The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Banking in Russia as non-resident  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Gipsy

Re: Banking in Russia as non-resident
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2016, 11:39:04 AM »
Seems rather shortsighted reasoning. There's you this rich bloke who is unhappy about wasting money and you'll continue wasting money over something short term and and yet saves money in the long term?

Particularly if you get a debit card which is not a credit instrument anyway.

If a pauper like me can sort this stuff out and have a decent credit rating then you can too. Talk to your bank, I am sure that in your situation you get their personal banking services.

When you talk with your personal banker she will probably tell you that very often applying for a credit card does not even involve a credit check. Keeping your overall usage ratio down by spreading your balances will increase your credit score. Probably you don't even need to carry balances anyway.

I thought that there was one of them types of top up cards that was also free to use in Russia, but damned if I can find it now......
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline SuperPanda

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2016, 05:33:10 AM »
I remember reading Estonia and Latvia offer such accounts with the added bonus of being in the EU. I guess at the same time I could combine my Euro accounts into one as well which would keep paperwork down!

Latvia has a chequered bank history. Swedbank in Estonia is a proper one: https://www.swedbank.ee/about/about/branches/official - people speak both English and Russian if you call.
Two Latvian banks I spoke to seemed to have a good handle on things from opening to ruble, euro and gbp accounts (ABLV & BIB), is there a particular reason I should avoid?
Seems rather shortsighted reasoning. There's you this rich bloke who is unhappy about wasting money and you'll continue wasting money over something short term and and yet saves money in the long term?

Particularly if you get a debit card which is not a credit instrument anyway.

If a pauper like me can sort this stuff out and have a decent credit rating then you can too. Talk to your bank, I am sure that in your situation you get their personal banking services.

When you talk with your personal banker she will probably tell you that very often applying for a credit card does not even involve a credit check. Keeping your overall usage ratio down by spreading your balances will increase your credit score. Probably you don't even need to carry balances anyway.
Credit card applications usually involve a search, firat a soft search and secondly a hard search. This only changes if you bank with the bank and I don't bank with Halifax or Post Office. I am also more at risk of currency flucuations using credit cards whereas an account and one transfer, it is locked in.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »
Snoras I think it was called. Lost credibility about the same time as Iceland with Landsbanki Guernsey.

Maybe it's better now there, but Swedbank held firm through the bad times.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........