The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Non-Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 4714 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
The Non-Invasion of Ukraine
« on: January 08, 2017, 10:03:15 AM »
Mod note: Topic here is split off from >>here<<.

You got Russia invading looking to take over that country

Erm, no you haven't or they would have done so long before now.  :coffeeread:

You keep posting this and making sure I don't remind you that the GRU troops that arrived in Crimea and E.Ukraine needed to forcibly take control of UA govt and military institutions, radio / TV masts and that's not an 'invasions' ?

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: The Non-Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:44:45 PM »

You got Russia invading looking to take over that country

Erm, no you haven't or they would have done so long before now.  :coffeeread:

You keep posting this and making sure I don't remind you that the GRU troops that arrived in Crimea and E.Ukraine needed to forcibly take control of UA govt and military institutions, radio / TV masts and that's not an 'invasions' ?

East Ukraine [with the support of the people] is now independent because they didn't want to be ruled by a US installed junta - no Russian support ever proved. Crimea [hardly a shot fired and with the support of the people] was a reaction to a specific provocation, and in fact, more like correcting history. Crimea CHOSE to join Russia. There was no "invasion" or Russia would have taken Kiev. These are well-known facts [except it seems to our Canadian member]. As you well know. Don't clog the topic with your silliness and trolling, Moby.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 02:22:39 PM »
^Clearly no full scale invasion because if so Russia probably could have taken Kiev within a week.  However it also seems clear that there has been material support and considering E. Ukraine's close historical relationship w/ Russia via language, culture and history this seems rather natural.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »
Would it not be better to move comments #10 onwards to a different thread so not another trip report is derailed ?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »

East Ukraine [with the support of the people] is now independent because they didn't want to be ruled by a US installed junta

Yanu' was corrupt and was removed by Ukrainian people - and disavowed by his own political party ..The 'antimaidan' mantra of juntas and nazis has long died down ..you might still need to post this guff for your sponsors - but GRU troops kicked off insurrection in a nation the Kremlin vowed to protect when it gave up it's Nukes

- no Russian support ever proved.

Repeating a fib won't make it any less of a lie - the normal final excuse being - well, OK they were Russians but acting of their own volition ... yeah right !

Crimea-hardly a shot fired and with the support of the people- With the support of the people

- who were being told ;they were at risk from Kiev' ... with 25k Russian service personnel on the island?! - We weren't ever going to hear much about non-support - once western media had been removed .. and Belarus - like 96 percent results were announced

Having been to Crimea - I know most folks felt a stronger tie to Russia - but the Kremlin agreed it was part of Ukraine and then stirred up folks who had been - mostly - quite happy to have been an autonomous Republic.

was a reaction to a specific provocation, and in fact, more like correcting history. Crimea CHOSE to join Russia. There was no "invasion" or Russia would have taken Kiev.

The Kremlin might have succeeded - but it only bit off chunks it knows it can get away with... the further west it might try to push - it knows it will not have enough support. It might not be able to control insurrection - as it has in the parts of E.Ukraine the 'rebels' kept - thanks to the support of the regular Russian army intervention in August '14.

What we have is another Kremlin tactic - 'frozen conflicts'  - as in Georgia ..Abkhazia isn't really independent - just like the occupied Donbas regions of UA - it uses the Rouble and it funded by Moscow

These are well-known facts [except it seems to our Canadian member]. As you well know. Don't clog the topic with your silliness and trolling, Moby.

'Facts' ?  'Well-known' ?   I well know them to be a shadow of the truth..    I've been to most of these places and know how they are / were before ...  People have and are still dying because the Kremlin decided to 'right' these wrongs' of history' ..  There are better ways to solve these problems than using military might - but that wouldn't help deflect folks back home from worrying about the economy ... What better way to deflect from those issues than by winning wars - wars you don't admit to - outcomes that enjoy popular support ?

Naturally, I'll attempt to correct your bollox - you need to ensure such posts don't see the light of day - try to suggest sort sort of craziness on my part or that I'm a paid 'troll' ... 

I REALLY don't like that many Ukrainian people now hate Russians or at least the Russian govt and Russians genuinely can't understand why .... 

Since '91 Kiev has set about creating a national identity that Russians mock - just like they do with the Baltic States.... things like, 'they are not a nation' ?..  The away games of the Kremlin have split families and you try to suggest I'm a 'troll' for pointing out that the Kremlin ruthlessly oppressed insurrection and forbids promotion of cessation from the RF - but actively promotes it in it's neighbours ?!

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »
Yanu' was corrupt and was removed by Ukrainian people -

Who just happened to have a handy stock of EU flags nearby, yes?

No Moby. It was a coup funded by the US, the EU and Soros.

for your sponsors -

Sponsors? Nice try. We are advertiser and member funded. Why not join them? >>Donate Here<<

Having been to Crimea - I know most folks felt a stronger tie to Russia -

Which explains the vote to join Russia.

The rest of your post is tosh and not worth responding to.  :coffeeread:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online AvHdB

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 08:44:15 PM »

There is no evidence to support the claim of an American/European orchestrated coup.

EU flags are readily available and have been since the European Foot Ball Championship.

I noted a protest in the summer outside the Rada where there were hundreds of EU flags and those of Ukraine.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:52:22 PM »

There is no evidence to support the claim of an American/European orchestrated coup.

EU flags are readily available and have been since the European Foot Ball Championship.

I noted a protest in the summer outside the Rada where there were hundreds of EU flags and those of Ukraine.

How many Billions has the IMF loaned Ukraine? You really expect us to believe those loans do not have strings?

Is Soros or is he not on record as saying the West needs to help Ukraine? How much has Soros loaned Ukraine?

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 09:53:30 PM »
The 'Americans' (*) spent $50 Million US over 20 years on the 'democratization' of Ukraine.

State Dept spent $180M in one year on the Muslim Brotherhood to oust the Egyptian Government.

YES, Putin yelled loudly and RT fanned the 'news' that America had overthrown Ukraine, but the LGM were NOT American Spetznaz. And the LGM were in the Donbas.

Wayne
(*) In this case, this is State Dept through USAID spending. It is always difficult to nail down the overall spending, because there are 2 Democrat controlled NGO's (most funding is from US Federal Budget) and there are 2 Republican controlled NGO's. There is also Soros and a couple of other rich Liberals going around the world funding democracy movements, nation building, regime change, or whatever the next PC term will be for slaughter.

But, no. I do not believe the US invested enough to actively change the outcome in Ukraine, unlike what Democrats tried to do in Israel, Belarus, Egypt, Libya, Syria, or Russia. Notice, they are only ab out 50% successful.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 09:57:54 PM »
You will continue to see the word loan in relation to Ukraine.

You won't see that about monies given to Syrian terrorists, or those in Egypt, or Libya.

IF the West cared 2 cents about Ukraine, they would have funded Ukraine $4 Billion per month from the start. No strings attached.

AND THEY WOULD HAVE BUILD THE SAFE ZONES I RECOMMENDED in Syria and Libya.

And Joint Operations Bases in Romania/Ukraine, Hungary/Ukraine, and Poland/Ukraine. Leave most of the hardware on the 'NATO' side of the borders. Train up the Ukrainians on the equipment - I have greatly upped my recommendation on the EQ. Release ALL the equipment on loan if Russia began full-scale ops.

Wayne

Online AvHdB

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 10:05:41 PM »
While many will complain about Putin. He has one quality and that is he is smarter than leaders or soon to be former 'leaders' in the West.

He clearly does not wish to start World War 3 by fully invading Ukraine. The Budapest Security Agreement would be invoked. 

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 10:07:31 PM »
The 'Americans' (*) spent $50 Million US over 20 years on the 'democratization' of Ukraine.

