The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 40 Shipwrecks found in the Black Sea  (Read 868 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: 40 Shipwrecks found in the Black Sea
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 06:11:31 AM »
Interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/science/shipwrecks-black-sea-archaeology.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The Black Sea's lack of salinity is quite distinctive - after swimming in the very salty and buoyant Mediterranean.

It can have surprisingly strong strong storms pop up -even in the Summer -  without much warning and steep seas.

Great for hardened racers, but lousy for leisure cruising.

I've had to take an extra yachting sea-man ship proficiency course to be allowed to race to Crimea - as the Russians have beefed up the qualies needed to participate - following two fatalities en-route to Sochi from Crimea - after too many celebrations - following a successful race.

The Black Sea can be dis-proportionally dangerous

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 08:39:18 AM »
Interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/science/shipwrecks-black-sea-archaeology.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The Black Sea's lack of salinity is quite distinctive - after swimming in the very salty and buoyant Mediterranean.

It can have surprisingly strong strong storms pop up -even in the Summer -  without much warning and steep seas.

Great for hardened racers, but lousy for leisure cruising.

I've had to take an extra yachting sea-man ship proficiency course to be allowed to race to Crimea - as the Russians have beefed up the qualies needed to participate - following two fatalities en-route to Sochi from Crimea - after too many celebrations - following a successful race.

The Black Sea can be dis-proportionally dangerous

Sounds rather exciting if also dangerous.  Care to post any photos out on the Black Sea on the way to either Sochi or Crimea?  Have you actually sailed to one of the cities in Crimea?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 01:25:24 PM »
Many moons ago - 2004 - I sailed in a day race out of Balaklava..

I was due to do a long race to and from Crimea - this summer - but as I said, it was cancelled after fatalities and a clamp down ...Now, one has to have more 'papers' to prove competency and the yachts have to have more sophisticated kit.

AvHdB will know of things like Yachtmaster's and ICC's ...I had never done my YM practical - so was precluded.

THIS summer was 'racing around the cans' off Sochi and cruising in Turkey with my able crew person..

NEXT Summer..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic