The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Hows Crimea doing today  (Read 20101 times)

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Hows Crimea doing today
« Reply #175 on: October 17, 2018, 03:54:18 PM »
Dutch news reclassified it as a school shooting not terror attack.

Shrapnel filled bomb, not a shooting.
That was the start. After it became a school shooting. The perp was also a student there.

Does Crimea have any sort of gun control?

Tragic to hear of this.

Yes they do. The shooter had a hunting permit. Acquired only weeks before. Looks like some points were missed in his psych eval

As I understand the bomb maker/shooter was 19 years old and a 'former' student. My condolencs go out to the parents who lost there children and a fast healing for those injured.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2018, 04:54:03 AM »

Markje - when on the subject of Crimea -  reminds me of bigoted little 'ol lades from N.Ireland who would tell their 'audience' that, "I can always tell if I'm in the company of a R.Catholic - 'cause their eyes are too close together "  then coo over photos of my ( then ) R.Catholic wife - who was 'pronounced' a 'fine beauty ' ..

One has to decide if they're just plain stupid or spouting pure bollox deliberately ... 
I'm so sorry, I just can' stop laughing at this comparison.

It seems like the only reply to this is an old dutch saying: "Wat je zegt ben je zelf!" (what you say is what you are!)

I've encountered FAR too many people on the island of Ireland who tried - and as a kid - succeeded in indoctrinating me with such ignorant bollox to accept it, now 
Except on the topic of Crimea, you aren't as well-educated as Ireland. The people there are in bliss, they have been for the 4 years that Crimea is now Russian.

FACT:  Crimea is made up of planted ethnic Russians in the same way my people were planted in the north of Ireland ....  Suggesting Tartars  - the displaced indigenous folks are 'cool' with the 'new' Crimea is being disingenuous
Crimea is made up of Russians basicly because they have been Russian for decades. Right or wrong, the people there belong there now.
Tatars in fact, are also not indigenous there. History is a bitch isn't it. So I limit myself to the last 500 years to decide whats right and who belongs there.

FACT: Russians have been the majority in Crimea for at least 500 years.
FACT: Russians have been around since the 800's on Crimea.
FACT: TATARS invaded and conquered crimea FROM the Russians in 1400 (There goes your russian plant theory)

FACT: Crimea is doing very well since the take over
FACT: Crimea now has 3 official languages , whereas Crimean Tatars before were stuck with Native Ukrainian.
FACT: Crimea is being invested in heavily, Roads, Railways, Airports, boat-ports,, water, electricity, internet, Hotels, Tourism, You name it its being invested in.

So to read all above facts one can only conclude:
Yes, the Tatars are very 'cool' with the new Crimea. Suggesting otherwise by example of  ethnic Russians is just plain dumb. I don't now if you tried to come across dumb or if you really are blindsided because of your Ireland experience, but Crimea is a whole other ballpark than your ex-island. the IRA for instance, as far as I know never invested in Ireland heavily. Nor did they try to convince by making the lives better of the people you want to persuade. Russia does the latter quite heavily in Crimea.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2018, 05:10:24 AM »

I didn't claim this. Please quote me directly and correctly. Other than that... politicians lie? Wow who would've thought.

YOU quoted it from a trusted source on Crimea ....   on this very board...  Was this an example of 'news from Crimea' we should 'trust' ? 
Let me revisit my own quote, because you are clearly a lazy son of a bitch:
Markje: My family saw on the Crimean News ........ (blablablabla).

So how does this invalidate in any way the news, other than politicians lie. Or better yet, they didn' lie they were just overly optimistic and 5 months later than planned it was still happening. Large infrastructural processes have deadlines that are even not met in Netherlands, Germany and England (that I know of! there are more!)

In connection with Graham P and finding those who preferred things under Ukraine ..

Even my wife prefers that but that doesn't mean what you portray it to mean. That situation is history and never coming back. Yanukovich is gone. Poroshenko is now in charge of ukraine.

Even Mr P wasn't attempting to put words in the mouths of those brave enough to state their opposing viewpoint
You quote a chop-job so badly I can' be arsed to go back and read what this originally all was. Please try again.

