The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: New £18,600 Income Limit to Bring a Spouse to the UK  (Read 681 times)

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
New £18,600 Income Limit to Bring a Spouse to the UK
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:53:04 AM »
Not sure this is the best thread but it is relevant.

"The Supreme Court is to rule on whether an income barrier stopping thousands of British citizens from bringing a foreign spouse to the UK is lawful.
As of 2012, Britons must earn more than £18,600 before a husband or wife from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) can settle in the UK."

It's been said here many times but my personal view is that people shouldn't be able to import wives from abroad if they can't afford to take care of them. It's one of those controversial topics like families having 15 kids and living entirely off the state but I'm pretty firm on this policy. Let's see what it brings but I certainly wouldn't be chasing women from abroad and bringing them back to the UK if I couldn't earn more than £18,600 a year. This still isn't a great deal of money in this day and age.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39042445

Offline Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
Re: New £18,600 Income Limit to Bring a Spouse to the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:43:17 AM »

"The Supreme Court is to rule on whether an income barrier stopping thousands of British citizens from bringing a foreign spouse to the UK is lawful.
As of 2012, Britons must earn more than £18,600 before a husband or wife from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) can settle in the UK."

It's been said here many times but my personal view is that people shouldn't be able to import wives from abroad if they can't afford to take care of them. It's one of those controversial topics like families having 15 kids and living entirely off the state but I'm pretty firm on this policy. Let's see what it brings but I certainly wouldn't be chasing women from abroad and bringing them back to the UK if I couldn't earn more than £18,600 a year. This still isn't a great deal of money in this day and age.

Yeah, the guardinistas gave been frothing at the mouth over this "unjust" law. How dare people who can't afford to support a spouse and kids be barred from importing them? I say raise the threshold even higher to what the benefit cap is, £26000.
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 04:44:26 AM »

Yeah, the guardinistas gave been frothing at the mouth over this "unjust" law. How dare people who can't afford to support a spouse and kids be barred from importing them? I say raise the threshold even higher to what the benefit cap is, £26000.

Higher Higher  :thumbsup:

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »

I agree entirely.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
This would not be fair with people who have fluctuating annual incomes such as self employed individuals.  And to those who have plenty of non-income producing assets (such as a large stash of diamonds or gold).   :D

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 01:10:31 AM »
This would not be fair with people who have fluctuating annual incomes such as self employed individuals.  And to those who have plenty of non-income producing assets (such as a large stash of diamonds or gold).   :D
It is not said how they must earn this. Fluctuating income and below 18000 quid/annum? then your not a very good self-employed individual and be better off with a normal job.

Netherlands has this law a long time already, you must make >1500 euro/month or its no-visa for your lovers.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Jesca

• Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 02:08:16 AM »
It is not said how they must earn this. Fluctuating income and below 18000 quid/annum? then your not a very good self-employed individual and be better off with a normal job.

Markje, there is a "small print" detail in this UK's regulation. It is formulated the way that if the income is coming from one source (like a "normal job") - no problem. But self-employed individuals are assessed under a different procedure. And often a self-employed Briton who makes more than enough per year faces great difficulties complying with the requirement - due to multiple income sources.  Because some types of sources do not count.
If it was as easy as X euro (pounds) per month and that's it - that would be heaven for everyone (c)...

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 02:30:38 AM »

Markje, there is a "small print" detail in this UK's regulation. It is formulated the way that if the income is coming from one source (like a "normal job") - no problem. But self-employed individuals are assessed under a different procedure. And often a self-employed Briton who makes more than enough per year faces great difficulties complying with the requirement - due to multiple income sources.  Because some types of sources do not count.
If it was as easy as X euro (pounds) per month and that's it - that would be heaven for everyone (c)...
In that case, the NL has a better law. It says that your 'taxable' income must be above 1500/month. So your tax statements are the primary source for the visa.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Ste

• Lol!
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 03:43:30 AM »

The UK rules are more complex but quite easy to figure out when you know!

1. The requirement (assuming not non-UK kids) is £18600 pa, or more accurately £1550 pm if salaried.

2. If wages are variable, ECO will always take the lowest times 6 if using six month rule (Cat A) or total over 12 months (Cat B).

3. If self employed or Ltd company director you have to use Cat B and generally show tax has been paid to HMRC, via CT600 if Ltd.

4. Savings can count, first £16k discounted, £62.5k means no income required, savings alone count. There's a sliding rule for those with less savings to earn less pa. Savings must be accessible, available to the applicant, not loaned, and have been held for six months minimum (except for sale of house, can use immediately).

5. Requirement is increased by £2400 for each non-Brit kid.

Whilst I agree with the requirements here, some genuine people can be caught out, i.e. if one was living with ones Russian wife in Russia and wanted to return home to UK with said wife, you need to return alone, find a salaried job that meets the financial test, hold it for six months, wife would than apply and you'd need to pay around £2k for the privilege including International Health Surcharge. Not too onerous for folks with half a brain but still a pain in the arse. Also it would be highly unlikely you'd be granted a six month visit visa to cover the gap with a spouse in the UK so it's still a waiting game.

Perhaps the old method was fairer, where you'd merely needed to prove you had enough spare cash from income less outgoings to support another person in accordance with UK Gov. published figures (think it used to be around £105 per week for a couple clear after all outgoings).

Simples!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Jesca

• Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 04:08:37 AM »
<...>

Pretty well bullet-pointed. I was not going into much detail deeming it was not relevant for a non-Brit poster above. But who knows! might help some reader. Thanks.

Gosh, looking back I am happy all visa stuff is now past for me... Good luck to all entering the waters.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 05:41:54 PM »
<...>

Pretty well bullet-pointed. I was not going into much detail deeming it was not relevant for a non-Brit poster above. But who knows! might help some reader. Thanks.

Gosh, looking back I am happy all visa stuff is now past for me... Good luck to all entering the waters.

Thank you.   :thumbsup:  It should help the UK readers here.   Good luck to those also reentering the waters too.    ;D

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
I think for the UK the rate needs to bet set at 8 x a Bradford taxi drivers monthly income... :ROFL:

That should keep a few spongers out at least..

Offline xsmilex

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 06:18:23 PM »
goddammit. now i'm going to have to go get a double shift at McDonalds
Rich (xsmilex)

Online Ste

• Lol!
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 09:06:26 AM »
What about this chap? Brit, married a Moldovan, applied for her spouse visa extension, used the wrong form, now an overstayer, doesn't want to send her home to reapply....

https://www.immigrationboards.com/immigration-for-family-members/wife-s-ilr-extension-refused-advice-please-t226754.html
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
What about this chap? Brit, married a Moldovan, applied for her spouse visa extension, used the wrong form, now an overstayer, doesn't want to send her home to reapply....

https://www.immigrationboards.com/immigration-for-family-members/wife-s-ilr-extension-refused-advice-please-t226754.html
Didn't do his homework now trying to argue the case, the dimwit.
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato