The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Did I really hear English in a Russian Melodrama?  (Read 3163 times)

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
Did I really hear English in a Russian Melodrama?
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:09:57 PM »
Ok. I like to practice Russian by watching Movies and TV shows. The best source I have found for my tastes has been StarMediaEn channels on YouTube.

While watching the TV series "The Dawns Here Are Quiet," I thought I heard "I [am] sorry about that."

Before my question, I enjoyed the movie first. But, I really liked the TV version a little better. Especially the ending. I cannot comment on every second of either format - I skip a lot.

I listened again a couple of times. Then switched to my Mac, and I think that is what I heard. Unless it was a Russian phrase and I just didn't catch it.

Does anyone else hear "I [am] sorry about that."

at about 40:15 to 40:20.

The assistant squad leader just reported to the squad leader that replacements have arrived.

Let me know if I am hearing things.

Wayne

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Did I really hear English in a Russian Melodrama?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 01:16:23 AM »
English has been becoming more and more prevalent in Russian life. Just as many English words are taken from other languages, Russian is no different. And if you spend more time in Russia, you'll hear English sprinkled in hear and there during a conversation between Russians. Also, if there is no direct translation for an English word, they just use the English word.

I haven't taken a look at the video, but wouldn't be surprised at all if English is what you heard. I'm guessing you know the easy translation of "I'm sorry about that" in Russia, so I'll spare the translation for you.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:59:17 AM »
Wayne,

Here's just a simple example of what I was taking about in another thread about using Facebook to help you with the language. 4 women (1 my friend) talking about children from a post on my FB account. Copy and paste to Google and you get an idea of how the language works from natives. What I do (and did while learning the basics) is start working with phrases I can/could handle easily with my g/f to see what works and when/how she corrects me.

And because Goggle will mostly do a direct translation, you can start to understand Russian structure better by reversing the directly translated English to a Russian structure and see the mentality behind the phrase and how they decribe things differently to English speakers.

e.g. мы с ним/we with him (just an example, not from the conversation) is actually 2 people in Russian, where in English would connote 3 (if you get my drift).

Анастасия Сергеева Быстро растут дети! Но дети они всегда дети :) С днём рождения, мать!!!
Like · Reply · 1 · 26 mins
Yuliya St С Днем Рождения вас всех!!! Замечательна детки! Пусть продолжают радовать вас своими успехами и победами! Здоровья и радости им :-)
Like · Reply · 1 · 22 mins
Ева Шелест
Ева Шелест Так они у тебя двойняшки! Никогда бы не подумала, совсем разные :) Поздравляю, мамочка, растите большими и не ссорьтесь :)
Like · Reply · 1 · 19 mins
View previous replies
Nadezda  Babkina
Nadezda Babkina Она надтним глумится все время на эту тему)))
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:29:23 AM »
Wayne,

Here's just a simple example of what I was taking about in another thread about using Facebook to help you with the language. 4 women (1 my friend) talking about children from a post on my FB account. Copy and paste to Google and you get an idea of how the language works from natives. What I do (and did while learning the basics) is start working with phrases I can/could handle easily with my g/f to see what works and when/how she corrects me.

And because Goggle will mostly do a direct ranslation, you can start to understand Russian structure better by reversing the directly translated English to a Russian structure and see the mentality behind the phrase and how they decribe things differently to English speakers.

e.g. мы с ним/we with him (just an example, not from the conversation) is actually 2 people in Russian, where in English would connote 3 (if you get my drift).

Анастасия Сергеева Быстро растут дети! Но дети они всегда дети :) С днём рождения, мать!!!
Yuliya St С Днем Рождения вас всех!!! Замечательна детки! Пусть продолжают радовать вас своими успехами и победами! Здоровья и радости им :-)
Ева Шелест
Ева Шелест Так они у тебя двойняшки! Никогда бы не подумала, совсем разные :) Поздравляю, мамочка, растите большими и не ссорьтесь :)
View previous replies
Nadezda  Babkina

Mine used to say 'We are meeting Olga in town' when she meant 'I am meeting Olga in town'.....

I used to say 'I'm not coming' and she'd say 'I know!'
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »
English has been becoming more and more prevalent in Russian life. Just as many English words are taken from other languages, Russian is no different. And if you spend more time in Russia, you'll hear English sprinkled in hear and there during a conversation between Russians. Also, if there is no direct translation for an English word, they just use the English word.

I haven't taken a look at the video, but wouldn't be surprised at all if English is what you heard. I'm guessing you know the easy translation of "I'm sorry about that" in Russia, so I'll spare the translation for you.

This was background noise. In a WW2 movie. And it sounded like one of the people watching or producing the movie said it. It was not part of the script.

There are a couple ways to say I am sorry, usually I take the rougher way of saying, "Izvenitzhe."

Thanks - it is a great movie to watch with your g/f.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
Wayne,

And because Goggle will mostly do a direct ranslation, you can start to understand Russian structure better by reversing the directly translated English to a Russian structure and see the mentality behind the phrase and how they decribe things differently to English speakers.

Ева Шелест
View previous replies
Nadezda  Babkina

Mine used to say 'We are meeting Olga in town' when she meant 'I am meeting Olga in town'.....

I used to say 'I'm not coming' and she'd say 'I know!'

Whew!

Now you are making my head spin. 

I get some of it, and then I read Ste and think, "WAIT!!! Is this Russian or English?"

Thanks

Wayne

Registration