Concerning the UN votes

They should be better informed then. I was there.

They were around to see the utter twaddle and scare-mongering from Moscow about 'Nazi's', 'fascists' and 'juntas....   Until you can explain to me how Moscow could sack the their man in Crimea ( Consulate General) - having proclaimed in 2011 - that "Separatists seeking to return Crimea and parts of Ukraine to Russia are criminals " - I'll simply wonder at how easy it was to turn folks heads with bollox propaganda ...  you seem to be a case in point ?
Apparently, you can' recognise Propaganda when its Europe/USA sending it. Please try again.
How was March-2014 - June-2014 anything other than an unelected junta coup which destroyed Ukrainian democracy.
- The law of Ukraine which is quite explicit was not followed. You can't just ignore the law because it inconveniences you.
- The western governments were apparently o.k. with this and that scares me more than the events in Ukraine at that time.

How did Nazi's get in the news in the March-2014 -> june 2014 timeline.
- By using Nazi propaganda
- By using Nazi salutes
- By worshipping Bandera & Hitler
- By using Nazi symbols and folklore

Gee, if it walks like a duck, if it talks like a duck, if it looks like a duck, perhaps it is a duck.
The fact that Europe ignored all this and even tried to hide it from mass-media did not stop people noticing
In Netherlands we (as in people in my work and private life) all questioned how our government would act on these clear acts of the third reich trying to resurrect itself.

When they stop asking ukraine for access. The ball is not in russias court .

As Crimea is de jure part of Ukraine - except to VERY few countries and the nation taking it by force  - given the use of RU troops on the peninsula - you'll forgive the guffaw ..
Try visiting Crimea without a Russian visa then.
Crimea is Russian, always was, always has been. It was a clerical error that put it in Ukraines borders in 1991.
If you had visited multiple russian and ukrainian cities around 2010-2014 (as i have) you would know that without question.

IF I'm the one speaking bollox about the abuse of human rights of the minorities and those not accepting the 'referendum'  - it would be EASY to prove my 'ignorance' .... 
How would it be easy to prove that events DIDNT happen. Its hard to prove absence of something. no, not easy at all in fact.
The only thing I can say to that is: There was not a single shot fired, not even a wounded soldier, nothing (and please don' dredge up that old thread about that Ukrainian solder that died in a private dispute with his former soldier-friend, i can easilly rebutt that from my bookmarks, go on, they'e still waiting.)

Most Russians I know have proudly uttered the words "Crimea is ours"...    I'm not oblivious to the fact that the military take-over was popular with most Crimeans - given they believed the bollox about Kiev...

What I cannot abide is folks I regard as sensible ignoring the clear oppression of the minority residents
If there was an oppressed minority, the Russians could not have done the things they did in Crimea. There would be sabotage by force, delaying tactics, silent resistance, all sorts of nastiness. Nothing is happening there.

People want to be free and will be free. Therefore Crimea is now happy.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Guile

« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2018, 05:23:07 AM »
Markje, you are dealing with Moby the habitual liar and truth stretcher.

He loves conflict and to argue and turn every little detail into a fight.  Forget about that fool.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2018, 05:41:46 AM »
Markje, you are dealing with Moby the habitual liar and truth stretcher.

He loves conflict and to argue and turn every little detail into a fight.  Forget about that fool.
If you don' counter the bullshit, people might misstake it for the truth.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Guile

« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2018, 05:53:46 AM »

If you don' counter the bullshit, people might misstake it for the truth.

True, but all the regular members on this forum know that Moby is a weirdo and constantly lies.  It's obvious just by what he posts.  He lied that he could speak good Russian, then I found a video where he says "I speak only a little Russian"...and called him out.

But he will never admit that he is wrong.  he is a very flawed and strange weirdo.

Offline SL0413

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2018, 08:53:30 AM »

Except on the topic of Crimea, you aren't as well-educated as Ireland. The people there are in bliss, they have been for the 4 years that Crimea is now Russian.

This is pure propaganda talk.  "The people there are in bliss"?  Really?  Everyone?  Everyday?

Also, realize that Crimea was never a part of "pro-western" Ukrainian control.  Within days after Yanukovych was ousted, Aksyonov with "unknown special ops forces" took control of the government and shortly thereafter held the referendum to join Russia.  If the people were not in "Bliss" before Russia took control, then it was the fault of Yanukovych's government...a pro-Russian government...

FACT: TATARS invaded and conquered crimea FROM the Russians in 1400 (There goes your russian plant theory)

Sorry, your history is lacking here.

FACT:  Russians have been the majority in Crimea for at least 500 years.

Nope, the Tatars were the majority.  Crimea became a part of Russia in 1783.  Not exactly 500 years. 

FACT:  Russians have been around since the 800's on Crimea.

Nope.  Khazans and the Byzantines were around at that time.  Kievan Rus took control of eastern Crimea in the 1000's.  But the majority were Khazans.

Nope.  The Tatars conquered Crimea from the Timurids, who conquered Crimea from the Mongols.   And the Tatars were descendants of the Mongols who survived the Timurid invasion.

Also, the reason why the people are majority Russians for decades is because of ethnic cleansing by Stalin in 1944, who deported Tatars, Armenians, Bulgarians and Greeks to central Asia.

History is a bitch.  But please state actual history.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »
SL0413 wrote:
“Also, the reason why the people are majority Russians for decades is because of ethnic cleansing by Stalin in 1944, who deported Tatars, Armenians, Bulgarians and Greeks to central Asia.”

I believe that is clearly true, we should all be able to agree on that.

It’s also true that as a consequence of Stalin’s actions the majority in Crimea were ethnic Russians.

But going back before WWII and before the Soviet Union Crimea was part of the Russian Empire.

It doesn’t feel right and likely never will to Ukrainians on mainland Ukraine that Russian special forces showed up and forced a referendum.

I don’t believe it should have been a surprise though, there actually was some western meddling in Ukraine.

It’s over and done now, Moby can wear a pink vagina hat and “resist” for as long as he wants, it won’t change the reality on the ground.  :chuckle:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2018, 11:00:30 AM »
SLO413, sometimes events take place in rapid succession. The events that prompted the people of Sevastopol and Crimea to no longer recognise Kievan authority occurred after the coup in Kiev. Things were not perfect under the legitimate government but the tipping point occurred immediately the coup leaders took power, indeed, as I recall, the first commandment of the new regime was that with was the tipping point.

Another point, not often mentioned, is the set of legal effects when a legitimate government is replaced creating a new state with new relationships, constitution and liabilities. This is worth understanding in the context of the existing status of Crimea and Sevastopol under the post Soviet administration of Ukraine.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2018, 11:26:49 AM »

This is pure propaganda talk.  "The people there are in bliss"?  Really?  Everyone?  Everyday?
I'm willing to bet real money that at least 90% of every ethnic group living there now will answer "Yes or NO: Are you happy with events in Crimea since 2014" with YES. even the Tatars.

The only catch is, no newspapers or media. We will go there together during my yearly visit to Crimea and ask around.

Also, realize that Crimea was never a part of "pro-western" Ukrainian control.  Within days after Yanukovych was ousted, Aksyonov with "unknown special ops forces" took control of the government and shortly thereafter held the referendum to join Russia.  If the people were not in "Bliss" before Russia took control, then it was the fault of Yanukovych's government...a pro-Russian government...
You seem to be making my point, so why mention it again?
Yes they were happy with Yanukovych. When he was outted, the Crimean gov't seperated Crimea from Ukraine and 3 days later a referendum was held to either remain independent until Ukraine became stable or join Russia and not wait for the outcome of Ukraine's trouble. We all know which way the pendulum swung.

(That was one of the biggest street party's I ever saw in my lifetime, even bigger than Queens day in Netherlands)

Sorry, your history is lacking here.
Really now? I checked them just before posting from Wikipedia. Care to try again?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Crimea
Russians were in control from 800 AD until 1400 AD. I call that very much 500 years minimum.

Quote from: Markje
FACT:  Russians have been the majority in Crimea for at least 500 years.

Nope, the Tatars were the majority.  Crimea became a part of Russia in 1783.  Not exactly 500 years. 
Moby likes to quote history since the beginning of time, so that is the context. See above.

FACT:  Russians have been around since the 800's on Crimea.

Nope.  Khazans and the Byzantines were around at that time.  Kievan Rus took control of eastern Crimea in the 1000's.  But the majority were Khazans.
I'll let AvhdB our history expert explain that one once more, in case Wikipedia is not good enough for you.

Nope.  The Tatars conquered Crimea from the Timurids, who conquered Crimea from the Mongols.   And the Tatars were descendants of the Mongols who survived the Timurid invasion.
However you wish to call them before they were called 'Tatar' is up to you. I will not dispute those things since it is silly. Mongols, Timurids or Tatars, they are all the same descendents. Mostly muslim people from middle-eastern origin.

Also, the reason why the people are majority Russians for decades is because of ethnic cleansing by Stalin in 1944, who deported Tatars, Armenians, Bulgarians and Greeks to central Asia.

History is a bitch.  But please state actual history.
Yes, Stalin deported the lot in 1944. If he hadn't the native ukrainian/native russians would have commited genocide on the Tatars.

The rape, murder, theft and other crimes committed during WW-2 made sure of that bad blood.
(PS: You will have to talk to Crimeans still alive from that time and since they're all 80 to 90+ at least they are declining fast)

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »

It doesn’t feel right and likely never will to Ukrainians on mainland Ukraine that Russian special forces showed up and forced a referendum.
That is a matter of perspective, people living in Crimea will say the RU-special forces kept the peace so people could vote honestly and in peace instead of being bluntly told no referendum under the point of a gun .

Btw, from the images in the Media that day, "forced" is really not the right word here  :king:
OO===[][]===OO

Offline SL0413

« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2018, 12:06:31 PM »

Really now? I checked them just before posting from Wikipedia. Care to try again?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Crimea
Russians were in control from 800 AD until 1400 AD. I call that very much 500 years minimum.

Now I know you must be pulling my leg.  Where in wikipedia does it state Russian were in control from 800 AD to 1400 AD?

Offline SL0413

« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
Yes, Stalin deported the lot in 1944. If he hadn't the native ukrainian/native russians would have commited genocide on the Tatars.

The rape, murder, theft and other crimes committed during WW-2 made sure of that bad blood.
(PS: You will have to talk to Crimeans still alive from that time and since they're all 80 to 90+ at least they are declining fast)

Mark.

Interesting revisionist history. 

Stalin initially praised the Tatars, urging them to resist the evil Fascist.  Soviet newspapers recount tales of courage and heroism by Tatar soldiers and resistance fighters.

Brother- Tatars! You are in the occupied territory among the enemy. You see and feel the
horrors of the Fascist occupation. The Germans send your sons to the frontline. They rape your
daughters; they turn you into powerless slaves. They condemned you to starvation and death.

The above also reference the forced conscription into the german army of roughly ten percent of Tatars, which created resentment within the Tatar community against germany. 

And of the Tatars that supported Germany, Russia recognized it was a small group and not the population as a whole, with articles referring to Russian proverbs that no village is without a dog (degenerates):

[The Germans] created the so-called Tatar Committee, but it is clear to everyone that this
committee is the slave of the German–colonizers, it works for Fascists and helps rob and deceive
the Tatar people.

Only after Russian forces regained control of Crimea and had germany in the back leg did the negative articles appear in Soviet papers:

Many Crimean Tatars betrayed their Motherland, deserted from the army and joined the
army of the enemy, participated in the voluntary Nazi divisions, [and] participated in the
barbaric and cruel killings of the Soviet people.

Within a year, the same Soviet papers went from acknowledging that a small percent of Tatars were forcefully conscripted into the german army to "many...joining the army of the enemy", changing the narrative and setting the stage for Stalin to perform his own racial purification.

Mark, by your logic, I guess the Armenians, Bulgarians and Greeks, who were also deported, were rapists and murderers as well, under threat of genocide?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
Markje

WHY do you KEEP posting this utter twaddle about the Crimea Tatars in WW2 ?

The Supreme Soviet apologised for their treatment ...not that they did much else..

The Crimeans nicked the Tatars lands and were none to pleased when some returned

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »

Mark, by your logic, I guess the Armenians, Bulgarians and Greeks, who were also deported, were rapists and murderers as well, under threat of genocide?

I have no idea about Armenians, Bulgarians or Greeks. I can only tell you about stuff I heard.

So either I only spoke to racist bigots who hated Tatars to spew all that crap, or they were actually telling the truth. I obviously believe the latter.

OO===[][]===OO

Offline SL0413

« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2018, 08:35:39 PM »

I have no idea about Armenians, Bulgarians or Greeks. I can only tell you about stuff I heard.

So either I only spoke to racist bigots who hated Tatars to spew all that crap, or they were actually telling the truth. I obviously believe the latter.

Or they were colored by the Soviet propaganda at the time.  Realize that in 1944 the war was still going on.  Stalin took revenge on those he thought betrayed him - the Tartar Committee set up by the Germans, and the estimated 20,000 Tatars that were conscripted into the German army.  Initially the Soviet newspapers absolved these soldiers, blaming the evil Germans for taking the sons of patriotic tartars and turning them against the soviet family. 

Which was mostly the case, except for the Tatar Committee and an estimated 8,000 Tatars who voluntarily helped the Germans, like the vichy French.  The remaining 200,000 Tatars were brutalized by the Germans, who killed about 50,000 Tartars during their campaign of repression.

But as the Red Army started gaining control, the Soviet articles starting forming the narrative under the direction of Levrentii Beria that all Tatars were traitors. 

The Russian army defeated the last remnants of the Wehrmacht on 12 May 1944.  Even though most Soviet officials agreed that the Tatars who collaborated escaped with the german army to Hungary and beyond, the Soviet papers kept up with the negative depiction of the remaining Tatars, who always sided with the Russians and suffered under the Germans.   So, on 18 May 1944, Stalin gave the order to start the deportation of the 150,000 Tatars.  By July 4 Stalin was informed the deportation was complete. 

All the while an estimated 25,000 Tatars were to the west, serving the Red Army units fighting their way to Berlin.  Eight of them were even named Heroes of the Soviet Union.  These were still the "patriotic Tatars", until the end of the war when they were shipped to Uzbek SSR.

In July 1944 50,000 Soviets, mainly Russians, were resettled on former Tatar homesteads/farms and given their property.  Another incentive to keep up the "Tatars were traitors" rhetoric.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »

Then you are probably mistaken

It is clear the Crimean Tatars were shafted and that their lands were given to ethnic Russians planted to change the population make up... 

Did some Tatars side with the Nazis ?  Almost certainly - but, overall - they were just another ethnic group persecuted and 'blamed' by Stalin and his cronies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportation_of_the_Crimean_Tatars

My ancestors were planted by the British in Ireland  and I believed 'my people' were the good guys and the Irish nationalist were the bad guys ... 

It is rather sad how kids get taught a version of history that is horribly skewed and believe it to be 'gospel'

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2018, 09:23:02 PM »

I'll let AvhdB our history expert explain that one once more, in case Wikipedia is not good enough for you.

However you wish to call them before they were called 'Tatar' is up to you. I will not dispute those things since it is silly. Mongols, Timurids or Tatars, they are all the same descendents. Mostly muslim people from middle-eastern origin.

Not sure I would call myself an expert on Krim history. It seems to be a bunch of vegetables thrown into a food blender and than tea was made, everyone is reading the leaves and telling which vegetable they taste.

Perhaps the earliest settlers and merchants were Greek, but most likely there were others at the same time and most likely with competing interests. The Scyth's who controlled the 'Silk Road' were dominant but after other interests were present it eventually came under Ottoman control. It was as this point the Tartars were present and were subservent (more or less) to the Ottoman empire. There seems to have been a hodge podge of ethnic people on the peninsula including Slavs over the centuries. Eventually it came under Ottoman control and finally in 1783 it was part of the Russian empire. At various points Goths and Mongols and others were present and at time dominant.

