The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Best way to send money to Ukraine  (Read 10126 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
Best way to send money to Ukraine
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
What is the best way to send money to a person in the Ukraine? I sent $70 with money gram and paid $9 to do so. The person to whom I want to send money setup a paypal account but I was unable to send it that way. Apparantly payapl wont' allow this to Ukraine at this time. Is there an American bank with a branch in Kiev, so that I could open an account there and make money available to this person that way? I tried Citibank, who claims to have a Ukrainian presence, but the customer service reps here in the US claim there are no Ukrainian branches. What about a prepaid VISA card and then provide the number to the person? I would like to avoid or minimize transaction fees.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Texan77

• Trips: 20+
Re: Best way to send money to Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:47:11 PM »
What is the best way to send money to a person in the Ukraine? I sent $70 with money gram and paid $9 to do so.

Western Union if you use on line it is only ten dollars. You can send much larger amounts for the same fee. They have offices in many banks in Ukraine just about everywhere.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:12:54 AM »
 :'(
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 01:31:00 AM »

Hands up who has NEVER sent money to their loved one / parents ?

Only Steveboy?

Presuming you have met her, already - either get her a pre-paid card from which you can transfer money and open a Raiffeisen Bank account next time you are there.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 02:08:33 AM »

I wish I had back all the money I've sent overseas. I could buy a swell apartment with it here in Tbilisi.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 02:18:18 AM »

I wish I had back all the money I've sent overseas. I could buy a swell apartment with it here in Tbilisi.

Most folks need to go through that "lets just throw money at the problem" phase before learning.  :thumbsup:

Offline Maxx

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 02:46:36 AM »

Most folks need to go through that "lets just throw money at the problem" phase before learning.  :thumbsup:

A ten commandment at another forum, "Thou shalt not send money to a woman I've never met" should be firmed up with also being careful sending money to women you have met.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 03:55:55 AM »

A ten commandment at another forum, "Thou shalt not send money to a woman I've never met" should be firmed up with also being careful sending money to women you have met.
As a general rule I agree that sending money is a bad idea. However, this should be tempered to individual circumstances where a relationship exists. One may need to send money for various expenses and therefore it makes sense to explore avenues of sending money cheaply.
Why is there this tendency to mock at all and sundry? The OP has made his choices. He alone will have to live with those. He's asked a reasonable question. Just give him a reasonable answer without sniping.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 04:01:02 AM »
Do NOT send money to a woman that you have never met.

I you want to spend some money buy a lottery ticket, hey you never know. But the odds of winning a fSU woman and the lottery are not so far apart.

For what it is worth the majority of women that I met in Ukraine never even hinted at funds and I suspect a majority would refuse an offer of funds from an unknown man.

But to answer the initial question MoneyGram is cheaper than Western Union. The cheapest way to transfer funds is with a debit card that she can use and that you can top up. Bear in mind that not all banks provide this service and some banks in The States do not allow you to use your credit/debit card in Ukraine.

Citibank does have a large branch in Kivy on Dilova Street and I seem to recall also seeing a branch in L'viv.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Maxx

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 04:02:25 AM »

As a general rule I agree that sending money is a bad idea. However, this should be tempered to individual circumstances where a relationship exists. One may need to send money for various expenses and therefore it makes sense to explore avenues of sending money cheaply.
Why is there this tendency to mock at all and sundry? The OP has made his choices. He alone will have to live with those. He's asked a reasonable question. Just give him a reasonable answer without sniping.

I am not sniping. I wish him luck. My comment was directed to the guys that don't have valid reasons to send money.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 04:02:56 AM »
We opened a bank account in Ukraine with a local bank and I transferred money as and when. It also helped with visa applications to show a positivebank balance. The greater the amount the cheaper it was. I didn't do it too often so the cost was immaterial.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 04:04:52 AM »

I am not sniping. I wish him luck. My comment was directed to the guys that don't have valid reasons to send money.
I wasn't referring specifically to any one person, Maxx.  tiphat

Offline Maxx

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 04:10:50 AM »
and some banks in The States do not allow you to use your credit/debit card in Ukraine.

This happened recently to a guy I know. He had to convince them at his credit card company to send the money to the Philippines. Got ripped off for $1200. The next time he found a company in China that guaranteed another woman a visa and a plane ticket. About $1200 again. Same outcome. This seems beyond stupid.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 04:12:16 AM »

I wasn't referring specifically to any one person, Maxx.  tiphat

Peace brother and fellow lover of women from the FSU  tiphat

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 06:32:33 AM »

To be fair, once you've found your significant other there is going to be that time when you need to forward funds. I've done it.

The difference is that, this isn't a "throw money at the problem" occasion. Too many folks meet a woman, get c*nt struck and then feel the need to throw cash at them in between visits whilst not really having a relationship.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »

To be fair, once you've found your significant other there is going to be that time when you need to forward funds. I've done it.

