The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Ipad  (Read 124 times)

Offline Rdkng07

• Trips: None Yet
Ipad
« on: December 05, 2016, 11:48:04 AM »
Hello, and forgive me if this is not the correct place for this question. I'm in the US and my girlfriend from Russia has arrived and will be visiting for a few weeks. I would like to replace her Ipad while she is here, but I'm not sure what the differences are.

When I purchase it I assume I will also have to order an additional power supply or adapter for the plug to be used in Russia? Are there other differences between Russian purchased and US purchased Ipads?

Will she be able to get it serviced if needed in Russia?

If anyone has any experience with this matter they would like to share I would appreciate it very much. The idea is she can use it here and take home with her when she returns.

Thank You

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Ipad
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:56:58 AM »
Hello, and forgive me if this is not the correct place for this question. I'm in the US and my girlfriend from Russia has arrived and will be visiting for a few weeks. I would like to replace her Ipad while she is here, but I'm not sure what the differences are.

When I purchase it I assume I will also have to order an additional power supply or adapter for the plug to be used in Russia? Are there other differences between Russian purchased and US purchased Ipads?

Will she be able to get it serviced if needed in Russia?

If anyone has any experience with this matter they would like to share I would appreciate it very much. The idea is she can use it here and take home with her when she returns.

Thank You

My advice - do not buy an expensive  electronic device in a nation where it will not be predominately used .. I have a Galaxy Note 5 - purchased in Russia in April '16... it had a faulty charging point - luckily it is fast wireless charge compliant. Samsung UK will not look at it

One can buy a genuine charger for an Apple device in Russia - the cables from the pad to the charger are universal

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 12:01:17 PM »
First the power supply - let her get that in Russia, it'll be easier. Don't try to use adaptors they just wobble and annoy.

Second, for warranties, Google gave this link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7522131?start=0&tstart=0

Third for 'differences', again, Google gave this helpful link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6863448?start=0&tstart=0

Looks like discussions.apple.com is a handy resource for Apple related issues. ;)

You might want to check, if you are buying a new device, because it might be better to avoid registering online and thus on iTunes from the USA and get her to do so from Russia where she will end up with the right version of Apple's services. Again info on discussions.apple.com echoes this.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:28:45 PM »
Single 07, Welcome to RUA.

An Apple iPad is a bit like a condom, you can use it in a under normal conditions everywhere & it works.

I have an iPad from America and have given three as gifts. One in England, one in Amsterdam, and one in Ukraine; the charging is fully exchangeable for each unit as we all have used different bricks to charge in different countries. I have used and powered up my iPad in all of the above countries as well as in the air/aloft. You will need to purchase a kit that has different plugs that slide into the brick. Usually you get an European brick good for Russia, and the rest of Europe, an extra American plug and an English plug, they all slide into the brick. Even a blonde from New Jersey can figure this out.*

I would be cautious registering a device on line if the user is primarily in one country and you purchased the device in another country.

An Apple warranty is good world wide (but based on expierence) I would not recommend repairing an Apple product from/in Ukraine. I am uncertain what the repair warranty work in Russia is for Apple products where the primary user perhaps is based. In Ukraine everything Apple is sent to either Poland, The Netherlands of France. On the other side Apple products from a hardware standpoint are strong and durable.

*Please confirm that we do not have any blondes from New Jersey as posters.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Rdkng07

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 01:15:42 PM »
All good information and exactly what I was seeking. Gentleman, thank you very much.   :BEER: