The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Green Card after K3 visa is granted. Questions.  (Read 2703 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
Green Card after K3 visa is granted. Questions.
« on: January 04, 2017, 02:23:05 AM »
I am sure this question has been answered, but I couldn't seem to find it. Suppose a woman comes to California on a K1 visa, then marries and obtains a K3 visa.

1. Does the K3 visa give her the right to work permanently in the USA?

2. If not, is it easy to obtain a green card if you have a K3 visa? Are there reasons it could be denied?

3. Is there a waiting period after the K3 is granted, or a length of time you must be married before a green card is granted?

4. If a green card is obtained while you are married, and the marriage ends, can the green card be taken away?

5. My understanding is that if the marriage lasts more than 2 years, the woman can obtain/maintain her own green card and renew it on her own behalf. Is this correct?

6. Do the laws and regulations vary state to state?

two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Green Card after K3 visa is granted. Questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 05:00:38 AM »
You are a bit confused. The K1 is issued then Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). ..All K nonimmigrants are required to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence and Adjust Status, after arrival to adjust status as a permanent resident of the United States.

The K3 is for if you are already married.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 05:29:12 AM »
Here's a link that should answer most of your questions.
Just be advised should you be accused of domestic violence, there's another set of rules that will basically ruin your life.
This is why you make sure that you know what you're getting yourself into.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/green-card-through-special-categories-family/k-nonimmigrant
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 03:23:56 PM »
OK thank you. That link is very helpful.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Registration