The difference is that, this isn't a "throw money at the problem" occasion. Too many folks meet a woman, get c*nt struck and then feel the need to throw cash at them in between visits whilst not really having a relationship.

BINGO, but at least first meet them.

I am not saying this for the initial poster/post but for the lurkers out there.

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 10:58:54 AM »

Only Steveboy?

Presuming you have met her, already - either get her a pre-paid card from which you can transfer money and open a Raiffeisen Bank account next time you are there.

His profile says no trips.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 11:40:05 AM »

Only Steveboy?

His profile says no trips.
His profile needs updating. He's been.

Offline justadude

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »
I agree it would be foolish to send money to a woman you have never met. Then again, I did do that one time. But I was buying a house from her and it was handled by an Escrow/Title Company so it worked out. :)

Thanks for the advice. Even though I suspect the amount is going to be less than a couple thousand all together, I still like the idea of using a bank account to which she has access. I spoke with two different Customer Service Reps at CitiBank, both of whom stated there are no branches in Ukraine.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »
I agree it would be foolish to send money to a woman you have never met. Then again, I did do that one time. But I was buying a house from her and it was handled by an Escrow/Title Company so it worked out. :)

Thanks for the advice. Even though I suspect the amount is going to be less than a couple thousand all together, I still like the idea of using a bank account to which she has access. I spoke with two different Customer Service Reps at CitiBank, both of whom stated there are no branches in Ukraine.

Maybe they need to learn how to use google.. :laugh:

http://www.citigroup.com/citi/about/countrypresence/ukraine.html
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online AvHdB

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 01:00:01 AM »

Ah a Customer Service Rep, is that someone so incompetent that thy can not even clean bathrooms.

Trust me they have a branch in Kiev ~ if you go to Citibank's web site and type in Citibank/Ukraine it leads you there own page. But there may be a problem in that they are strictly a commercial bank in Ukraine. But there Debit/Credit card should work there.

An employee of mine has an incomplete W2 (we moved salary processing firms) upon calling a Customer Representative at said firm it was explained that the W2 was generated by the (IRS) government and to call them.  >:( WTF!   I decided it was best if I hung up went for a short walk and than try again.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 03:11:50 AM »

Only Steveboy?

I have to work hard and long hours for my money and I'm not in the habit of sending money to strangers who broke their flip flops or need an operation on they pussy..

I look at it like this..If the women you are communicating with has been managing on her own for some time , maybe 2/3/4/5 years? What on earth is a poxy $100 going to help her with? A weeks shopping? Its more of an insult.
You want to send money send like $50,000 otherwise don't waste your time.. :laugh:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 04:30:57 AM »

I have to work hard and long hours for my money and I'm not in the habit of sending money to strangers who broke their flip flops or need an operation on they pussy..

I look at it like this..If the women you are communicating with has been managing on her own for some time , maybe 2/3/4/5 years? What on earth is a poxy $100 going to help her with? A weeks shopping? Its more of an insult.
You want to send money send like $50,000 otherwise don't waste your time.. :laugh:

I will bet nearly all of us have sent money to our loved ones or parents, when in a relationship
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 05:33:02 PM »

Ah a Customer Service Rep, is that someone so incompetent that thy can not even clean bathrooms.

Trust me they have a branch in Kiev ~ if you go to Citibank's web site and type in Citibank/Ukraine it leads you there own page. But there may be a problem in that they are strictly a commercial bank in Ukraine. But there Debit/Credit card should work there.

An employee of mine has an incomplete W2 (we moved salary processing firms) upon calling a Customer Representative at said firm it was explained that the W2 was generated by the (IRS) government and to call them.  >:( WTF!   I decided it was best if I hung up went for a short walk and than try again.

Considering what they are paid, CSR tends to be not be well versed with the company rules and regulations. They only know what they are taught (which often is not sufficient for overall knowledge).

The Citibank site seems to mention the Dilova Street branch in Kiev is a commercial bank.  So it might be limited for non-commercial customers.

W2 forms are filed by employers to the IRS to report annual wages to SSA.  The CSR may be correct if he/she was referring that the preprinted forms can be obtained from the IRS. So the government agency does generate the forms for use by the employers.  Maybe the CSR was thinking that you were looking for a blank form to fill out to replace the incomplete form?  Some of them assume that everything that is processed by the firm will "never" be incomplete.    :'(   :duh:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 05:35:54 PM »

Only Steveboy?

Depending on black market exchange rates, $100 can go a long way in some places.  If you take the local buses a lot, that is a lot of bus fare "chump change".   :nod:

What type of operation? Like inserting or removing a IUD?   :evilgrin0002:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd