The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Value of the Ruble  (Read 26613 times)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: The Value of the Ruble
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 07:44:06 AM »
Think you are all forgetting Online Forum rule 1.

1. Never tell the truth on forums.....

The truth is I do not give a flying fig.
Ooooer, was that a flying pig I just saw?  :chuckle:

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2017, 07:44:57 AM »
Btw, what happened after the other day when you were unwell? Did you get to a clinic and get seen?

I should go next week. A young woman here in Tbilisi who gave me the recommendation for the doctor is pretty insistent I make an appointment and go. She told an appointment is only 70 GEL.

[2/16/17, 5:07:52 PM] Ana: She is a very good doctor
[2/16/17, 5:08:07 PM] Ana: If you want, I will give you her mobile phone number to directly talk to her before visiting
[2/16/17, 5:08:26 PM] Ana: and in that clinic, everybody speaks English, not only that doctor
[2/16/17, 5:08:35 PM] Maxx: Yes I read it and they have good laboratory services and are hooked up with a clinic in Ohio
[2/16/17, 5:08:38 PM] Ana: even they have some doctors who don't speak Georgian :)
[2/16/17, 5:08:46 PM] Ana: yes
[2/16/17, 5:09:03 PM] Ana: prices for consultation is 70 GEL
[2/16/17, 5:09:10 PM] Ana: visit

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »
Btw, what happened after the other day when you were unwell? Did you get to a clinic and get seen?

I should go next week. A young woman here in Tbilisi who gave me the recommendation for the doctor is pretty insistent I make an appointment and go. She told an appointment is only 70 GEL.

[2/16/17, 5:08:07 PM] Ana: If you want, I will give you her mobile phone number to directly talk to her before visiting
[2/16/17, 5:08:26 PM] Ana: and in that clinic, everybody speaks English, not only that doctor
[2/16/17, 5:08:35 PM] Maxx: Yes I read it and they have good laboratory services and are hooked up with a clinic in Ohio
[2/16/17, 5:08:38 PM] Ana: even they have some doctors who don't speak Georgian :)
That's a little over $26. Seems a reasonable quote. You should go, if only for peace of mind.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »

That's a little over $26. Seems a reasonable quote. You should go, if only for peace of mind.

That is what I was thinking. After all the doctors visits and tests I was getting in the US on account of the accident I started to get like a hypochondriac.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »
Could the admin please find a new home for the last 15 posts as they are not relevant to the subject of the thread.. Thanks..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »
Thank you Chickenbrah for your kind wishes. On Moscow, I don't think there are plenty of native speakers here anymore. Yes, they are here for sure. But my senses so far tell me that they are not in plentiful supply. I see an opportunity, but I'll have to hustle for it.

Jerash, some people talk a heap of sh1t when the day is long..

Have suggested to you before that you should try to meet up with Dan, I'm sure that he's an ok guy, and will give you the benefit of his knowledge and experiences..

He may even be able to, and wish to help you get started...

I would assist if I could but its the wrong place at the wrong time for me..

I would suggest, that with the US Fed talking about a "Soon to be" rate rise, that the $ is going to strengthen against the rouble somewhat, but this will be offset by the slowly rising price of oil/gas, the proposed output extension, and the increasing strengthening of the Russian economy..

Its more than possible that the rouble will stay around its current value for a couple of months, but mid term I see it strengthening again, possibly as much as 50r to $ ....

Its now certain the CBR are buying $ again, but to what level is not known, but however much they are buying, its not weakening the rouble.. Its also possible, that Russia will de-value if the rouble gets too strong for the current economy...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Maxx

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2017, 10:36:15 AM »
Could the admin please find a new home for the last 15 posts as they are not relevant to the subject of the thread.. Thanks..

I agree. They can be sent to the cornfield.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »
Danchik, what specifically would you disagree with?
Remember, just the other day, you shared a potted, and buffed up, history of your time in Russia. I didn't see anything there which would counter that which I wrote.

As always, I am keen to learn from an expert and note, as a compliment, how your written English has improved considerably since you started teaching.
Really? Keen to learn :chuckle:. Or keen to be a douche. As I have said in the past to you, you should stick to talking about things you know. You know nothing about Moscow except what you can google, which isn't much.

I will give Jerash my advice on how to manage this. Like anything else in life, much depends on the person doing it. Many people get compensated at different levels for a product or service provided. For example, certain performers make more money than others (by far) because of how they perform. and their talents

Some lawyers make $50,000 a year, while others make $500,000. Do I really need to explain why?

The main reason I choose Moscow (which wasn't my first choice) was the fact that this city provided me with the best opportunity to live a lifestyle I was accustomed to. The money is here, and English has been, and still is a product that the Russians feel necessary to improve their lot in life.

My goal when I first arrived was to make $3000 a month (90K ru at the time). I make 100K in my sleep now even though it's worth less in $ at the moment.

I, for the last 11 years, have yet to solicit a single client; they find me. I have in the past wrote on this forum about all the compaines I have worked for here, and the extraordinary people I have met in the process working for these companies. By networking and providing a service that goes way beyond simple, silly grammar lessons and working not only with the best, most highly educated people in their respected fields, but the most highly compensated. This is how you make $10K a month here.

Just because some people who have passed your way on there way back to their native country couldn't get it done doesn't mean it can't be done. It just means they couldn't do it, nothing more.

Here are some photos I took of one of my accounts (before they relocated to the 2nd floor of the building) in my buffed up life here to illustrate this:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15390949_10209514877561139_5366459710379099554_n.jpg?oh=1ca9dabcf07226795d16d0ae48dbf0e5&oe=593296F1

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15380333_10209514884241306_7657167259828112280_n.jpg?oh=ad304d0742559660a43047703ea66b29&oe=59408EE1

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15327282_10209514888281407_5827711455841251088_n.jpg?oh=0a85a705ac16ca45563a6cbbc47d7118&oe=5934B5F7
The circular building is the gym I go to (World Class) which is 120k ru for a yearly membership. I can afford this as the location allows me to have more work without travelling the 1 1/2 hrs across town to my previous gym, which more than compensates for the extra 60K I pay now; e.g. I can have 2-3 lessons more a week, or about 25,000 ru a month extra. Another way to manage time and money :).

This gym is also considered the premier gym in Moscow and the RW who work out here are nice to say the least.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15390876_10209514892321508_7597693792206121439_n.jpg?oh=fdefc4f5b203abfbc73490a1cb9098ba&oe=5933B4CA

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15327255_10209514903681792_1215204140970938549_n.jpg?oh=35448d3b65714a81be8ef00bbf62f788&oe=59362D4E

This is just one of the many companies I have and still work for. I have been contracting with Universal for almost 5 years (May will be 5). They pay me quite well, this is Moscow, not Tallinn. Like I said, I have many businesses and private students also.

This is a video that shows a better view of the complex I have worked at for many years. This is where I have invited Jerash to meet me as I don't have much time in my day to meet anywhere else. He will see for himself if I have buffed up my life here and I welcome him to report back to you (:).

You are another person who I couldn't careless what you think. You know little about the dynamics of this city and absolutely nothing about my life here.

We, as individuals, bring into our life what is possible. It's easy to see with your negative attitude to what others can accomplished as to why you are who you are.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Chickenbrah

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »

My goal when I first arrived was to make $3000 a month (90K ru at the time). I make 100K in my sleep now even though it's worth less in $ at the moment.

Just because some people who have passed your way on there way back to their native country couldn't get it done doesn't mean it can't be done. It just means they couldn't do it, nothing more.

My ex's parents were making a bit more what you make but in the south of russia, with a house, and their daughter had a flat in their city as well as moscow. I would find it hard to believe someone could accomplish the same lifestyle as my ex, as well as pay rent,a family, pay for their kids, on 100k a month in moscow.

