The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: deport wife  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: deport wife
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 01:42:39 PM »
Is it possible to be there less than one year, absent for 5 and still have a green card?

There is some requirement to be in country for a certain amount of time during the first two years of residency, I believe. I had to investigate this because mt stepson worked as an officer in the shipping trade for a while after he came here. Working at sea is considered 'continuous residency' so it didn't effect him.

We have too many people ahead of her on the "chucking out" list.  As long as she keeps her nose clean nobody will care.

It's always a curiosity to me as I had a pal that went to the US on a tourist visa and stayed years. He managed to register a company, pay tax, etc. He thought he was golden as he was "in the system". Then one Xmas he visited his folks in the UK, went back, and they stopped him and deported him at his own expense as a previous overstayer.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
Re: deport wife
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »
Is it possible to be there less than one year, absent for 5 and still have a green card?

There is some requirement to be in country for a certain amount of time during the first two years of residency, I believe. I had to investigate this because mt stepson worked as an officer in the shipping trade for a while after he came here. Working at sea is considered 'continuous residency' so it didn't effect him.

We have too many people ahead of her on the "chucking out" list.  As long as she keeps her nose clean nobody will care.

It's always a curiosity to me as I had a pal that went to the US on a tourist visa and stayed years. He managed to register a company, pay tax, etc. He thought he was golden as he was "in the system". Then one Xmas he visited his folks in the UK, went back, and they stopped him and deported him at his own expense as a previous overstayer.

bye bye. but if he had been Mexican, no problem. those special little snowflakes had all sorts of ways to defraud our system.  no more. :smokin:
To coexist with communism on the same planet is impossible. Either it will spread, cancer-like, to destroy mankind, or else mankind will have to rid itself of communism (and even then face lengthy treatment for secondary tumors).
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn