The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Hows Crimea doing today  (Read 20094 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Hows Crimea doing today
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 09:45:07 AM »
How's the water situation in Crimea? I read kiev has been reluctant to keep the pumping stations operating. Is there any rationing, or this not a problem?
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »
How's the water situation in Crimea? I read kiev has been reluctant to keep the pumping stations operating. Is there any rationing, or this not a problem?
No problems at all. Crimea is now fully independent of Ukraine, for all basic needs services.

With the black sea close, drinking water is always close by. You only need to de-salt and clean it.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »
Officials say about a queue of those willing to work in Crimea after Trump’s election victory

http://en.sobytiya.info/officials-say-about-a-queue-of-those-willing-to-work-in-crimea-after-trumps-election-victory.html
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2016, 04:48:09 PM »

No problems at all. Crimea is now fully independent of Ukraine, for all basic needs services.

With the black sea close, drinking water is always close by. You only need to de-salt and clean it.

Markje

1/ Cyprus is surrounded by the sea  - but it still needs to import Water from Greece / Turkey - desalination plants cost a bomb to run..
2/ It seems that there are those on the peninsula who might not agree with you..about the water situation ..https://www.Kievpost.com/ukraine-politics/crimea-suffering-lack-water-mainland.html

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 01:39:26 AM »

Markje

1/ Cyprus is surrounded by the sea  - but it still needs to import Water from Greece / Turkey - desalination plants cost a bomb to run..
2/ It seems that there are those on the peninsula who might not agree with you..about the water situation ..https://www.Kievpost.com/ukraine-politics/crimea-suffering-lack-water-mainland.html

Quoting from Kiev's propaganda papers? I'll believe it when my MIL says otherwise.

Sorry, but I consider my MIL living in Crimea more factually up to date than any who do not.

For your information:
Crimea has 19 water-reclamation plants, 14 desalting and 5 sewage-processing plants. This seems more than enough for a Peninsula of this size.

Russia is planning to do some heavy maintenance on 3 (without specifiying) because of their poor state.

Mark.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 01:51:27 AM »

Sorry, but I consider my MIL living in Crimea more factually up to date than any who do not.

Vladimir Vasilievich - the farmer and Vladimir Mironyuk  - Pervomaisk Administration Head of Agriculture - clearly live on the peninsula and would know more about the water supply than your MiL

For your information:
Crimea has 19 water-reclamation plants, 14 desalting and 5 sewage-processing plants. This seems more than enough for a Peninsula of this size.

Russia is planning to do some heavy maintenance on 3 (without specifiying) because of their poor state.

Mark.

Markje,

The numbers aren't relevant - I picked you up on the cost / efficiency of desalination plants - There will [ eventually ] be no issues with water when it is piped from Krasnodar region ..

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2016, 06:38:38 PM »
For your information:

Mark.

Markje,

The numbers aren't relevant - I picked you up on the cost / efficiency of desalination plants - There will [ eventually ] be no issues with water when it is piped from Krasnodar region ..
[/quote]

It should be noted the water of the Black Sea, is quite low in salt concentrations. Also offshore a kilometer or so there is little turbidity.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »

Russia to Announce Start of Gas Supplies to Crimea in 2-3 Days - PutinRead more: 

https://sputniknews.com/russia/201612231048923038-russia-crimea-gas-putin/

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 07:57:58 AM »
It seems the water shortages effect agriculture most, but eventually could become a bigger issue.

Dam leaves Crimea population in chronic water shortage

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2016/12/dam-leaves-crimea-population-chronic-water-shortage-161229092648659.html

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »
[Property should be put back to their rightful owners.

'Quiet' ;)

Back in 2007 Russia only agreed to send some of 'it's' collection of French impressionist collection to London, if the UK promised not to seize the works being claimed by the descendants of families who had them 'confiscated' by the Bolsheviks ..

Not sure how the conversation devolved to the theft of artifacts.  BUT.

Maybe Russia could show some good will and buy the artifacts back from Ukraine. I think giving Crimea back to the Ukrainians might get at least half of the collection back.

Don't you?

Wayne

Online AvHdB

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 05:44:56 AM »
[Property should be put back to their rightful owners.

'Quiet' ;)

Back in 2007 Russia only agreed to send some of 'it's' collection of French impressionist collection to London, if the UK promised not to seize the works being claimed by the descendants of families who had them 'confiscated' by the Bolsheviks ..

Not sure how the conversation devolved to the theft of artifacts.  BUT.

Maybe Russia could show some good will and buy the artifacts back from Ukraine. I think giving Crimea back to the Ukrainians might get at least half of the collection back.

Don't you?

Wayne

Yes in the real world your proposal makes sense. Unfortunately the art world is not the real world.

I suspect this will play out a while longer in the courts as various players and parties make claims. A. Pierson can only sit on the side lines and store the collection.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »
The families from Imperial Russian times are STILL trying to get their art back from the Russian Federation - who seem quite happy to keep/ claim what was confiscated by the Bolsheviks ..

