The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Value of the Ruble  (Read 26516 times)

Offline Chickenbrah

Re: The Value of the Ruble
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2017, 03:25:09 AM »

I said earlier it is your life, it is impossible for an outsider to give you a correct path, because like you said, i am only making assumptions. But people tend to get clouded when making a decision and act in desperation rather than logically. I been in that situation a few times, once was after my break up with my Russian ex. I was acting clouded, it took me time to act rationally, and choose a path that was sensible.

Regarding my ban's, yes , the first one i requested, the second one was due to me exposing a 50 year old man for being a fraud. That is why i do not take what people say on here too seriously, as a lot of people are not comfortable in their own skin (i wasn't a while back).

I wish you prosperity in Russia, and hope you enjoy the women there. It is surely better than the west! You will live a life that most people won't truly live. Enjoy every minute of it, and take full advantage of it.

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2017, 03:49:14 AM »

I said earlier it is your life, it is impossible for an outsider to give you a correct path, because like you said, i am only making assumptions. But people tend to get clouded when making a decision and act in desperation rather than logically. I been in that situation a few times, once was after my break up with my Russian ex. I was acting clouded, it took me time to act rationally, and choose a path that was sensible.

Regarding my ban's, yes , the first one i requested, the second one was due to me exposing a 50 year old man for being a fraud. That is why i do not take what people say on here too seriously, as a lot of people are not comfortable in their own skin (i wasn't a while back).

I wish you prosperity in Russia, and hope you enjoy the women there. It is surely better than the west! You will live a life that most people won't truly live. Enjoy every minute of it, and take full advantage of it.

You know what, I was in a marriage that ended, but that was almost 2.5 years ago already. I made some clouded decisions then, but this relocation is a pretty big decision and one I've been planning and preparing for for 6-7 months. I'm pretty comfortable with my decision and like I said my eyes are wide open. I know I'm going to face challenging times.

That's okay, it's part of the program. I'm confident I'll prosper here, whether financially or personally, but probably both.

I think you spend a bit too much time and energy sneaking about to expose other people as "frauds".  Really, you just focus on other people too much and on what you perceive to be their shortcomings.  This does not bode well for your future relationships. You would do well to focus on your own personal growth and development so that you can't meet truly wonderful women in the future. Anyway, that's my two kopeck advice, you'll do whatever it is you want.

Thanks for your kind words. I wish you the best as well.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2017, 04:48:12 AM »

Firstly thankyou for the apology in pm, secondly, i did comprehend what you said earlier about 100k in your sleep, but i had a feeling you were making close to 100k in your sleep via teaching. So i low balled your salary, to see you correct me with a more accurate figure.But you choose to be vague for a reason. I am not as stupid as you think, i am not saying you are a liar, but maybe your house in LA is giving you confirmation bias. Like i said, not everyone is blessed to have a house, or a trust fund given by parents.

I am seeing a girl, whose boyfriend studied Russian in university , so he could teach business english in moscow. He wants her to join her there. I know he is doing okay, not great, but for people his and my age, that is what is expected these days. The only difference is he is in a country that many choose to migrate to come to the UK and work. I do think russia is a great place to work and live, but only if you have funds outside, which luckily for you, your mum has given. That was my point, which you proved exactly. No need for any hostility from either of us.  I will add you on skype alter, there is a lot a guy like yourself can teach me about russia.
No problem.

Just to clear things up again for you and anyone reading, as it seems Andrew has passed (by your own admission in our PM and this post) some, shall we say, wrong info about me. He also didn't help me get started in Moscow as he told you :laugh:. I doubt he has ever been to Moscow.

It's unfortunate that he spreads these things (Max are you listening) about me, and has about others for that matter, and that "some" people actually believe him. This is exactly why I try not to deal with him. Even Manny, whom I consider smart, have respect for and is the reason I even continue to post here, is not immune to the egregious lies told to him about me by this sorry excuse of a person.

Equally unfortunate is that he is such a detriment to this board as he has driven away some/many good posters. It's amazing beyond belief that anyone over the age of 15 would get his thrills by doing this, but this is a guy with unquestioned self-esteem issues, among other issues.

Now, I have no trust fund from my mom :chuckle:, who was a housewife and didn't work. I would not be ashamed at all to have this and would welcome it wholeheartedly matter of fact.

As far as my house, yes, I did buy it from my mom (at market price BTW) so she could retire on that money, move to Texas and help her mom (my grandma who was 89 at the time and in poor health) and live decently for the rest of her life. My house has appreciated greatly mainly because it's in LA, but, it's just paper money and not something I want to tap into just yet. I did tap into about $5K through an equity loan at the start of my time here to cushion things. I get some passive income from my house, but use that mostly to pay for insurance and taxes on the property. Doesn't help me here.

Most of my income is derived from teaching. I have written about this many times before and I'm not going to go into all the details. Anyone can search the archives if anyone is THAT interested. But, I have made over 300K rubles a month (when the ruble was 30), just teaching English, on numerous occassions. And consistently make and made 2-250K a month, which was $7-8K after taxes from about the end of 2006, beginning of "07, until the end of 2014.

My 2-rm flat (Western renovated inside and out) is located about a 5-10 minute car ride from the Kremlin and goes for 45000 ru. (Prospect Mira metro area). Typically, this area goes for more, but I found it through a contact. In the past that was $1500, but now because of the devaluation it's under $800, so that takes some of the sting out of some of the devaluation depending how you look at it.

Jerash,

You're starting to get an idea about Andrew and nice follow up post to his tripe. Couldn't have said it better myself. You can expect more of this from him as it's how this fool rolls.

