The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Brits are the most scared of Russia  (Read 1419 times)

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
Brits are the most scared of Russia
« on: January 07, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »
 Seems you lot are even more worried about Putin than Americans   :chuckle:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/world-war-iii-is-on-its-way-says-poll-of-western-countries/ar-BBxZtmJ?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartandhp

Some 71 per cent of Britons feel threatened by Russia, compared to 59 per cent of Americans – the lowest of all the countries polled.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Brits are the most scared of Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »
Seems you lot are even more worried about Putin than Americans   :chuckle:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/world-war-iii-is-on-its-way-says-poll-of-western-countries/ar-BBxZtmJ?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartandhp

Some 71 per cent of Britons feel threatened by Russia, compared to 59 per cent of Americans – the lowest of all the countries polled.

If true, which is doubtful, it is our media following the relentless anti-Russian narrative that broadly translates as "Putin is coming!"

Most people still think what the papers and the BBC say is factual..........
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 12:17:59 AM »

If true, which is doubtful, it is our media following the relentless anti-Russian narrative that broadly translates as "Putin is coming!"

'Scared' ... ?  More like mistrust...

When it comes to news that I trust,  I'll take the Beeb over most RU media - ANY day .... and with good cause .... One is controlled / has mates who feed at the trough -  in control and t'other has brought leaders ( Blair ) down through investigative journalism...

On the other side of the coin - Britain has a long history of taking sides with opposition in various forms of Moscow rule..

Most people - in Russia - still think what the main TV channels and media report is factual ....

The truth is that what is NOT reported - on either side - is more telling than what is ....
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 02:06:43 AM »

When it comes to news that I trust,  I'll take the Beeb over most RU media - ANY day .... and with good cause .... One is controlled / has mates who feed at the trough -  in control and t'other has brought leaders ( Blair ) down through investigative journalism...

On the other side of the coin - Britain has a long history of taking sides with opposition in various forms of Moscow rule..

Most people - in Russia - still think what the main TV channels and media report is factual ....

The truth is that what is NOT reported - on either side - is more telling than what is ....

Fool..

Open thine eyes, and thou shalt see the truth through the failings of both sides...

Do you now know most people in Russia??, those who I know do NOT always believe any media..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 02:26:47 AM »

Fool..

Open thine eyes, and thou shalt see the truth through the failings of both sides...

Do you now know most people in Russia??, those who I know do NOT always believe any media..

'Fools' like those who refuse to acknowledge who controlled and who now controls the main Ru media outlets.or choose to 'ignore' my point ...?

To please the pedant in you -I'll gladly rephrase to most ''Russian people I've met'' ...think that their media reporting in UA / Syria, etc., is more representative.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 03:43:34 AM »

Respectfully I have to disagree - yet again - with Moby.

There is no fear or mistrust of Russia within the general population but I have no doubt there are pockets of ridiculousness within certain types of folk. The tide has turned and after the Scottish independence referendum, Brexit and more recently the US presidential elections, there is little credibility left for government or main stream media which includes Moby's beloved BBC (British Brainwashing Corporation).

Social media is such an important tool and it's somewhat reassuring to read the comments attributed to such lies published by the usual suspects. I see daily anti Russian/anti Trump propaganda posted on FB by the BBC/Daily Fail/Guardian etc and its fantastic to see all the top comments and likes essentially calling out the lies for exactly that.   

The media no longer reports the truth and they no longer control the population, therefore any published stat suggesting fear or mistrust towards our Russian friends is only that of an establishment. Sadly a few people like Moby digest it and shit it out for some poor sod to listen to.   

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 04:12:58 AM »

There is no fear or mistrust of Russia within the general population

You must lead a sheltered life, Rosco - I'm constantly reassuring elderly relatives, friends and acquaintances that visiting Russia is not unsafe and that the people are friendly.

The tide has turned and after the Scottish independence referendum, Brexit and more recently the US presidential elections, there is little credibility left for government or main stream media which includes Moby's beloved BBC (British Brainwashing Corporation).

Rosco has also suggested that the SNP's ideas of Brexit meaning another vote on Scots Independence was farcical - but the lady states otherwise on the -clearly - unbiased BBC

1/ Scotland - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38543547  ''Nicola Sturgeon warns PM she is not bluffing on indyref2''

2/ UK PM on Brexit - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38546820 May: UK govt not muddled on Brexit ..

So, there's two examples of Rosco's apparent inattentiveness and therefore any opinion re BBC 'bias' needs to treated, accordingly..

Social media is such an important tool and it's somewhat reassuring to read the comments attributed to such lies published by the usual suspects. I see daily anti Russian/anti Trump propaganda posted on FB by the BBC/Daily Fail/Guardian etc and its fantastic to see all the top comments and likes essentially calling out the lies for exactly that.   

I see daily anti UK ( re Russian policy on Ukraine - for example ) on the likes of RT - where it is suggested 'we' - in the UK are  are brainwashed' ...  it seems our Rosco may have signed up to that daftness.

The [UK media  ?- inserted by Moby]  media no longer reports the truth and they no longer control the population, therefore any published stat suggesting fear or mistrust towards our Russian friends is only that of an establishment. Sadly a few people like Moby digest it and shit it out for some poor sod to listen to.

Sat here, in Russia - listening to the state controlled media - as are ALL the most popular channels, now - I'm wondering if this is the only place Rosco might actually have more nodding heads..   

Ironically, it is the likes of the Daily Mail, Express, Sun - that all waved Union flags - supporting Brexit - that are most fond of posting articles about Russian airforce or naval presence's near UK shores..

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 06:39:43 AM »
Ironically, it is the likes of the Daily Mail, Express, Sun - that all waved Union flags - supporting Brexit - that are most fond of posting articles about Russian airforce or naval presence's near UK shores..

Untrue, They all do it. Including and especially the state-run BBC.

For the passing reader, Moby's comments should be taken in context. The link entitled "пропагандист" in his signature says "Propagandist", and here is a good example of what he does right here in this topic.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 06:59:31 AM »
BBC is neither state run nor state owned.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 07:02:40 AM »

No, but state and EU funded, and EU biased....

If its the truth, then they do not publish/support/show it... :coffeeread:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 07:07:38 AM »

You must lead a sheltered life, Rosco - I'm constantly reassuring elderly relatives, friends and acquaintances that visiting Russia is not unsafe and that the people are friendly.

The tide has turned and after the Scottish independence referendum, Brexit and more recently the US presidential elections, there is little credibility left for government or main stream media which includes Moby's beloved BBC (British Brainwashing Corporation).

Rosco has also suggested that the SNP's ideas of Brexit meaning another vote on Scots Independence was farcical - but the lady states otherwise on the -clearly - unbiased BBC

1/ Scotland - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38543547  ''Nicola Sturgeon warns PM she is not bluffing on indyref2''

2/ UK PM on Brexit - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38546820 May: UK govt not muddled on Brexit ..

So, there's two examples of Rosco's apparent inattentiveness and therefore any opinion re BBC 'bias' needs to treated, accordingly..

I see daily anti UK ( re Russian policy on Ukraine - for example ) on the likes of RT - where it is suggested 'we' - in the UK are  are brainwashed' ...  it seems our Rosco may have signed up to that daftness.

The [UK media  ?- inserted by Moby]  media no longer reports the truth and they no longer control the population, therefore any published stat suggesting fear or mistrust towards our Russian friends is only that of an establishment. Sadly a few people like Moby digest it and shit it out for some poor sod to listen to.

Sat here, in Russia - listening to the state controlled media - as are ALL the most popular channels, now - I'm wondering if this is the only place Rosco might actually have more nodding heads..   

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

In a week at the most, you will see the BBC reporting how the brave UK navy has spotted a Russian battlegroup sailing through the channel and the north sea, and how they are shadowing it to ensure the safety of the UK...

When actually, they will have advised the UK, France, Belgium, Holland, that they are coming through a week before, and they will be in INTERNATIONAL waters..

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 09:14:28 AM »

More tosh which I can't be arsed wasting Sunday time on, to debunk.

It's clear you know nothing about nothing. With regards to Sturgeon, she may have been elected but she doesn't represent the majority of Scots in Indiref2. There's little appetite for that up here and this is coming from a yes voter.

That woman is just pushing her party line which is ultimately independence, and falsely speaking on behalf of every Scot on Brexit, the EU & independence.

But.....this will all fly over your head because your schooled by the BBC and seek arguments where possible.

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 09:18:16 AM »

I dont know many other governments that charge a compulsory tax under threat of prison to watch (or not) the channel they dont own do you?  :whist11:

As you'll know, we have a topic on this: The BBC Debate

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »

For the passing reader, Moby's comments should be taken in context. The link entitled "пропагандист" in his signature says "Propagandist", and here is a good example of what he does right here in this topic.

'My' signature  :ROFL:

What I've done on this topic has been objective..

Example - Tell us about the news coverage on RU TV that Palmyra fell back into 'IS' hands while Russia was helping Assad empty the biggest city in Syria of the vast majority of it's residents ..'terrorists' .. :coffeeread:

I'll remind you that the 'biased BBC' made the peace deal  - brokered by Russia, Turkey and Iran a headline ..  Palmyra falling was NOT a headline on the Beeb ..

As I keep reminding you - I hope we can debate your 'objectivity and tolerance for freedom of speech' on the biased BBC :) 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »

More tosh which I can't be arsed wasting Sunday time on, to debunk.

= you can't ..

It's clear you know nothing about nothing. With regards to Sturgeon, she may have been elected but she doesn't represent the majority of Scots in Indiref2. There's little appetite for that up here and this is coming from a yes voter.

The 'biased' BBC article I linked to makes it clear that if there was a referendum, now - the outcome might be the same .. So it's clear you can't be bother to read or debate .. The SNP want a soft Brexit - continued access to the single market ..and their leader is not satisfied that the UK PM knows what she wants ' Brexit means Brexit' being her mantra.. Yet she still tells UK citizens in the EU she will campaign to maintain their rights :)

That woman is just pushing her party line which is ultimately independence, and falsely speaking on behalf of every Scot on Brexit, the EU & independence.

But.....this will all fly over your head because your schooled by the BBC and seek arguments where possible.

That you couldn't even be bothered to read the BBC article totally demeans the validity of your 'riposte' ...

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »

I dont know many other governments that charge a compulsory tax under threat of prison to watch (or not) the channel they dont own do you?  :whist11:

As you'll know, we have a topic on this: The BBC Debate

Is this your latest tactic to divert from the daftness of your thread ?

There is a long list of nations where a TV or TV / Radio licence is payable and non payment is a criminal offence

I would like to be a fly on the wall in a Court room when you try to use this as a defence for wilful non payment :)

Registration