The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: CallCentric and Internet Phone Services?  (Read 371 times)

Online Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
CallCentric and Internet Phone Services?
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:45:22 AM »

Does anyone here use such services? I've been using Skype but I would like to use my Apple laptop to call phone numbers in the US. Is it possible to get an area code of my choosing?

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: CallCentric and Internet Phone Services?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:07:20 AM »
Maxx, you 'naughty' boy..

Of course Callcentric offer such a service for (say) Houston

It's 1.95 / month and 3.95 setup ..

I can get Houston numbers for 2 USD / month - without a setup fee and FAR cheaper calls :)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:58 PM »
with skype you can choose area codes to suit you.

you can use skype on apple computers

https://support.skype.com/en/skype/ipad/

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online msmoby

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
You could always buy a SKYPE numbdr for 3 times the price :)

https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/?intcmp=CS-Upsell-FA269-2

Online Maxx

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:55:50 AM »
You could always buy a SKYPE numbdr for 3 times the price :)

https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/?intcmp=CS-Upsell-FA269-2

No problem, I'm rich  (:)

I just purchased a Skype phone number for my last known whereabouts, East Texas. Still trying to figure out how to use it. I suppose I could Google it on youtube

$52 for 12 months and I can give the illusion... (Except my sister and niece know)

Online msmoby

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 01:12:22 AM »

No problem, I'm rich  (:)

One gets less poor by not paying so much for a better service, elsewhere :)

I just purchased a Skype phone number for my last known whereabouts, East Texas. Still trying to figure out how to use it. I suppose I could Google it on youtube

it's here:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA256/how-do-i-get-a-skype-number

$52 for 12 months and I can give the illusion... (Except my sister and niece know)

You were 'robbed'

I could have got you the same for 24USD / year :))

Offline Boris

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 09:41:05 AM »
MOBY said:
Quote from: Maxx on Today at 07:55:50

You were 'robbed'

Bundled with satellite service...of course....Sorry couldn't resist...

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »

Yes, but people here know you are unreliable to do business with. I expect he wants it to work, not go off and find you unreachable as others who transacted with you in media items found some time back.

With payments by Paypal of course.  :chuckle:

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »

Yes, but people here know you are unreliable to do business with. I expect he wants it to work, not go off and find you unreachable as others who transacted with you in media items found some time back.

Or World pay... ;D

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »

Sure, and THEY also take credit cards...  it is a Russian firm operating out of Bulgaria ...

Or World pay... ;D

Ah, you thought I was drumming up biz ? ....  I quoted the cost price ... I don't feel the need to profit from offering advice..

Anyway, it might result in my "dole money" being 'stopped' and/or  'ineligibility to ''sell the 'Big Issue' on street corners'' ...    :coffeeread:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 03:24:33 PM »
Actually, you don't need to pay so much with Skype either. I don't pay anything like that, but we learn as we go.

I don't know what offers are available now but you get big discounts with subscriptions. It works well when you are making international calls.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online msmoby

That's the impression you seek to portray / perpetuate...    :chuckle:

Been reading up on my life from a 'reliable source', Boris ? )))

Back on topic ....

Maxx, if you are bored ... ( I did tell you your posting this question would result in a trollfest ) send me message with your Skype -in number and I'll call you like I'm from: Moscow, Houston, Gloucestershire, Manchester ...  and clients can get me for the price of a local call.

I just called SC  on the beach in Thailand -  for nought - using my 'cell phone' .....  to get her to connect to the internet - so we could videochat via Skype ..  Love SKYPE  for THAT .. Clear blue skies and 34C ..It was minus 2C in Manchester for the Chinese New Year festivities.:(  I was the guest of one of the largest Chinese Mobile phone manufacturers . 

I wanted a Samsung Note 7 - the one withdrawn -as the batteries caught fire and SC has dropped my Note 5  ( She mistakenly threw my Note 4  out the window last year - gotta love that girl ) ..The Chinese gave me a new model smartphone to try - minus the Note series stylus :(

I charged it up Thursday week ago and it lasted SEVEN days without recharging ..SEVEN days ... That included using it's battery to charge the Samsung Note 5, once - who's battery will not last a day in normal usage...  It's even got dual-sim capability ..a GREAT phone for the traveller or a present for one's FSU partner who never remembers to charge up ;)

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/lenovo-p2-review-3653461/

IF you are a Brit  - get yourself a THREE  network sim ( prepaid will do ) and you can call 30 plus destinations - incl. China ( land line and mobiles - Manny !) for free

Online Maxx

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 12:47:10 AM »
I am feeling away around here with this phone thing. Some things I.T. etc. are unfamiliar to me including navigating my way through a smart phone. Sign of old age I am afraid.

I used Skype because I am familiar with it. The other features it has I never considered before.

What I've accomplished so far is getting a 903 area code with a caller ID saying "Greenville, Texas." I used to live outside of Greenville a few years back and most recently was there. The one year purchase of my new phone number is $52.

I also purchased $25 of Skype credit. This allows me to call landlines and cell phones showing I am calling from Greenville, Texas. How long this will last, the cost per minute, I'll let you know.

To test this I called using Skype on this Apple laptop to my I-phone 4s I had purchased in Georgia. The I-phone rang and on its caller ID showed the call as coming from "903-XXX-XXXX Greenville, Texas" and not Tbilisi, Georgia.

:party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031: :party0031:

Online Maxx

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 01:28:28 AM »

Ouch!!! I tested it calling a local number here and it is cost me 20 cents a minute! That works out to $12 an hour. It did say Greenville Texas on their caller ID. I read someplace it was to cost 2.3 cents a minute. I could live with that as I won't be making too many international calls. But at almost 10 times as much, the cost is ridiculous. 

Online Maxx

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 01:42:53 AM »
I am feeling away around here with this phone thing.

It pays to look closer

Or $1.38 an hour to U.S.A