The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Tipping - Pros and Cons to getting rid of it and going to a flat 18% surcharge  (Read 4202 times)

Offline treadmilldude

• Trips: None Yet
Manny what does USP mean? I even googled it and cannot find what it means.
A blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time, but only by accident. - My advice to any member wondering whether or not they should make the very bad decision of using Anastasiadate.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
Manny what does USP mean? I even googled it and cannot find what it means.

Unique Selling Point.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
The next question is what do fat UKians idealise?

As I recall something between the Russian and USAian, but it isn't just about weight. If you are interested I am sure that you can find out on Google.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
I'm a firm believer tips should be optional, and based on quality of service. That being said, tipping can be a great help when first arriving in country. If you find a taxi driver that you can communicate with,and charges a fair price then tip him well. Make sure to get his number, and ask if he's available, while you're there.

Really when it comes down to it, if you find the right woman, you won't be frequenting that many restaurants. The ladies I met felt they could prepare much tastier meals, and felt going out to eat was not necessary.

If you do tip your waitresses be discrete. You can easily give a bad impression, if your girl sees you throwing money away, possibly to a pretty waitresses she might view as competition.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline treadmilldude

• Trips: None Yet
I'm a firm believer tips should be optional, and based on quality of service. That being said, tipping can be a great help when first arriving in country. If you find a taxi driver that you can communicate with,and charges a fair price then tip him well. Make sure to get his number, and ask if he's available, while you're there.

Really when it comes down to it, if you find the right woman, you won't be frequenting that many restaurants. The ladies I met felt they could prepare much tastier meals, and felt going out to eat was not necessary.

If you do tip your waitresses be discrete. You can easily give a bad impression, if your girl sees you throwing money away, possibly to a pretty waitresses she might view as competition.

Really TomCat? Cool! I had not heard this was a common characteristic of Slavic Women. But it is good to know. Going out to eat is fun. But overall, I prefer to usually eat at home and fix some really tasty meals. I have no idea if either of the girls I am talking to are good cooks. Have not thought to ask them that yet.

Oh well, if we happen to have a pretty waitress, then that pretty waitress is going to get tipped well if she gives us good service. I tip the same no matter if the girl is unattractive, average, or gorgeous. If the girl I am taking to dinner is so insecure she cannot handle me tipping a pretty waitress well, then she is not even the type of girl I want to be marrying, as that will get old in a marriage really fast. I have dated some girls with serious trust issues, and it got old in a hurry.
A blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time, but only by accident. - My advice to any member wondering whether or not they should make the very bad decision of using Anastasiadate.

Offline Gipsy

Really TomCat? Cool! I had not heard this was a common characteristic of Slavic Women. But it is good to know. Going out to eat is fun. But overall, I prefer to usually eat at home and fix some really tasty meals. I have no idea if either of the girls I am talking to are good cooks. Have not thought to ask them that yet.

Oh well, if we happen to have a pretty waitress, then that pretty waitress is going to get tipped well if she gives us good service. I tip the same no matter if the girl is unattractive, average, or gorgeous. If the girl I am taking to dinner is so insecure she cannot handle me tipping a pretty waitress well, then she is not even the type of girl I want to be marrying, as that will get old in a marriage really fast. I have dated some girls with serious trust issues, and it got old in a hurry.

Then you need to realise that many former FSU ladies come with their own very big "Greeneyed monster" inbuilt.... :nod:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
Sounds to me like you do not have a lot of respect for waiters and waitresses, who just might have more than "half a brain".  :)

I they did, then they would quickly realise that a trip back to college and gaining some sort of a real life qualification would be the best way forward...

:thumbsup:

That's not always true and not always possible. Many people are only able to make the best of what they have available to them.

Where there's a will, there's always a way....

You are not so stupid as to mean that.

I beg your pardon.

I do not call you  names, so maybe you should be a little more self controlled.

I believe very strongly that a person holds their own destiny in their hands, they can make of themselves whatever they wish.

If you wish to mollycoddle people, then that is your choice..

If the cap fits then please feel free to don it. I called you no names, you chose to apply it to yourself.  I did not think it applied to you. You think less of yourself than I do.

If you really believe that anything is possible then you are demonstrably naive,  at the least.

Take a different case to make the point better.
You are,  I understand,  not a naturally born United States citizen. If you wanted to be president of the United States, in your view of the world that is entirely possible.  You hold your destiny in your own hands.
Problem is that unless you are a natural born citizen of the United States, no matter how much you might want to be president, it ain't going to happen.

For all of us,  in our lives,  there are constraints upon what we can do or achieve. To bluntly suggest otherwise tells us that you have not thought about the issue.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident

actually think I am an OK-looking guy and like my "Schwarzenneger" pictures.  :)

Is this guy for real??

As I said in another post, MR (cowboy) Muscle wants a cheapo ukrainski dewuchka (No 10 preferably, but a No 7 will do, because she will shut up and be thankful for all the cheapo burgers she will be able to eat), on his arm to show himself off..

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Those cowboys always want s cheap Ukrainian washer women /skivy  :laugh:

Thats what happens when you have been living with your mother till your 50 and realise its time to get married..The parents of these cowboys still think its a communist country  :laugh: :laugh:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Boris

Try to tip 18% in Ukraine and your gf/wife will think you are crazy or slap you in the head or both :-)))

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
I know it is late but I found this today and thought it worth a share: CLICK HERE!

In essence, the example restaurant found that removing tipping as a voluntary practice with a discretionary amount and moving toward a flat rate (18%) resulted in better service for clients, better quality food and increased incomes for both waiting and food prep staff.

Personally, the idea of a service charge as a way to pay for one's employees seems ridiculous but I can understand that, within the limited paradigm of the USA, simply charging enough for the entire experience through menu pricing is unlikely to work because Americans don't understand that staff need to be paid a living and competitive wage for their labours.

The basic idea that paying a proper wage removes the variability of service that tipping enforces makes a whole heap of sense having worked in food service and sales environments. In commission led retail one of the biggest issues management face is how to get sales staff to treat all clients equally well when the salespeople have preconceived (but often very inaccurate) ideas as to whom is likely to provide the best return upon time invested and in a restaurant where tipping, on a voluntary basis as a reward for service over and above the perceived norm was a lucrative employment for me.

The issue of preconceptions is the root of inequality of service provision - as the article notes, the experience of a white male in a restaurant is likely, because of tipping expectations, to be better than for all other groups.

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.