State Dept spent $180M in one year on the Muslim Brotherhood to oust the Egyptian Government.

YES, Putin yelled loudly and RT fanned the 'news' that America had overthrown Ukraine, but the LGM were NOT American Spetznaz. And the LGM were in the Donbas.

Wayne
(*) In this case, this is State Dept through USAID spending. It is always difficult to nail down the overall spending, because there are 2 Democrat controlled NGO's (most funding is from US Federal Budget) and there are 2 Republican controlled NGO's. There is also Soros and a couple of other rich Liberals going around the world funding democracy movements, nation building, regime change, or whatever the next PC term will be for slaughter.

But, no. I do not believe the US invested enough to actively change the outcome in Ukraine, unlike what Democrats tried to do in Israel, Belarus, Egypt, Libya, Syria, or Russia. Notice, they are only ab out 50% successful.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2015/02/05/new-policy-rescue-ukraine/

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 10:13:19 PM »
While many will complain about Putin. He has one quality and that is he is smarter than leaders or soon to be former 'leaders' in the West.

He clearly does not wish to start World War 3 by fully invading Ukraine. The Budapest Security Agreement would be invoked.

:ROFL:          :ROFL:           :ROFL:   

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »

You won't see that about monies given to Syrian terrorists, or those in Egypt, or Libya.

IF the West cared 2 cents about Ukraine, they would have funded Ukraine $4 Billion per month from the start. No strings attached.

And Joint Operations Bases in Romania/Ukraine, Hungary/Ukraine, and Poland/Ukraine. Leave most of the hardware on the 'NATO' side of the borders. Train up the Ukrainians on the equipment - I have greatly upped my recommendation on the EQ. Release ALL the equipment on loan if Russia began full-scale ops.

Wayne

YOU are a warmonger 1st class.

What right did the US have to go into Syria, Libya, or any of the other countries that they invaded??
As far as Ukraine is concerned, I believe very strongly that the US and the EU caused the current problems.
The US has many secret service/Intelligence/Special ops personnel in Ukraine at this time, they are based on 2 floors of the Ukrainian secret services building in Kiev...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 11:12:25 PM »

You mean like the folks in Crimea having Ru ones - mean something, too ?

Only an idiot would deny that both the west and Moscow had invested in Kiev's future...I can't think of the adjective to describe someone who stubbornly believes that the crowds demonstrating their support - when Yanu' fled were renta-crowd :)

Oooops..  I forgot I know ethnic Russian folk - living in Kiev 30 + years - who were overjoyed...  One of 'ems a journo and t'other works in leisure...both lived in families serving in the red army at officer level... not passionate about Ukrainian independence ..until they felt that Moscow was interfering, too much ..not stupid people ..and the suggestion that they were motivated by money ... DAFT..

It is incredibly sad that such people have now become so anti-Russian.

Quote from: Manny
for your sponsors -

Sponsors? Nice try. We are advertiser and member funded. Why not join them? >>Donate Here<<

Why deny it .. you come across as  doubting Thomas... ?  There's nothing wrong in believing passionately about a cause...

Having been to Crimea - I know most folks felt a stronger tie to Russia -

Which explains the vote to join Russia.

Having taken military control and control of the media. first ?  I have no doubt the majority of Crimeans voted to re-join Russia

.In the same way you suggest the Ukrainian people were 'motivated', I suggest - as did the the Indian rep of the UN Human Rights - that the polarising content of RU media was likely to result in conflict and loss of life

The nations of the UN voted on Ukraine and you know the results .. the Kremlin only avoided censure at the Sec Council - because of their own veto and Ukraine's resolution was carried 100:11

So, when you tell us - 'how it is' - I'll remind you of how it REALLY is .. 

The issue is how the referenda in Crimea and E.Ukraine came about came about - the military intervention that preceded..

The rest of your post is tosh and not worth responding to.  :coffeeread:

Indeed, pointing out that it is illegal to promote cessation from the RF in the media - but how the Kremlin has to varying degrees promoted and even got physically involved in such activity in Ukraine and disputed parts of Georgia and Chechnya  is something you'd I'm sure you wish to avoid.

Why the need for such laws ... ? Our own Kingdom has had referenda as to whether constituent states wish to remain ..N.Ireland and Scotland..  A nation that is comfortable in it's own skin doesn't NEED such laws..right ?

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 12:11:01 AM »
I can't think of the adjective to describe someone who stubbornly believes that the crowds demonstrating their support - when Yanu' fled were renta-crowd :)

I never said rent-a-crowd.

Oooops..  I forgot I know ethnic Russian folk - living in Kiev 30 + years - who were overjoyed...  One of 'ems a journo and t'other works in leisure...both lived in families serving in the red army at officer level... not passionate about Ukrainian independence ..until they felt that Moscow was interfering, too much ..not stupid people ..and the suggestion that they were motivated by money ... DAFT..

Again, not what I said.

Nice touch. Twice in 2 days you have used that line. Must have replaced Chechnya*

Having taken military control and control of the media. first ? 

Protecting key assets against terrorism you mean.

I have no doubt the majority of Crimeans voted to re-join Russia

So the "invasion" of Crimea; even if true is an irrelevance now.

.In the same way you suggest the Ukrainian people were 'motivated', I suggest - as did the the Indian rep of the UN Human Rights - that the polarising content of RU media was likely to result in conflict and loss of life

The Ukrainian people were lied to.

The issue is how the referenda in Crimea and E.Ukraine came about came about - the military intervention [peace keeping] that preceded..

Done deal.

disputed parts of Georgia and Chechnya  is something you'd I'm sure you wish to avoid.

* There's your money word.  :rouble-smile: :rouble-smile: :rouble-smile:

Our own Kingdom has had referenda as to whether constituent states wish to remain ..N.Ireland and Scotland..  A nation that is comfortable in it's own skin doesn't NEED such laws..right ?

Like the EU vote, that some people dont like to accept.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 12:11:38 AM »

No evidence hahahahahaha

What do you call the 2 leaders of eu dancing on maidan then?
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 12:34:22 AM »

I never said rent-a-crowd.

No matter how much money one might throw at trying to remove a govt. - it won't happen without the people's will or military force

Again, not what I said.

So, why the need top belittle a popular movement - by implying it only happened because of money?

Nice touch. Twice in 2 days you have used that line. Must have replaced Chechnya*

Condescending responses to fact ?

Having taken military control and control of the media. first ? 

Protecting key assets against terrorism you mean.

Now you've lost it ... Since when were Ukrainians 'terrorists' on their sovereign territory ?

I have no doubt the majority of Crimeans voted to re-join Russia

So the "invasion" of Crimea; even if true is an irrelevance now.

Hardly - as the need to take military control and remove the Ukrainian infrastructure rendered any result meaningless - hence the UN votes

The Ukrainian people were lied to.

Exactly, hence Yanu' had to flee.

The issue is how the referenda in Crimea and E.Ukraine came about came about - the military intervention that preceded..

Done deal.

You mean like the Argentine invasion of the Falklands or Nazi annexations of eth, German speaking regions or nations ?  The preceding use of military force for a third nation in that of a sovereign territory renders any subsequent election void ... ( UN vote?s)

disputed parts of Georgia and Chechnya  is something you'd I'm sure you wish to avoid.

* There's your money word.  :rouble-smile: :rouble-smile: :rouble-smile:

1/ I receive no payment for posting MY opinions - nor any benefit in kind ...

2/ That you should suggest such bollox - at all - whilst ducking the point speaks volumes.

Our own Kingdom has had referenda as to whether constituent states wish to remain ..N.Ireland and Scotland..  A nation that is comfortable in it's own skin doesn't NEED such laws..right ?