Note I would not call the Tartars a religion but rather an ethnic group the same holds true for the Slavs.

This is massively simplified so please do not shoot me.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #193 on: October 22, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »
There seems to have been a hodge podge of ethnic people

Damn you barbarians for bringing forth the Middle Ages.   :chuckle: (:) :fighting0025:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Wiz

« Reply #194 on: March 22, 2019, 05:18:24 PM »
Putin Jokes... that All Jews Are Wealthy

In the Crimean city of Sevastopol, the Jewish community is in the middle of constructing a synagogue. There's only one problem... they're short of funding.

Russia being Russia, you are allowed to crack a joke about this. In public.

No one is going to get fired. There will be no investigations. The media will not have a fit of feigned moral outrage. It's just... funny.

Transcript:

Crimean Muslims talked about how the peninsula's main mosque is being built. It's been talked about for at least 50 years.

The synagogue is also being completed in Sevastopol. But representatives of the Jewish community said that it can't be completed quickly.

“I think the construction of the synagogue can be finished by the end of the year. We currently have a delay due to financial problems. But I think it'll be settled.”

Vladimir Putin: “Jews having financial problems. A thing possible only in Crimea. Toda Raba [Thank you].”

Original posted at Russian Insider - 22 March_2019: All Jews Are Wealthy

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #195 on: March 22, 2019, 05:33:00 PM »
So hows crimea doing in 2019?

- A brandnew international Terminal has been built to service Aeroplanes wanting to land there. The tarmac is pristine and long enough for the larger jets.

- A bridge has been built allowing much, much more tourism to the island than previously possible on the broken old road from Dzhankoi from Ukraine.

- A Water de-saltation plant has been built to make Crimea self-sufficient in water demand. Water shortages are a thing of the past but water *is* more expensive now.

- 2 new powerplants have been built and 2 more are on the roadmap, to not only power Crimea (current situation) but also bring enough to power Sochi and krasnodar (future roadmap).

- A major overhaul of all major interstates and highways. Simferopol-Yalta is nearly finished, whilst Simferopol-Evpatoria was being constructed last year I was there. In July i will see if its finished yet. The 1x2 interstate will become a 2x2 highway with guard rails.

- Many new hotels keep popping up because tourism is booming. Traffic jams, smog and other high-population problems are now plaguing crimea during the tourist months. This is the one event I do not like, my peace-and-quiet vacation has been upgraded to a loud-tourist-vacation. Beaches are packed and finding a spot is becoming harder unless you arrive before 9 am.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #196 on: March 23, 2019, 12:53:33 AM »
Reads like how you hope it will be...NOT how it is.

1/  Where will all these 'tourists ' come from?..The families of Policemen/ civil servants / firemen forbidden from holidaying  in Turkey or Thailand  ?

2/ The airport..  from which countries will all these tourists be arriving? How will they use their credit cards to pay for stuff or draw cash?

3/ Let's wait until the end of the season to compare fact with reality. Tell us a out the tourist places that have closed. Are they reopening?

Sochi is STILL the major draw...NOT Crimea.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2019, 05:18:24 AM »

1/  Where will all these 'tourists ' come from?..The families of Policemen/ civil servants / firemen forbidden from holidaying  in Turkey or Thailand  ?

2/ The airport..  from which countries will all these tourists be arriving? How will they use their credit cards to pay for stuff or draw cash?

3/ Let's wait until the end of the season to compare fact with reality. Tell us a out the tourist places that have closed. Are they reopening?

1, The persons mentioned above are allowed to travel to Egypt (when the small problems are solved), Turkey, India and Thailand to name a few.
2, MIR cards are being accepted, along with some businesses who use either VPN's or "Ghost" companies within Russia to clear Visa cards.
3, According to reports, over 6m tourists/visitors visited Crimea during 2018 with over 1.5m of them arriving via various routes from Ukraine.
In 2018, Sochi hosted many conferences with overseas delegates attending, F1, some football world cup games, other major events, and as well as being an "all season" attraction inc skiing during the winter months, attracted some 5m tourists/visitors.

