The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Does anyone know how I can get transcripts for Russian tv shows and movies?  (Read 3078 times)

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
My Russian has advanced greatly, but it is still terrible.

I stumbled across a site that suggested I use movies with Russian/English subtitles to learn some Russian. I thought, "What a great idea."

And the link took me to click bait.

Has anyone seen any sites out there where I can look for Russian subtitles separate from the shows? Then I can work on a smaller set of vocab for each show.

Thanks

Wayne
PS Kak Ya Stal Russkii is hilarious, even when I only get one word out of 10.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
My Russian has advanced greatly, but it is still terrible.

I stumbled across a site that suggested I use movies with Russian/English subtitles to learn some Russian. I thought, "What a great idea."

And the link took me to click bait.

Has anyone seen any sites out there where I can look for Russian subtitles separate from the shows? Then I can work on a smaller set of vocab for each show.

Thanks

Wayne
PS Kak Ya Stal Russkii is hilarious, even when I only get one word out of 10.
Wayne, while anything can help, nothing, and I mean nothing, will help you improve faster than talking to natives.

My conversations over time have gone from all English to 85% Russian with my g/f, and 50% with people in general. It wasn't until I started talking that my Russian really took off.

I also find listening to movies and TV shows in Russian without subtitles help more than using subtitles, mostly because subtitles tend to distract from listening to what is being said and picking up certain sounds. 

I have also gone from watching all movies, TV shows, and sports exclusively in English to 100% in Russia (this took about 2 years to get completely comfortable with). Unless of course, I really want to see a movie and fully understand it, which happens about 10% of the time.

A few other things that I find very helpful is to handwrite things in Russian working from scratch and then have your wife correct it and explain why it's said a certain way. Very powerful. Addionally, if you have a Facebook account with Russians, follow what and how they phrase things when talking to each other using Google to help translate and pick up things from them this way.

Keep up the good fight. Just a little food for thought from someone who has been there, done that.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline el_guero

Try http://www.opensubtitles.org

Thanks! They have Night Swallows now. Last time I looked they didn't.

BUT, now I cannot download the player .... And the file itself tried to install on computer.

Well, I just need a text file.

Thanks

Wayne

Offline el_guero

Danchik,

I don't think you were married last we chatted.

Congrats!

Wayne

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
Danchik,

Congrats!

Wayne
Thanks, but...

My conversations over time have gone from all English to 85% Russian with my g/f, and 50% with people in general.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline el_guero

Danchik,

Congrats!

Wayne
Thanks, but...

My conversations over time have gone from all English to 85% Russian with my g/f, and 50% with people in general.

Ok. I missed a little on that ...

But, you didn't have a g/f either.

50% in general. I hope I get there sooner than later. I know I will. After doing this for 8 other languages, I know I will make it up this mountain. But, this language is about as hard as 5 others.

Registration