The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Belarus Becoming Visa Free For Many  (Read 547 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Belarus Becoming Visa Free For Many
« on: January 10, 2017, 01:13:59 AM »
This could be an interesting development...

http://president.gov.by/en/news_en/view/belarus-introduces-five-day-visa-free-regime-for-citizens-of-80-states-15344/

Interesting if correct.  :nod:

Online msmoby

Re: Belarus Becoming Visa Free For Many
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 01:56:43 AM »
Oho, got all 'excited' - until I saw

1/ Applies to Minsk airport only

2/ NOT if routing via Minsk to / from  Russia... as they are considered domestic flights - so no border controls..

Not helpful for those VISA nationals seeking to transit to from / Russia :(

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:51 AM »
This could be an interesting development...

http://president.gov.by/en/news_en/view/belarus-introduces-five-day-visa-free-regime-for-citizens-of-80-states-15344/

Interesting if correct.  :nod:

It is indeed correct. We had the father-in-law on the blower yesterday, sharing the news. I thanked him for sharing but said it was a pity it was their turn to come to us!  :)

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »
5 days is better than paying for a visa. But, I would prefer a 14 day visa. I could see more of the country.

:)

It didn't say anything about transit out. I wonder if you can leave out by train? Or, if you must leave out the same way you came in?

And I agree with Manny. There seem to be some loopholes - how do you prove 10,000 Euro insurance? In USA all we carry is an insurance card.

Wayne

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 11:22:48 AM »
Insurance will probably be purchased at the airport on arrival. Chances are that external insurance will not suffice or will be very hard to demonstrate compliance with Belarusian requirements. €10,000 of cover is miniscule so my guess is that this will prove to be a form of entry tax.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 06:10:48 PM »
The title is a bit deceiving. Unless you have a Russian passport.

How to travel from visa-free Belarus to Russia?

http://rbth.com/international/2017/01/12/how-to-travel-from-visa-free-belarus-to-russia_679541
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »

http://rbth.com/international/2017/01/12/how-to-travel-from-visa-free-belarus-to-russia_679541

Tom, the article says traveling from Belarus to Russia is only legal by air and with a Russian visa?  How is it illegal to cross into Russia from Belarus by train with a Belarusian and Russian visa?  Belarus even offers a 48 hour transit visa if traveling by train.  In the transit visa application you must note which country you are traveling from and to.  For example from Poland to Russia, would obviously warrant a transit through Belarusian territory.  Or from Ukraine to Lithuania. 

Online msmoby

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:14 AM »

Tom, the article says traveling from Belarus to Russia is only legal by air and with a Russian visa?  How is it illegal to cross into Russia from Belarus by train with a Belarusian and Russian visa?

It isn't ..One arrivex by air - collecting the BL visa, then onward by overground transport...

Going back this way after five days would be difficult - unless getting another BL visa at Moscow

What is interesting is why 'Lukashouldgo' has done it.. ? Money?

Now entering Ru without a visa and being checked is much easier..

He may find that Moscow realises this and it will be quietly dropped - if it means increased border security with Ru..

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
Has anyone tried visa free travel to Belarus yet? I've been considering A possible stop in Minsk, should I decide to jump back into FSUW dating.

Visa-Free Travel And Registration In Belarus: Not So Simple

http://m.belarusdigest.com/story/visa-free-travel-and-registration-belarus-not-so-simple-28619
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 11:07:59 PM »
Has anyone tried visa free travel to Belarus yet? I've been considering A possible stop in Minsk, should I decide to jump back into FSUW dating.

Visa-Free Travel And Registration In Belarus: Not So Simple

http://m.belarusdigest.com/story/visa-free-travel-and-registration-belarus-not-so-simple-28619

The article's author can hardly be relied upon - if his info re UK 'registration' requirements are anything to go by. Completely false info.

I know of someone who used this system to visit BL last month to visit a lady - he will be going again - but next time with an invitation visa.