The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Driving a Russian Registered Car into the EU.  (Read 2724 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Driving a Russian Registered Car into the EU.
« on: January 02, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
THINKING of driving a RUS reg'd car across Europe to France...In the old days would have gone via Crimea to Poland

I certainly want to avoid the 'disputed areas' of Ukraine - but I'm not adverse to doing a Gypo and crossing into UA further north and transiting to Poland

It would  be cheaper to fly, but hey that wouldn't be such fun

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: Driving a Russian Registered Car into the EU.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 12:09:01 AM »
From where in Russia?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 12:37:14 AM »
Two options

A/ Sochi

B/ Moscow

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 06:01:47 AM »
Two options

A/ Sochi

B/ Moscow
I'd definatly choose Moscow, then go west through the baltics and then south. You'll hit Decent tarmac from Moscow due west, and then again german Autobahn is also very comfy driving.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 07:02:34 AM »
Two options

A/ Sochi

B/ Moscow
I'd definatly choose Moscow, then go west through the baltics and then south. You'll hit Decent tarmac from Moscow due west, and then again german Autobahn is also very comfy driving.

Missed this..

Ukraine, one has to pay Ukie insurance and road tax extra, one also has to import/export the car, such a balls ache, have to do this every time I visit by road...

From Sochi to Mos is about 1,600km and 20ish hrs diving at a good clip, road and traffic allowing, could take as much as 24hrs.
From Mos to the EU, I normally go via Belarus, as I find it the best way, but visa's are needed for foreigners.
There can also be problems at customs with RU plated cars..
Also need to buy extra insurance along the way to cover the EU as RU green cards are likely to be not recognised.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 07:34:15 AM »
Two options

A/ Sochi

B/ Moscow

Missed this..

Ukraine, one has to pay Ukie insurance and road tax extra, one also has to import/export the car, such a balls ache, have to do this every time I visit by road...

From Sochi to Mos is about 1,600km and 20ish hrs diving at a good clip, road and traffic allowing, could take as much as 24hrs.
From Mos to the EU, I normally go via Belarus, as I find it the best way, but visa's are needed for foreigners.
Also need to buy extra insurance along the way to cover the EU as RU green cards are likely to be not recognised.
I never did Belarus, because of that visa-thing. Might be a good option too, but without hassle through baltics.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:41:13 AM »
Two options

A/ Sochi

B/ Moscow

Missed this..

I never did Belarus, because of that visa-thing. Might be a good option too, but without hassle through baltics.

Road Mos-Brest is pretty good, and fast...especially once into Belarus..
Just need to watch out for police radars.. :ROFL:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:28:30 AM »
Two options

A/ Sochi

B/ Moscow

Missed this..

Is that for all foreign plates or just RU plates?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »
Glad you guys found this

I think it will be via Moscow and the Baltic States...if SC is not with me..

Too much hassle to buy extra uns. etc re UA BL.

I appreciate the responses.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »
Two options

A/ Sochi

B/ Moscow

Missed this..

Is that for all foreign plates or just RU plates?
I think it is probably only for RU plates in the EU.
Never used to have any such problem with my UK plated vehicle..
Even though RU Insurance companies have signed up to the "Green Card" system, I understand that there are already many cases where the RU Ins co has failed to pay for any damages..
I would also recommend, that, if you wish to take a UK plated veh into RU, that you take additional local insurance, its much easier in case of any sad event.
I was once stopped at the border and told I must take RU Ins as they didn't recognise my UK GC, but that was a few years ago now...
There can be other probs also with regard to ownership and registration..
HTH

Offline Manny

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 10:07:05 AM »
You see many Russian registered cars in Tallinn. I know the border at Narva on the St Pete road always has queues, but you will probably get those anywhere.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 10:22:50 AM »
Glad you guys found this

I think it will be via Moscow and the Baltic States...if SC is not with me..

Too much hassle to buy extra uns. etc re UA BL.

I appreciate the responses.

If I remember correctly, a RU Green Card only covers 3rd party damages..
You may still be required to buy Ins for the EU before entry into the Baltics..
If the registered keeper of the vehicle is not with you, you may run into other problems..
If the vehicle has any credit agreement, you may also need the permission of the credit company to take the veh out of RU..

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 10:24:37 AM »
You see many Russian registered cars in Tallinn. I know the border at Narva on the St Pete road always has queues, but you will probably get those anywhere.

Many Russians go on shopping excursions into the Baltics...

Offline Gipsy

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 01:12:00 AM »
This could be an interesting development...

http://president.gov.by/en/news_en/view/belarus-introduces-five-day-visa-free-regime-for-citizens-of-80-states-15344/

Oho, got all 'excited' - until I saw

1/ Applies to Minsk airport only

2/ NOT if routing via Minsk to / from  Russia... as they are considered domestic flights - so no border controls..