said here many times but my personal view is that people shouldn't be able to import wives from abroad if they can't afford to take care of them. It's one of those controversial topics like families having 15 kids and living entirely off the state but I'm pretty firm on this policy. Let's see what it brings but I certainly wouldn't be chasing women from abroad and bringing them back to the UK if I couldn't earn more than £18,600 a year. This still isn't a great deal of money in this day and age.

Yeah, the guardinistas gave been frothing at the mouth over this "unjust" law. How dare people who can't afford to support a spouse and kids be barred from importing them? I say raise the threshold even higher to what the benefit cap is, £26000.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 04:44:26 AM »

Yeah, the guardinistas gave been frothing at the mouth over this "unjust" law. How dare people who can't afford to support a spouse and kids be barred from importing them? I say raise the threshold even higher to what the benefit cap is, £26000.

Higher Higher  :thumbsup:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »

I agree entirely.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
This would not be fair with people who have fluctuating annual incomes such as self employed individuals.  And to those who have plenty of non-income producing assets (such as a large stash of diamonds or gold).   :D
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 01:10:31 AM »
This would not be fair with people who have fluctuating annual incomes such as self employed individuals.  And to those who have plenty of non-income producing assets (such as a large stash of diamonds or gold).   :D
It is not said how they must earn this. Fluctuating income and below 18000 quid/annum? then your not a very good self-employed individual and be better off with a normal job.

Netherlands has this law a long time already, you must make >1500 euro/month or its no-visa for your lovers.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Jesca

• Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 02:08:16 AM »
It is not said how they must earn this. Fluctuating income and below 18000 quid/annum? then your not a very good self-employed individual and be better off with a normal job.

Markje, there is a "small print" detail in this UK's regulation. It is formulated the way that if the income is coming from one source (like a "normal job") - no problem. But self-employed individuals are assessed under a different procedure. And often a self-employed Briton who makes more than enough per year faces great difficulties complying with the requirement - due to multiple income sources.  Because some types of sources do not count.
If it was as easy as X euro (pounds) per month and that's it - that would be heaven for everyone (c)...

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 02:30:38 AM »

Markje, there is a "small print" detail in this UK's regulation. It is formulated the way that if the income is coming from one source (like a "normal job") - no problem. But self-employed individuals are assessed under a different procedure. And often a self-employed Briton who makes more than enough per year faces great difficulties complying with the requirement - due to multiple income sources.  Because some types of sources do not count.
If it was as easy as X euro (pounds) per month and that's it - that would be heaven for everyone (c)...
In that case, the NL has a better law. It says that your 'taxable' income must be above 1500/month. So your tax statements are the primary source for the visa.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 03:43:30 AM »

The UK rules are more complex but quite easy to figure out when you know!

1. The requirement (assuming not non-UK kids) is £18600 pa, or more accurately £1550 pm if salaried.

2. If wages are variable, ECO will always take the lowest times 6 if using six month rule (Cat A) or total over 12 months (Cat B).

3. If self employed or Ltd company director you have to use Cat B and generally show tax has been paid to HMRC, via CT600 if Ltd.

4. Savings can count, first £16k discounted, £62.5k means no income required, savings alone count. There's a sliding rule for those with less savings to earn less pa. Savings must be accessible, available to the applicant, not loaned, and have been held for six months minimum (except for sale of house, can use immediately).

5. Requirement is increased by £2400 for each non-Brit kid.

Whilst I agree with the requirements here, some genuine people can be caught out, i.e. if one was living with ones Russian wife in Russia and wanted to return home to UK with said wife, you need to return alone, find a salaried job that meets the financial test, hold it for six months, wife would than apply and you'd need to pay around £2k for the privilege including International Health Surcharge. Not too onerous for folks with half a brain but still a pain in the arse. Also it would be highly unlikely you'd be granted a six month visit visa to cover the gap with a spouse in the UK so it's still a waiting game.

Perhaps the old method was fairer, where you'd merely needed to prove you had enough spare cash from income less outgoings to support another person in accordance with UK Gov. published figures (think it used to be around £105 per week for a couple clear after all outgoings).

Simples!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Jesca

• Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 04:08:37 AM »
<...>

Pretty well bullet-pointed. I was not going into much detail deeming it was not relevant for a non-Brit poster above. But who knows! might help some reader. Thanks.

Gosh, looking back I am happy all visa stuff is now past for me... Good luck to all entering the waters.

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 05:41:54 PM »
<...>

Pretty well bullet-pointed. I was not going into much detail deeming it was not relevant for a non-Brit poster above. But who knows! might help some reader. Thanks.

Gosh, looking back I am happy all visa stuff is now past for me... Good luck to all entering the waters.

Thank you.   :thumbsup:  It should help the UK readers here.   Good luck to those also reentering the waters too.    ;D

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
I think for the UK the rate needs to bet set at 8 x a Bradford taxi drivers monthly income... :ROFL:

That should keep a few spongers out at least..

