The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Value of the Ruble  (Read 26514 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
The Value of the Ruble
« on: November 10, 2016, 02:35:53 AM »
Now that Trump will be the next US president he might consider lifting the economic sanctions.  Does this mean the ruble will re gain some value? 

Do you think it might be a good time to buy some rubles? 

Although it has seemed that the prices have gone up in Russia.  A latte is still around $3 to $4.  I have a driver/ guide in Moscow which charges 1800 RR per hour which now is around $30 per hour but I doubt he charged the same in 2013 which would have put him at $60 per hour. 

Any thoughts? 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: The Value of the Ruble
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 02:55:50 AM »
When you talk about prices going up in dollars in a country that does not use dollars as its currency then you are confusing yourself, and the rest of the world!

If the dollar goes down in value against the ruble (as it has this year) then the price in dollars will go up, but that has nothing to do with the actions of the taxi driver or grocer.

It would be more helpful to you to use ruble values when talking of prices in Russia.

The chances are that your taxi driver would have charged you around 900 rubles back in 2013 which was about $30 back then.

And no, not a time to buy rubles just to hold them. Now it is a good time to engage in what is called by blokes who know 'Carry Trade'. That is you borrow dollars at low interest rates in the USA and you buy investments denominated in rubles in Russia. Currently investments in Russia are seeing good returns: CLICK HERE!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 04:00:12 AM »
The R.Rouble has been pretty stable atjust under 80 to the GBP ..after the Brexit 'adjustments'.

The strength of the RR is strongly linked to Energy prices.

If you think they will rise..bet on the RR.

It was c.40-50 to the GBP when energy prices were double what they are now.

Inflation within Russian reflected both the fall in the Rouble and consequential price rises. Inflation is slowing..but at a rate western economies would regard as high.

The housing market is flat.

Great deals to be had on consumer goods.

I do not think the time is right to bet on substantial gains..

If one is brave.. Buy property and rent it out.. the returns are greater than the western markets I know. I am only familiar with two cities' housing markets. Not Moscow or Piter.

The GBP worth a punt when all the Brexit negotiations seem clearer.. it is now undervalued.

Your currency.. ? I have NO idea..in the last two days...it has done the opposite of my expectations on two occasions !)

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »
Only a few hours have pased and the GBP has gained five percent against many currencies .incl.Rouble.?

Who' d try and win every day in currency trading?

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:16:46 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »
1 US Dollar equals58.36Russian Ruble

Slowly each week the ruble continues to gain on the dollar.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
The ruble is now at about the level that the RCB wanted to see before all the silliness started in 2014.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
1 US Dollar equals58.36Russian Ruble

And slowly my weekly food bill is going up  :laugh:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:27:38 AM »

I'd guess that most of your income is in dollars yes?

I have been experiencing something of a pay rise recently for that reason, although on the other hand, the behaviour of the pound has had the opposite effect, leaving matters, overall, as something of a wash.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »

I'd guess that most of your income is in dollars yes?

I have been experiencing something of a pay rise recently for that reason, although on the other hand, the behaviour of the pound has had the opposite effect, leaving matters, overall, as something of a wash.

Yes $ but it was £. I changed it over to $ just before the referendum to be safe :) But the last two years the amount of roubles we have each week has changed a fair amount. Its been like Christmas for the last 18 months  if the rouble ever went back to its old rate we will be on Herrings and soup for dinner most of the week.. :laugh:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
The ruble is now at about the level that the RCB wanted to see before all the silliness started in 2014.

This is almost silly.

Look at the Russian currency and look at the price of oil. Look at the trend over six months please.

Anyone out there get it?

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 01:51:07 PM »
1 US Dollar equals57.15Russian Ruble

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 07:39:52 PM »
Avhdb, you obviously do  not know about this stuff however many central banks have a target exchange rate expressed in certain currency pairs typically the US dollar.  The he Russian Central Bank is no different. The Russian Central Bank several years ago, expressed a target range for the Russian ruble when under a free float regime. We should remember that the oil is only a part of the Russian economy and it's importance is falling however the price of oil is not what the rouble value is about.

The central bank's targeting serves several purposes and is thus a compromise.

What many people forget, including nieve posters here, is that in 2014 the Russian central bank was moving to a free float away from its managed regime and that the bank recognised the exchange rate over the previous time had overvalued the rouble. When the correction, forced by external events, took place there was, from the Russian perspective, an overshoot. That overcorrection is now pretty much reversed.