Guys do go live as expats abroad, but they would ensure they are making a couple grand a month, and reside in cities outside moscow. You got to save up for your kids university fees to study back in the west, good investment fund, nobody is denying you can live a half decent life in moscow as a single male.

End of the day, it is your life, i think andrew is thinking the same way as i am, thinking about retirement, kids, maybe i am wrong.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »

My ex's parents were making a bit more what you make but in the south of russia, with a house, and their daughter had a flat in their city as well as moscow. I would find it hard to believe someone could accomplish the same lifestyle as my ex, as well as pay rent,a family, pay for their kids, on 100k a month in moscow.

Guys do go live as expats abroad, but they would ensure they are making a couple grand a month, and reside in cities outside moscow. You got to save up for your kids university fees to study back in the west, good investment fund, nobody is denying you can live a half decent life in moscow as a single male.

End of the day, it is your life, i think andrew is thinking the same way as i am, thinking about retirement, kids, maybe i am wrong.
reread my post. I didn't say I make 100k, I said I make that in my sleep. Are you a native speaker?

As for my retirement and such, it's not an issue. I own a house in LA, and have other passive income. I was writing this while you posted:

I have never been one to want to write about my liife on this forum for many reasons. One is to protect some of the people I have met whom are quite connected. Another is because I donot/didn't want to have to explain every little detail about my life and have idiots take pot shots at it.

My life is my life. It's neither that interesting for me to do as I am a rather private person, nor something I'm that comfortable with.

I have at times given a little more about it as some have been asking me questions privately about moving here. I also know most/some, for whatever reason, wouldn't believe me anyway so why go through that.

Doesn't matter much, but people who are thinking of coming to Russia need to know some real truths.

Again, for the sake of your reading comprehension, you are not (yet :)) one of the idiots I was referring to in this post.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
and for the record, 100k a month is the bare minimum one needs to live a decent life in Moscow. I have broken this down a few times in the past if one cares to look that info up.

Offline Chickenbrah

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2017, 12:05:34 PM »

I, for the last 11 years, have yet to solicit a single client; they find me. I have in the past wrote on this forum about all the compaines I have worked for here,

You mean companies

I can afford this as the location allows me to have more work without travelling the 1 1/2 hrs across town to my previous gym, which more than compensates for the extra 60K I pay now; e.g. I can have 2-3 lessons more a week, or about 25,000 ru a month extra. Another way to manage time and money :).

You mean traveling, not travelling.

You are another person who I couldn't careless what you think. You know little about the dynamics of this city and absolutely nothing about my life here.

You mean care less, not careless, i couldn't care less TO what you think, as opposed to i am CARELESS.

We, as individuals, bring into our life what is possible. It's easy to see with your negative attitude to what others can accomplished as to why you are who you are.

Check your grammar

You mean their, not there.

Okay, so this is what you got to show for 10 years teaching experience? A guy with dyslexia correcting your poor english? If you want to be hostile, try cover your backside first.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2017, 12:09:41 PM »
Thanks for making the list.

Please, in the future, do not ask me any more questions about Russia in PM's, OK brah.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2017, 12:10:08 PM »
Unfortunately the best way as a 100% sure way to see how well you have done in your life will never ever be seen by the individual!!  :(

When you die and they lower you into the ground in your wooden box, depending on how many people attend your funeral is a good indicator of how good your life WAS.

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
Unfortunately the best way as a 100% sure way to see how well you have done in your life will never ever be seen by the individual!!  :(

When you die and they lower you into the ground in your wooden box, depending on how many people attend your funeral is a good indicator of how good your life WAS.

Apart from Jimmy Savile
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Chickenbrah

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »

Please, in the future, do not ask me any more questions about Russia in PM's, OK brah.

For a guy that has been residing in russia for over a decade you sure are a pussy. If you want to throw a punch, make sure you can take a hit. You are an adult, i gave you a response and you tried to be hostile, and it backfired and you are now sulking like a pussy.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »

Apart from Jimmy Savile

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  They dug him up again? I thought for checking DNA under his foreskin?