I don't like the result - I have to accept it - it was democratic - I have taken all the steps I can to ensure family members do not lose out..  I can certainly point out that we didn't vote on under what terms we'd exist as a non-member

Now, having dealt with your red-herring - back to my point - about laws which ban the promoting of cessation within - but policies that encourage same in neighbouring nations ? I know you don't want to admit my point is valid

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 12:40:13 AM »
In response to AvHaB

No evidence hahahahahaha

What do you call the 2 leaders of eu dancing on maidan then?

Supporting a cause - in the same way Putin appeared on the hustings with Yanu' - holding up his arm - before the elections that were proven fraudulent and brought about the Orange Revolution

Honestly, I'm not happy with foreign nations leaders - from Obama re Brexit, to Ukraine taking part in national elections / protests

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 12:43:34 AM »

??

The Budapest Memorandum has already been breached...  It's more a question of Putin and co. misreading how little of Ukraine was 'happy' to become part of his 'novorossiya' wet dream

Offline el_guero

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 12:49:00 AM »

Wayne

What right did the US have to go into Syria, Libya, or any of the other countries that they invaded??
As far as Ukraine is concerned, I believe very strongly that the US and the EU caused the current problems.
The US has many secret service/Intelligence/Special ops personnel in Ukraine at this time, they are based on 2 floors of the Ukrainian secret services building in Kiev...

YOUR hero got the peace prize ... HE started the wars for you. Putin intervened in Ukraine when he could to force Obama's hand in Syria.

I merely point out the obvious to those who love war and hatred, but love to hate peace.

Thanks for your interesting answer.

Wayne

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 01:03:52 AM »

That would be funny - if it wasn't so sick..

How many Americans / Europeans are / were fighting on behalf of Ukraine ?

IF the UK had have voted to stop the bloodshed by Assad in 2011 - creating a no-fly zone might have saved lives ..Libya... what right did Gaddafi to drive his tanks to the gates of Benghazi to murder people who had had enough of him ?  I applauded the French / American action that stopped the massacre and 'we' should have done more in Misrata

What is wrong is that nations don't pressurise dictators in nations that have something 'we' want / need.

It's hardly like Assad - a dictator - was democratically elected when he invited Russia to help his minority sect regime from collapse

..and I believe both the west and Moscow had their agendas to bring / keep Kiev within their spheres of influence - but only one has physically tried to intervene

I'm even sure you are correct about some US operatives being in Kiev - 'advising' - but Moscow - has had boots on the ground - you might suggest they were all volunteers on leave and I'll smile benignly

Ukraine is now FUBAR and it is Ukrainians that are suffering 

Offline el_guero

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 01:11:26 AM »
While the constant bickering about whom is at fault is entertaining, I wonder if we can agree on facts?

Maidan was a demonstration, not a rebellion.

The LGM were Russian, not American.

The 'West' and 'Russia' have not given much help to Ukraine, even though the Budapest Memorandum requires they protect Ukraine.

People can change countries just by voting? So, all the Muslims in London can vote for Southern England to join ISIS?

All the Muslims in Moscow can vote to JOIN Chechnya?

The USA, England, France, Germany have provoked too many wars in the name of Liberal Democracy. That I agree with, but it does not give any country the right to send little green men into a country to take over.

Or, does it?

IMHO. YMMV.

Wayne

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 01:24:40 AM »

??

The Budapest Memorandum has already been breached...  It's more a question of Putin and co. misreading how little of Ukraine was 'happy' to become part of his 'novorossiya' wet dream

You are confusing Novorossiya with the customs union.

Offline Manny

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 01:29:27 AM »

I don't like the result - I have to accept it - it was democratic -

You should accept Crimea and the two independent regions that were once Ukraine in the same way then. Own goal.

It's hardly like Assad - a dictator - was democratically elected when he invited Russia to help his minority sect regime from collapse

Wrong again. Assad is the legitimate elected president of Syria. It was his right to invite Russia to help him protect that legitimacy in the face of what was again, as with Ukraine, foreign funded interlopers.