Online Texan77

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 08:16:26 PM »
Russia largest exports are related to energy production. The price of energy has a large effect of the balance of payment Russia receive from trade and is a huge factor in the value of it's money. Even after sanctions the EU is by far Russia largest trading partner and energy is by far its most valuable export.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/exports
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Boris

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
Russia largest exports are related to energy production. The price of energy has a large effect of the balance of payment Russia receive from trade and is a huge factor in the value of it's money. Even after sanctions the EU is by far Russia largest trading partner and energy is by far its most valuable export.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/exports

Tex, your a good guy. But, every time I read one of your posts I get a "I'm really from Shanghai vibe."

Online Texan77

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 03:23:16 PM »
If you do not like my post tell me what is wrong with it? I do not take it personally unless you attack me personally. This makes for discussion. The world is in a complete financial mess and Russia is not any better than everyone else. Russia is the world largest energy producer and like most large producer this becomes a very large part of their foreign trade. Their Currency will vary a lot based of their balance of trade like all countries. Since oil is very volatile the Russian currency varies more than most countries. Other large producer countries also have this problem.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »
If you do not like my post tell me what is wrong with it? I do not take it personally unless you attack me personally. This makes for discussion. The world is in a complete financial mess and Russia is not any better than everyone else. Russia is the world largest energy producer and like most large producer this becomes a very large part of their foreign trade. Their Currency will vary a lot based of their balance of trade like all countries. Since oil is very volatile the Russian currency varies more than most countries. Other large producer countries also have this problem.

Both the Saudi's and the Russians will be pissed if Trump manages to boost up US oil production WAY UP.  :coffeeread:

Online Texan77

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 11:28:16 PM »
Solar is the real problem long term for the oil producers. By early 2020's Solar will start to make a real difference. Power companies here in the USA pay about 5 cents per KW for solar power and pay 9 cents per KW for natural gas power.  Solar is likely to get to be a lot less in not too many years. Here in this link even Ukraine is starting converting to solar.

I think the Key stone pipe line will be a huge financial mistake and will never pay for itself.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 02:45:16 AM »
Hi guys. With reference to the topic of this thread, I would be I interested in any advice you care to offer me. I've relocated to Moscow for the long term. I have about $5,000USD in cash money, which I've been exchanging in little bits to rubles. The ruble has been gaining steam for awhile and I'm wondering what might be a prudent strategy for me going forward. I'm a little bit nervous that my stack of cash is declining in value every day.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 03:57:31 AM »
Hi guys. With reference to the topic of this thread, I would be I interested in any advice you care to offer me. I've relocated to Moscow for the long term. I have about $5,000USD in cash money, which I've been exchanging in little bits to rubles. The ruble has been gaining steam for awhile and I'm wondering what might be a prudent strategy for me going forward. I'm a little bit nervous that my stack of cash is declining in value every day.

If I was you I would change it up tonight! But so the news says here the Rouble will be going down next month..

What ever you do don't get robbed ..If I even had $200 on me in would be in my shoe :laugh:

Thats not just in Russia thats anywhere..

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 04:26:18 AM »

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

In your position I would probably hedge my bets, by changing 50% of it into r, and keep the rest in $
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Boris

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 07:07:43 AM »
I have 2500 hryvnia left from my last trip. I think I'll put it in my shoe...Thanks SB for the tip...:-))

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 07:32:20 AM »
Solar is the real problem long term for the oil producers. By early 2020's Solar will start to make a real difference. Power companies here in the USA pay about 5 cents per KW for solar power and pay 9 cents per KW for natural gas power.  Solar is likely to get to be a lot less in not too many years. Here in this link even Ukraine is starting converting to solar.

I think the Key stone pipe line will be a huge financial mistake and will never pay for itself.

I disagree. And I don't see Solar as becoming cost effective or profitable for a decade or more. For now oil is still cheap enough and motors will continue to become more efficient whether gasoline or diesel.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 07:36:07 AM »

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

In your position I would probably hedge my bets, by changing 50% of it into r, and keep the rest in $

Gypsy is giving good (and free) advice.

Bear in mind $5,000.= US is a razor thin amount to re-establish your self on in a foreign country.

Hopefully you can start a Maxx sort of thread about your expierence in Mother Russia.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Jerash

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 08:10:42 AM »
Yeah, far to say it is razor thin, but it's enough to get started and support myself for a few months. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm not coming here rich, I'm coming to get rich, well or at least to make a living :) I've got a bit more in my Canadian bank account too.  And, you could say this is an investment in another way too as by being here, I'll actually be extinguishing my debts much more quickly (that's a bit of a story).

Still haven't found a more permanent living situation yet. But in the process of searching, I already have an offer of work. I get the feeling I'm not going to have too much trouble earning ok money here.

I think it comes down to something Danchik has said somewhere before - with the economic crisis, most of the expats left. And although the demand for good paying gigs is down, I think the supply of native speakers available to do this gigs dropped down even further. So for those who are here on the ground, I suspect there is some good money to be made by those who are willing to work for it. This is my working theory at the moment.

Registration