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »

For a guy that has been residing in russia for over a decade you sure are a pussy. If you want to throw a punch, make sure you can take a hit. You are an adult, i gave you a response and you tried to be hostile, and it backfired and you are now sulking like a pussy.
WTF? :laugh:

Sure, ok. I'm sorry, I didn't know you were so sensitive.

Are you sure you've been to Russia? Next time you're here give me a shout out and call me that to my face. I can be found at Moscow City.

Offline Chickenbrah

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »

Sure, ok. I'm sorry, I didn't know you were so sensitive.

Are you sure you've been to Russia? Next time you're here give me a shout out and call me that to my face. I can be found at Moscow City.

You were the sensitive one, you threw your toys out the pram, and when it got tough you told me never to play with you again.

Yes i been to Russia. Ah, the infamous internet tough guy. I had a 50-year-old telling me he wanted to come down to the UK to fight me, when i asked him for his details, he always ducked and dived. Do you feel a bit more manly now, after that burn i gave you? Calling out a fight that we both know you wouldn't go through with alone. Should i take the word of a pussy to fight his own battles?

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
Послушай хитровыйбанный,

To call someone a pussy is stepping over the line. Those are words from an internet "tough guy". I'll take care of what I have if and when I have to.

If you are that defensive about my post to you, which was harmless, you're in trouble finding a lasting relationship in the FSU (I just sent you a PM helping you with some info before my post to you, twit), GTFU.

I understand you're alone and at an age where you have all this pent up sperm pressure. I have some company coming soon, so I must be off to unleash mine. I suggest taking some of the edge off yourself.

And since you're such a take charge guy, I hope that when you finally go to sleep after all the excitement at your house tonight, you take matters into your own hands. You really need to clean out the pipes. :)

Catch you on the backside, braahhhh.

Offline Chickenbrah

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »
Послушай хитровыйбанный,

To call someone a pussy is stepping over the line. Those are words from an internet "tough guy". I'll take care of what I have if and when I have to.

If you are that defensive about my post to you, which was harmless, you're in trouble finding a lasting relationship in the FSU (I just sent you a PM helping you with some info before my post to you, twit), GTFU.

I understand you're alone and at an age where you have all this pent up sperm pressure. I have some company coming soon, so I must be off to unleash mine. I suggest taking some of the edge off yourself.

And since you're such a take charge guy, I hope that when you finally go to sleep after all the excitement at your house tonight, you take matters into your own hands. You really need to clean out the pipes. :)

Okay miss, i posted chat logs on here of women coming down to my place in the uk. So maybe it is a new experience for you, going to russia and a woman coming down to your place, but for some of us, we been doing this back in the west. But i am glad to see that you validate your self-worth by a russian woman coming down to your place, for you, it must be a huge accomplishment compared to what was going on in the west.

Like i said before,you are nothing more than a pussy. Maybe if you grow some tits, and chop off you 5 inch man hood, you can be an escort, and teach english at a mediocre level.

by the way, you only responded to my pm, as you thought you could try and be hostile, and i will sit there and take it. Sorry brahhhhh, wipe the tears now. Hope you have fun as she  :censored: s you in the ass with a strapon.

Edit

Pm me your vk, or facebook, i will actually meet up with you. Lets see if you follow through.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »
Послушай хитровыйбанный,

Послушай хитровыйбанный

Blimey I thought I knew all the bad words in Russian, I have to use some times out and about in the town. Never heard of that one but the wife says its very bad and cannot translate... :thumbsup:

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »

I agree. They can be sent to the cornfield.

Confederate for the time being can you put some twang in here?

Perhaps Danchik will get into a stew but the majority of posts are silly. I would aim to polish 30 or so posts away.  And some complain at me & Confederate . . . .
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2017, 02:36:30 PM »
Danchik, your GOAL might have been to earn $3k per month when you arrived in Moscow. Would you like to tell the nice boys and girls how many years it took you to get there?

You have told us before just how shitty life was so, please, don't try to mislead people who think your example is worth following.

Let us allow that by making $1800 per month 'in your sleep' that you manage, when awake, to double it. Why not tell the nice boys and girls what that means, in Moscow, in terms of living and enjoying a decent life? For example, how big is your apartment? To what standard is it built, or refurbished? How far from the centre of the city is it? What kind of car do you drive?

How many other, formerly itinerant, English teachers without qualifications, just like you, have managed to cease being itinerant and manage to scrape a living, as you have, for the longer term? I bet that you can count on the fingers of zero hands the number.

By the way, having seen your recent posts I am forced to retract my compliment about the standard of your English. You do seem to have taken a couple of steps backward. Good job that you stick to conversational English, eh?

Sorry Danchik, but pimping out other people's apartments is not what one might call 'many businesses' really, is it?

Be honest with us and people who seek your help. Tell them the truth about how you succeeded (and credit to you, you went from nothing, by yourself with almost no assets, no language skills, no teaching qualifications and mediocre, at best, English skills, and managed to parlay that up to enable you to survive in a tough environment) and what that meant to you, particularly in the early years. But when talking of your grand income, why not tell the nice boys and girls about the subsidy from your mum's house (your house in LA) because unless the house is almost valueless it is hard to imagine that the subsidy it provides is less than your earnings from teaching. What's the figure, around $2K per month, a bit more?

====================================
Jerash, the reality is this:
Teaching English is a low pay, low status occupation - that's true in Moscow just as it is pretty much any place. Most people do it for a while until they scrape enough money together to get to be somewhere else - or give it up as a bad job. There's quite strong demand for teachers in Moscow but the wild west times of a few years ago when qualifications were not required and where getting paid was something of a long shot are pretty much over. The advantage to people going into the business, in Russia, is that the barriers to entry are low. Almost anyone can get a job - but the pay and conditions may not be what one might want. Emergency money maybe, life - not really.

Many years ago I did some teaching, but not in Russia - in Finland. It isn't easy, a good teacher will spend a lot of time preparing for lessons (but not getting paid for it) and even teaching kids is not stress-free. I can tell you that Russians LOVE grammar and will take delight in tripping you up on arcane (and not so difficult) points of grammar just for sport; you might not know quite what is happening until you understand a modicum of Russian. For myself, I was amazed at the levels of grammar ability displayed by the professional English teachers that I met in Russia. Their environment forced it upon them.

Many language schools will still do their damndest to rip you off - ESPECIALLY if you have no qualifications. Remember that most teachers get paid only for 'face time' not preparation and not travel. Danchik was not immune to that problem, maybe he can give guidance as to how to avoid it; perhaps even arrange an intro to one of the good schools when you have some decent qualifications under your belt.

Having private clients is about the only way to go but as Danchik, in his honest moments, will tell you it can, as it did with him, take YEARS to build enough clients to move away from language school slavery.

To his credit, Danchik is the ONLY guy I know of who has managed to get by long term on this gig and, as you now know, a large part of his income is derived from sources other than teaching and a large part is not even derived from his activities in Russia.

Danchik is right about the cost of living in Moscow though. Your seedcorn money will not go far as a new arrival in an expensive city.

Here's some recent information about teaching in Moscow:
http://waytorussia.net/Expat/Teaching.html

Ads from folks wanting to teach English: https://preply.com/en/moscow/english-native-speakers (when looking at the rates consider the qualifications and experience they offer and then understand that it is hard to work more than about 25 hours of paid time due to the need to travel, market yourself and prepare lessons. Always assuming that one can get that much work!

http://students.sras.org/teaching-english-in-russia-the-complete-guide/ info aimed at students in Russia who want to do some teaching. Looks like a fairly impartial piece by an outfit with no horse in the race.

Just look how many other folks are trying this: http://www.expat.ru/resume.php
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Registration