The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 12 New Cars with the worst Resale  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: 12 New Cars with the worst Resale
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:46:01 AM »
Did you just buy one of those then?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:00:42 AM »
Did you just buy one of those then?

no, absolutely not.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:59:32 AM »
What does this prove - other than our cousins across the pond have no taste .. :chuckle:

There's a reason why over half those models are not on sale in the UK..

The Fiat 500 is one of the better super Minis in Europe and holds it price, well, here !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/9171166/Top-20-cars-that-depreciate-the-least.html?frame=2179329

I guess the US is still a good place to buy a used Fiat /Jag / Merc, then .. :)

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:01:05 AM »
Moby, never one to let fact get in the way of his need to assuage his ennui!

The car in the list provided by Confederate Fiat 500l is a different car to the one you indicated, the Fiat 500 Abarth (I assume that you were actually referring to the whole range rather than just the popular, slow depreciating 'sporty' variant to which you linked?). They are a two different size classes, different platforms, different market segments and one is much more popular than the other. Guess which one is the less popular?  :'(

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 04:00:58 AM »

The car in the list provided by Confederate Fiat 500l is a different car to the one you indicated, the Fiat 500 Abarth (I assume that you were actually referring to the whole range rather than just the popular, slow depreciating 'sporty' variant to which you linked?). They are a two different size classes, different platforms, different market segments and one is much more popular than the other. Guess which one is the less popular?  :'(
As I didn't know how much Fiat does here in NL, I checked on a major second hand car-sales website.

All Fiat-500's here 4 year old , sell for 33% less than their new value, which is exactly on-par with what the american website claimed.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 05:38:55 AM »

The report in the Telegraph posted by the honourable member is about 5 years old...

What does that tell us and other readers???
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 05:59:35 AM »
Well, spotted, I missed that.

My mistake - I should know by now that everything from moby needs to be checked for honesty.  :'(

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 07:54:58 AM »
The member Andrew asked if I had purchased one of those and the answer is no. I hope my next car will be a BMW 5 series which I hope to pick up used by a party desperate to sell.  I especially like the BMW M series but could not afford a new one so hope perhaps to pick up a decent used 5 series, preferable manual transmission.

Perhaps by the time I'm done fixing it up it will be similar to the one used by Jason in the first "the Transporter" movie.  >:(

http://www.thetransportermovie.net/the-car

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 08:46:37 AM »
The member Andrew asked if I had purchased one of those and the answer is no. I hope my next car will be a BMW 5 series which I hope to pick up used by a party desperate to sell.  I especially like the BMW M series but could not afford a new one so hope perhaps to pick up a decent used 5 series, preferable manual transmission.

Perhaps by the time I'm done fixing it up it will be similar to the one used by Jason in the first "the Transporter" movie.  >:(

If you do a second-hand M-series, I can recommend the E60, excellent build quality. I now drive a 3-series E46 (not M) and its also golden.

To get your dreams going:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/06/08/video-dinan-stroked-bmw-e60-m5-sounds-brutal/

Btw, the transporter used a 7-series, not a 5er.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 09:07:17 AM »
My Boomer will be getting sold in a few weeks. It has served me well. It was my first 3 series and will be the last.

If you want to emulate the great Jason Statham I think you'll need a 7 series. Lovely car. In the movie it was a 1998 750iL but they referred to it as a 735 for marketing reasons.

I am a believer in old cars. My car is of the same vintage as Jason's, but smaller, slower and much less cool. On the other hand I have enjoyed cruising down the autobahn in the oldest car for many miles.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 09:41:46 AM »
I have a 3series M. I won't buy another as I find it somewhat underpowered. Ok for cruising but not too good if a quick spurt of speed is needed.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 09:49:59 AM »

The report in the Telegraph posted by the honourable member is about 5 years old...

What does that tell us and other readers???

It tells us that even Gypo can be correct - sometimes.. 

the CORRECT link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/9171166/Top-20-cars-that-depreciate-the-least.html

Fiat 500C - STILL in the top 20 at no.11 ;)
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 10:22:30 AM »

If you do a second-hand M-series, I can recommend the E60, excellent build quality. I now drive a 3-series E46 (not M) and its also golden.

To get your dreams going:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/06/08/video-dinan-stroked-bmw-e60-m5-sounds-brutal/

Btw, the transporter used a 7-series, not a 5er.

Yes, I know that. I did in fact look at the link I posted. I am only saying I would like to take a cheap used BMW 5 series and work on it till it was at the point that it had the kind of power and balance that the Transporter car had. Where he knew exactly how much weight his car could hold yet still get the kind of performance he wanted. 

I know a mechanic from Germany who specializes in taking a stock engine and rebuilding it to where it has more power than an M 5 series engine, changing suspension and changing the exhaust.

BTW thanks for the link; very cool!!!

Registration