The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How strange!  (Read 327 times)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
How strange!
« on: February 18, 2017, 12:27:25 PM »
A few days ago MrsDS learned of an Ukrainian lady living in our little village. We had never heard of her.
She has been the UK for 25 years. Never been back to Ukraine in all that time.
She must have been amongst the earliest arrivals post the end of the USSR.
Now divorced with grown up children.
Just thought it interesting.
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato

Online Jerash

• Trips: 1-5
Re: How strange!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
A few days ago MrsDS learned of an Ukrainian lady living in our little village. We had never heard of her.

Interesting, yes.  Hope you and your nice wife will go meet her and learn more!

Offline Texan77

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 03:46:50 PM »

I wonder what part of Ukraine she came from?  Anyway if you find out more it would be interesting. Good story.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »
I found out not long ago a bloke who runs a Post Office in a neighbouring village is married to a Russian woman called Olga and has been the last ten years or so.

I suggested we call in for a nosey out of curiosity, but wifey said she is about as interested as I would be meeting a random English bloke in Russia who happened to be called Smith. I get her point.  :coffeeread:

Offline Dogsoldier

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 12:44:20 AM »

I wonder what part of Ukraine she came from?  Anyway if you find out more it would be interesting. Good story.
Apparently from Kharkiv. We came to know of her through another acquaintance. This lady ran/runs a dance school which turns out top notch dancers. (Not verified)

Offline Dogsoldier

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:34:50 AM »
I found out not long ago a bloke who runs a Post Office in a neighbouring village is married to a Russian woman called Olga and has been the last ten years or so.

I suggested we call in for a nosey out of curiosity, but wifey said she is about as interested as I would be meeting a random English bloke in Russia who happened to be called Smith. I get her point.  :coffeeread:
We know of loads of RU/UA ladies locally and further afield. Not long ago we were thinking of getting some fitted wardrobes. When the bloke turned up to do the measurements turns out he was dating an UA bird.
It makes me think that the accepted notion of only 5% getting on a plane of which just 2% are successful isn't supported by the anecdotal evidence.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 02:04:53 AM »
Thats nothing! In a very small town next to the small village where I lived a local guy married a women from Ukraine nearly 30 years ago! He was fat and what ever , she was slim and beautiful. It was and still is the talk of the even today :laugh:
There were no Russian/Ukrainian sites then. Not sure how he met but the gossip was rife in the village, like it usually is in villages..most think I sell or sold drugs :ROFL:

Online Ste

• Lol!
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:27:15 AM »
There's lots of Ukrainians in my home town of Bolton, settled after the war. Was chatting to a local historian some years ago at Smithills Hall, he said they were much pillaried due to siding with the Nazis in WW2 - then changing back when it turned out Stalins lot weren't as bad as the Germans...

Had a shit load of Iron Crosses I renember.

There's still a burgeoning Ukrainian Club near town.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 05:47:13 AM »
We have Poles, similarly.

I had my first taste of vodka at one of the Polish clubs near to my home.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Ste

• Lol!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »
We have Poles, similarly.

I had my first taste of vodka at one of the Polish clubs near to my home.

We had (have) a Polish Club too - wonder if it's still there (Avenue Street, Bolton). That voddy was lethal, even had it in Morrisons in town before Morrisons became a proper supermarket, 140% and 160% ISTR, plain label, just said 'Polish Vodka'. I bought some for my brothers birthday just as it coincided with one of his extremely rare non-drinking periods so not only did he not get the benefit of receiving a rare present from me, I finished it all off for him before he resumed his drinking career.

There was also some Hungarian lads near us too, not many though. Not enough to form clubs!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 06:28:04 AM »
I don't remember the label, except that it was an intricate sort of a thing all curly wurly lines and, IIRC blue and gold ink.

But what a cruel gift to buy your brother.  :'(

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Ste

• Lol!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 06:32:24 AM »
I don't remember the label, except that it was an intricate sort of a thing all curly wurly lines and, IIRC blue and gold ink.

But what a cruel gift to buy your brother.  :'(

He used to brew his own pocheen!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 09:02:30 AM »

We know of loads of RU/UA ladies locally and further afield. Not long ago we were thinking of getting some fitted wardrobes. When the bloke turned up to do the measurements turns out he was dating an UA bird.
It makes me think that the accepted notion of only 5% getting on a plane of which just 2% are successful isn't supported by the anecdotal evidence.

Maybe more of them prefer the English countryside and blokes who speak English.  :-X

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 10:01:44 AM »
There was a Ukrainian women who married a local farmer near our village , it only lasted a few years. She was expecting to become a queen. Most wealthy farmers in Dorset buy their underwear second hand it wasn't going to be how she expected  :laugh:

Anyway she left him and returned to Ukraine for a better life.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 10:47:58 AM »
Well, if one likes the slavic thing, just roll up at my gym on any given Sunday. There's bound to be a brace or two of young slavic women in the sauna and pool.

I that's what floats yer boat that's great but I reckon I get more rarity value over there than they do over here these days!