Offline xsmilex

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 06:18:23 PM »
goddammit. now i'm going to have to go get a double shift at McDonalds
Rich (xsmilex)

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 09:06:26 AM »
What about this chap? Brit, married a Moldovan, applied for her spouse visa extension, used the wrong form, now an overstayer, doesn't want to send her home to reapply....

https://www.immigrationboards.com/immigration-for-family-members/wife-s-ilr-extension-refused-advice-please-t226754.html
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
What about this chap? Brit, married a Moldovan, applied for her spouse visa extension, used the wrong form, now an overstayer, doesn't want to send her home to reapply....

https://www.immigrationboards.com/immigration-for-family-members/wife-s-ilr-extension-refused-advice-please-t226754.html
Didn't do his homework now trying to argue the case, the dimwit.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 09:51:26 AM »
The guy was trying to do a moby and cheap out on the job. Thought he was the brightest boy in the room and wasn't.

Twąt.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 11:05:17 AM »
The guy was trying to do a moby and cheap out on the job. Thought he was the brightest boy in the room and wasn't.

Twąt.

:ROFL: 

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »
For Americans
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

For Canadians
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5482Eguide.asp#tb-3

NOTE: I came up with the links using a Google search for informational
purposes. Always do your own due diligence, it's not my wife that
could be sent home if my link had information on it that turned out to be
incorrect. 

If you are close to the income cutoff and you are self employed, my advice
is to consult with a tax adviser so that he knows what your goals are. You
can often use a different depreciation method or change the way you deduct
some things so that you amortize them over a longer period of time rather
than what makes the best case to lower the butchers bill at the IRS. 

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Boris

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 12:52:47 PM »
If you are below the cutoff here in the States you probably shouldn't be doing this anyway...

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »
If you are below the cutoff here in the States you probably shouldn't be doing this anyway...

Same here but it doesn't stop them from trying.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 06:31:20 PM »
Reading "Ste's Post" reminded me of Richard ("Rvrwind") back in the day lived in Russia for around 5 years and had to return to Canada, get a job and provide a record of earnings before he could apply for his wife of 5 years to join him in Canada.  This all happened around 8 to 9 years ago as the old-timers here will recall.  So much the same in most countries it seems if you do not meet the local support requirement for bring a spouse into the country then he/she will not arrive legally.  It all seems reasonable as why should the rest of the people in country be held to account for anyone else's misdeeds.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 10:57:44 PM »
The guy was trying to do a moby and cheap out on the job.

As my name was mentioned I need to correct a misleading and misinformed assertion from someone who has a habit of posting ill-researched 'fact'..

1/ I was able to demonstrate that I was earning in excess of the UK immigration route - supplying 10cm thick of printouts of third party, verifiable Bank Statements and Company accounts

2/ I was able to demonstrate I could support my wife and step-son and housed them in a 4 bedroom home in a desirable part of the UK

Despite my run in with a financial institution - which screwed one of my main sources of income for 18 months - I was able to demonstrate that I had earnt more than the current UK min. via verifiable, audited accounts to get my family members Permanent Residency of the UK

I agree with the earnings proof requirement - I already stated that.

Some background:

'Moby' lived and worked in Cyrus - an EU member state and exercised his treaty rights to live / work within another EU state. As has andrewfi ...

So, you'd think he might have researched the criteria to 'import' a non EU family to the UK - and then obtaining UK Perm Residency - before posting SO daft ..

Hang on a mo ... He has no experience of such matters.

I already had an Irish passport, would have been quite happy to go the UK immigration route, but my step-son's age precluded going the UK immigration route. He was in his 18th year when we married and he lived in Cyprus with us after finishing the Russian State school system equiv of high school / secondary education. Going the EU route, was best for HIM...HIS future.and our only option - as the EU route considers him to be my dependent until 21 years ( or finishing full-time education )

Not that bringing up another guys kid and ensuring his path through Tertiary education is 'cheap'...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »
I think for the UK the rate needs to bet set at 8 x a Bradford taxi drivers monthly income... :ROFL:

Did someone mention spongers?  It seems that protests have popped up in Belarus about stopping a sponger tax.  "The tax which has been called various names including the “social parasite tax”, the “anti-sponging tax”, and the “vagrant tax”."
A $200 tax is not "chump change" in that part of the world.   Is this the beginning of a revolution?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulcoyer/2017/03/13/near-revolution-in-belarus-lukashenkas-balancing-act-and-putins-fear-of-another-maidan/#5b22076977a2

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »

Did someone mention spongers?  It seems that protests have popped up in Belarus about stopping a sponger tax.  "The tax which has been called various names including the “social parasite tax”, the “anti-sponging tax”, and the “vagrant tax”."
A $200 tax is not "chump change" in that part of the world.   Is this the beginning of a revolution?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulcoyer/2017/03/13/near-revolution-in-belarus-lukashenkas-balancing-act-and-putins-fear-of-another-maidan/#5b22076977a2

The UK is a country of spongers and people who think they are owed a living.. ;D