The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Travel and Migration during the Soviet Union  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Travel and Migration during the Soviet Union
« on: December 27, 2016, 03:15:06 AM »
According to a recent article I read, travel abroad and migration were not allowed during Soviet times without permission from the government. 

According to Soviet laws, a refusal to return from a trip abroad was considered treason, punishable by imprisonment or death and confiscation of property. 

Could this extreme closure have created the mob movement in the 1990's after the collapse of the USSR? 

Perhaps it was all just a bubble, fueled by these Soviet laws, that eventually burst. 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Travel and Migration during the Soviet Union
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »
Don't forget that for USAians foreign travel is only allowed with the permission of your government and can be withheld at whim. 

The reasons for the mail order bride phenomenon of a couple of decades ago was not about going on vacation.  :eeekk:
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Travel and Migration during the Soviet Union
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 05:29:08 PM »
According to a recent article I read, travel abroad and migration were not allowed during Soviet times without permission from the government. 

According to Soviet laws, a refusal to return from a trip abroad was considered treason, punishable by imprisonment or death and confiscation of property. 

Could this extreme closure have created the mob movement in the 1990's after the collapse of the USSR? 

Perhaps it was all just a bubble, fueled by these Soviet laws, that eventually burst.

Omega, As I understand history and facts the first two statements are indeed true.

Regarding the 'bubble' that 'created' the MOB 'movement' I think if one studies the contrasts as the Iron Curtain fell and the state of the former Soviet Union was left in. It is not difficult to understand why a portion of the female population fled into the arms of Western men.

Don't forget that for USAians foreign travel is only allowed with the permission of your government and can be withheld at whim. 

Some might be amused to read FiFi's explanation of the part that I qouted in italics. How ever he is the resident USA expert.

The reality is quite simple most American's do not have a Passport and would not recognize one if it was shown to them. For the greater part the American RUA population are not the typical stereotype.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Registration