The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: FSUW attitudes about money and posessions.  (Read 1917 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: FSUW attitudes about money and posessions.
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 10:44:10 PM »
He, the head; you the neck.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 10:59:18 PM »
They say disagreements/conflict over money matters is the number one reason for divorce in the US. From what I have gathered so far, there is a difference between the way FSUW view of money and finances than American women or men (or at least than me). Of course I am speaking in generalities. I have heard a couple of different explanations and ideas on the topic.

One of them is that FSU people don't have much money so they spend what they have quickly without saving. This doesn't exactly make sense to me.

Another idea is that one's status is very important and one's status can be determined by the square footage/zip code of one's house, the make and year of one's car, the size of the diamond on a wife's finger, and the maker of the clothes and accessories one wears. Indeed, when I was in Kiev I was shocked by the number of Mercedes G wagens I saw in a country where I've been told an income of $1000/month is way above average. I don't think a G wagen is any less expensive in Kiev than Northern California, perhaps even more.

As the son of a mid western sugar beet farmer, I learned to save like a squirrel, and it has put me in a pretty good position at this point in my life, considering my vocation. However, I find myself at loggerheads with my FSU fiance in regard to money issues. I am concerned that we might be incompatible on this issue.

I have heard similar comments from other men who have married FSUW, about different attitudes toward money,  but they seem to be able to navigate this issue.

I have heard that FSUW have a hard time respecting their husbands unless they have the things that they think they should have. Furthermore, I have heard that there is a difference between women who grew up during the Soviet Union and those who grew up primarily after it's dissolution.

Is this a common issue? Are there ways to mitigate it's impact? What other thoughts do you have on the matter?

maybe now you understand why the other guy rejected her (she claims she rejected him, right?)

bail on this fast while you still can. good luck!  :trainwreck:
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Chickenbrah

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 01:07:16 AM »
In my opinion, it depends on the girl.

It does.

My wife bucked all these stereotypes. She and I are on the same page.

Once she had convinced herself that I wasn't foolish with money, that I earned more than I spent, that I had a few shillings put aside for a rainy day, etc., she left everything financial to me from day one and she trusts me implicitly in that regard. That has worked just fine the last ten years or so.

Every now and again we have the discussion about our joint net worth. If something happened to me, what she would sell to discharge any liabilities, etc.

We are perhaps different to most in that I don't believe in credit for consumer goods, so we don't have car loans and credit card debt, etc. If we have the spare money we buy it - if we don't, we save till we do.

Yes, she likes diamonds, designer clothes and stuff any woman does. But she also works in our business, and understands how we make every penny. She knows how many hours of her work go into every restaurant meal we eat. Why we mostly eat better quality stuff at home............

You found yourself a great person!

Offline Jesca

• Spouses Country: UK
Re: FSUW attitudes about money and posessions - Head and Neck
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 03:15:30 AM »
He, the head; you the neck.

And still, I believe - folks are better off (more exactly, happier) choosing roles based on abilities...as well as proclivities )

I had witnessed a very interesting example of a relationship between a softie and a toughie.
The softie was a man. The toughie was a woman.
According to her, she "let him believe he was the "head"/boss. (And she was secretly proud of herself being so cunning. LOL)
As for him... He let her believe she was the real power behind the throne - simply out of love for her. She enjoyed this idea, so he was keeping her happy )
The couple lasted 40+ years. They were my grandparents.

Nuff said )

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 03:18:15 AM »
One way or another, it seems to me that many successful, collaborative, relationships, work in this manner.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Jesca

• Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 03:20:40 AM »
 :nod: If it works - it is great, whatever the way. And so be it.

Offline justadude

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 09:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Lots of wisdom here. Much appreciated.

Registration