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 11:12:10 PM »
So, true. And then the other problem is the FSU.

It will always be Slavic. And westerners always say they are corrupt.

Oh well.

Wayne

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »
This could be a deal breaker, if true.

US President Donald Trump has reportedly told Moscow he expects Russia to return the Crimean peninsula to Ukraine, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer told reporters Tuesday.Addressing the resignation of Trump's national security adviser Michael Flynn following reports that he talked about American sanctions against Russia with the country's ambassador before Trump was sworn in, Spicer said that Russia had “seized" Crimea from Ukraine under the Administration of former President Barack Obama, and that the Trump Administration's Ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, has already "strongly denounced the Russian occupation” of Crimea.Spicer told reporters that President Trump has made it clear to Russia that he expects it to “de-escalate the situation” with Ukraine, and to "return Crimea" to Ukranian sovereignty

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/225001

Online AvHdB

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 01:41:33 PM »

US President Donald Trump has reportedly told Moscow he expects Russia to return the Crimean peninsula to Ukraine, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer told reporters Tuesday.Addressing the resignation of Trump's national security adviser Michael Flynn following reports that he talked about American sanctions against Russia with the country's ambassador before Trump was sworn in, Spicer said that Russia had “seized" Crimea from Ukraine under the Administration of former President Barack Obama, and that the Trump Administration's Ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, has already "strongly denounced the Russian occupation” of Crimea.Spicer told reporters that President Trump has made it clear to Russia that he expects it to “de-escalate the situation” with Ukraine, and to "return Crimea" to Ukranian sovereignty

If the above is true, it is sad/bad news.

My guess Trump is giving a point to discuss/bargain from; there will be some give and take and Ukraine will become a footnote in a years times.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »
Trump's sole purpose is to amuse us on this side of the pond with his latest fook-up every morning when we wake up.

Been a bit quiet though lately now he's stopped issuing his enabling-act type EO's....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »

standard opening negotiating strategy. Flynn was probably too pro Russian and the hawks didn't like him. I liked him but what is done is done. Trump knows the hawks hate him and plenty of those both sides of the aisle.

He needs to stay alive and move forward.  :coffeeread:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »
Trump's sole purpose is to amuse us on this side of the pond with his latest fook-up every morning when we wake up.

We feel the same about the likes of you often enough. https://twitter.com/zlando/status/810398617446051840

Trump will be issuing more EO's and when Gorsuch is in the supreme court they will stick.

Offline Boris

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 04:01:02 PM »

We feel the same about the likes of you often enough. https://twitter.com/zlando/status/810398617446051840

Trump will be issuing more EO's and when Gorsuch is in the supreme court they will stick.

My personal favorite:

https://twitter.com/zlando/status/797487803823177728

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »
Wonder if Trumps just buying some time, and why now he has taken a more hardline position with Russia?

‘Our land’: Russia tells US that Crimea won’t be ‘given back’ to Ukraine

https://www.rt.com/news/377387-russia-crimea-ukraine-trump/

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2017, 07:04:55 PM »
What Good Governance Does: Crimea's Budget Revenues Double Since Leaving Ukraine

https://sputniknews.com/russia/201702221050951039-crimea-budget-revenues-double/

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 11:06:11 PM »
Wonder if Trumps just buying some time, and why now he has taken a more hardline position with Russia?

Trump is a survivor. He can read the tea leaves. He let go Flynn not only for the obvious reason. The new guy McMaster has CNN swooning. What does that tell you?

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Hows Crimea doing today
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 04:17:15 AM »

Trump is a survivor. He can read the tea leaves. He let go Flynn not only for the obvious reason. The new guy McMaster has CNN swooning. What does that tell you?

That the establishment has won and will never be defeated? I hope that's not the case ( I'm assuming you're using the word 'swooning' in the positive sense?).

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2017, 06:13:14 AM »
What Good Governance Does: Crimea's Budget Revenues Double Since Leaving Ukraine

https://sputniknews.com/russia/201702221050951039-crimea-budget-revenues-double/

But who is benefiting ?

Crimea's annexation: two years on
the injection of Russian money remains unevenly allocated, with those working in the public sector and the military being the main beneficiaries of increased opportunities and salaries.

[ur]http://country.eiu.com/article.aspx?articleid=694194053[/url]

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2017, 08:52:28 AM »

That the establishment has won and will never be defeated? I hope that's not the case ( I'm assuming you're using the word 'swooning' in the positive sense?).

Flynn came out and revealed that Obama and Hillary with the help of the Saudi's created ISIS in an effort to wreck havoc in Syria and they hoped to overthrow Assad. So he was taken down, by the establishment. CNN had hated Flynn but suddenly they like McMaster? What does that tell you?

Yes I think Trump felt in order to survive he had to go with an establishment guy. Remains to be seen if McMaster will do Trumps bidding and work towards peace or if he will do the bidding of the warmongers.