The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cities in the FSU  (Read 216 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Cities in the FSU
« on: December 22, 2016, 09:43:59 PM »
I wanted to get other member's opinion on which are the most walkable cities in the FSU?  Which cities would you say have the majority of their attractions and sights centrally located.  I think Minsk fits this description.  I would say Moscow has most of the attractions within the ring. 

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Cities in the FSU
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 10:39:38 PM »
I wanted to get other member's opinion on which are the most walkable cities in the FSU?  Which cities would you say have the majority of their attractions and sights centrally located.  I think Minsk fits this description.  I would say Moscow has most of the attractions within the ring.

Moscow is a big city and has radically changed in appearance since the end of communism. But the underground is amazing and it makes it possible to move around. St. Petersburg is more interesting and smaller with a historic core.

Mendy when he was active produced an interesting thread of the cities of the Russian Golden Ring. I have numerous invitations to see Nizhny Novgorod and it does seem interesting an amazing kremlin and some interesting museums.

In Ukraine which I know better, there is both Kiev and Odessa. But Kiev suffers many of the same problems as Moscow. Way to the West in Ukraine is L'viv well worth a visit.

I can not comment on Minsk, never been there.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Cities in the FSU
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 11:06:52 PM »
I was in Lvov last year. Although beautiful it is not quite walkable.  It is quite difficult to navigate because of small cobbled streets that form like a maze. 

Minsk for example has straight wide sidewalks which make walking a nice and easy experience.