During the last 5yrs or so, Crimea has received substantial investment far in excess of any investment which it received in all the years under Ukraine's thumb.
Those that I meet ae extremely happy with the progress made so far, food is plentiful and not much more expensive that mainland Russia, this will even out more when the railway link is completed, which may be earlier than planned.
Exports of Crimean wines and champagnes has seen a big surge, along with exports of other products made/manufactured there and as far as I am aware, already exceeds by far exports previously reported.

Speaks for itself.

This is my impression/knowledge/experience from the many visits I have made there during the last 5 yrs, especially during the last year

There are plans afoot to fly Chinese, Iranian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian airlines into Crimea this year, but as with all plans, wait and see what develops.
There are also several major conferences arranged/planned for 2019 which will/may take place in Crimea, if they come to fruition.

Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Wiz

« Reply #198 on: March 23, 2019, 07:04:22 AM »
Mark

You forgot to address a very important point!

Putin before accepting the results and application of Crimea to join the Russian Federation, he made a grave mistake. He FORGOT to ask, the Hegemon's of the World, President of the USA and Puppet of NetaYahoo, Permission to accept Crimea or Not!

Do pay attention to the comments made by Noby who is involved in those International Political Games and must know something you and me don't know!

We can only guess or speculate.......to understand the wider picture.

Let me remind you... the following... Last July these two Leaders met privately!

On the Press conference afterwards we hardly heard of any agreement between them.

May I remind you that Tramp and Putin were planing to meet again in Paris or at G20 etc.  But no new meeting took place anymore.  No need as the Red telephone Line is available to do it any time and I am sure it's extremely secure.  :chuckle:

Meanwhile Don Corleone.... NetaYahoo has visited Putin in Sochi and Moscow few times.......

At the same Time, Tayip Ertogan, President of Turkey......has signed the Turkish Stream and also Order S400 to Russia.

Tramp got annoyed with Tayip Ertogan's actions so he attacked his Turkish Lira and devalued nearly 75%........and also threaten not to deliver to Turkey the F 35 Ordered By Turkey.

As it happens, Tramp ignore Ukraine and the Chockolate King, does not agree for NATO's involvement in the Azov and all gone quiet there.

Then out of the Blue he makes a nice present to Netayahoo.... by recognising Jerusalem. Then he announces that the USA is getting out of Syria, Bolton bites his mustache and Pompeo has a Big Mac and disagree and agree to delay the exit from Syria.

Ertogan get a promise to deliver for his F 35 delivery and he can make preparations for dividing Officially Cyprus...... later.

Venezuela is a dead operations, as the Proxy New Preside, whatever his name is, is a dead Horse. Maduro atill in Power.... Blah blah blah from all the American actors......but NO action.

Finally the Bankers come to the front...... and the Puppet Tramp announces the recognition of the Golan Heights sovereignty by Israhel.

Of course when he does this.... he will officially accept that  Crimea is legally Russian and the American will not interfere with the Russian Pipe Lines supplying Armenia, Via Georgia, after their move to control the E 60, where they extend their control.

Ask Noby to tell you what was his mission in Georgia and also in Cyprus with operation Black Knight.......... in the east of Cyprus.

More later when I will be back home.... must run now.

tiphat

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #199 on: March 23, 2019, 07:07:31 AM »
Still in denial moby? I am telling it how it is, from boots on the ground and news reports I read on normal mainstream media (mainly dutch).

Just yesterday I saw a (Belgian) travel show promoting crimea as a great place to visit, albeit you need a Russian visa which can be a hassle.
Quite a difference from 2014 when all the west with all possible channels said Crimea was a warzone and Shame on Russia.

Common folk? You obviously ignore not only the words, but also the examples of new problems arising from massive tourism they never had before.

Credit cards? Crimea is now an all-cash society and if you bring in advance you will not have any problems. (as most experienced travellers do research places they want to visit they will have no problems there).

Closed? No they aren't re-opening as a biz-owner you should know bankrupcy is final.
However new hotels are being built at record-speeds in even more sweet spots near the beaches.

:-\  :Zzzzsleep:

I know you have a sweet spot for Sochi, but please stick to the world we live in and not your fantasy.
OO===[][]===OO