I'm also sure he thinks that what he says here actually matters in people's lives given his extremely unwarranted grandiose opinion of himself. I would never, and have never considered any of his advice on anything Russian, nor about my skills and talents. He has absolutely nothing to offer me.

Can you imagine the arrogance of someone who has never lived a minute in Moscow, thinking they know more about a place than someone who has lived here for almost 13 years by googling or talking to a few losers who couldn't find their way out of a paper sack and have all the creativity of a grapefruit?

You will have to follow your own path for sure, and each path is not some cookie-cutter boring existence that can be googled. Moscow is an incredibly interesting place to live and I'm excited for you. Nobody is saying that it will be easy, but I think it's rather unstandable that easy is NOT part of the equation, or all that interesting. The one thing I never had was a negative attitude about my situation here, nor the belief that I couldn't succeed. 

Only the most boring person in the world would look at life like that and live with such a negative attitude about the possibilities. You control your limits, not google (I'm sure you know this).

So, expect (as I do to me), some reply from him full of half-truths, made up insults about your life, googled facts that mean nothing, twists, and utter nonsense to try and have the last word and be the douche that he is. I had thought by now that he would have grown out of this manifestation of a life being him, but he obviously has never been totally comfortable in his own skin. Like no one here or on any fora hasn't figured him out after all this time.

Finally, I will also give you some insight on how to maximize your situation through the contacts you meet here in ways that you maybe haven't considered (I didn't when I first moved here). Like, for instance, finding a good value on a flat as I mentioned, or meeting a nice RW who has her own car, good paying job and flat and is manhunting (I have met many :)). This is Moscow, not Tallinn.

Wait, maybe Andrew can google a RW for you. :laugh:
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2017, 05:02:46 AM »
Послушай хитровыйбанный,

That took a bit of explaining by MrsDS..... :chuckle:

I must admit I did the same.  :-X

Послушай хитровыйбанный,

You can't have two й's in the same word I think!

Sure it's not grammatically correct either - can't ask the Mrs either she won't get involved helping me with curse words...

Olga explained there is a kind of made up word from other words in there so that might explain the two й's.

On a related note, Jerash on the previous page has shown that he has done the research and has the smarts to have a good crack at it. Good luck to him.
I see some of you liked that word :P.

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2017, 05:15:15 AM »
Послушай хитровыйбанный

Blimey I thought I knew all the bad words in Russian, I have to use some times out and about in the town. Never heard of that one but the wife says its very bad and cannot translate... :thumbsup:

It can be translated - as someone who thinks / pretends they are smarter than you; it is indeed highly insulting!  :)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2017, 05:16:23 AM »
Послушай хитровыйбанный,

I must admit I did the same.  :-X

Послушай хитровыйбанный,

Sure it's not grammatically correct either - can't ask the Mrs either she won't get involved helping me with curse words...

Olga explained there is a kind of made up word from other words in there so that might explain the two й's.

On a related note, Jerash on the previous page has shown that he has done the research and has the smarts to have a good crack at it. Good luck to him.
I see some of you liked that word :P.
Always helps to expand one's vocabulary.  ;D

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2017, 05:17:31 AM »
Somewhere, Maxx wrote that Moscow is one of the most expensive cities in the world.  I guess the moderators deleted it as factually incorrect.

I don't think I actually said that. I have been trying to not get into the middle of other people's squabbles and I know I've stepped on the toes of one of the participants here. I did think about the need to figure out the cost of living for ones plans as I am living as an expat in the Republic of Georgia on account of it being much cheaper to live here than in the States (run on sentence). In regard to Moscow on whether it is the most expensive city. That shouldn't be the concern. But rather how much you need to earn just to have the basics of life. I know, something everyone should know and factor in when moving. That is why the results of the costs of my first month (after my second move) of living here are an interest to me. The coldest month in Tbilisi for years and the gas came to $89 Lari ($33) and so on. I would think the very thing Jerish should consider is what it will cost just to survive and then move on from there.

Sorry, Maxx, maybe it was someone else.  $33 for a month of heating in the coldest month in years. That must have been a welcome surprise to you :). And from what I call you are living in a quite nice and spacious flat.

Yes, I was pleased. I expect my gas bill to be around $10 a month during the year. I have a gas stove but an electric oven. Here they have a minimum amount to pay and what you actually use is added on to this set amount. I figure the other utility costs electric/water/garbage combined bill @ $20 and phone and internet @ less than $10 each. I seem to be getting by for food, restaurants and travel (taxis) at about $100 a week or less. Total it comes to about $700-$800 a month including the rent. I have a lease through August @ $300 a month. My goal is to save $500 a month out of my SS retirement income. And maybe someday to add to that with some side income.

My flat is nice. I don't know how it compares with the flats in the exclusive part of the city, Vake. (pronounced  "Vak-ee") as I haven't looked at them. I heard they cost twice as much as elsewhere. In Vake there are lots of swanky shops, restaurants and a Western European look to the streets and buildings. I guess for expats that live there and get BMWs they can feel like big shots.

When I hear of Moscow costs I get  :snivel:  Of course I am not a young guy like you full of entrepreneurial energy and courage.
Maxx, you might be surprised to know that I pay about 1000 rubles for all my utilities a month ($15).

I rent from a very nice lady (бабушка) who passes this price onto me from her pension discount. You will find that meeting contacts will be key in maximizing so many things, as has been said other times.

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2017, 05:50:07 AM »

хитровыебанный

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2017, 05:57:26 AM »

хитровыебанный

Cheers! I knew it re: the i-kratka 'rule'!

Am I right too thinking it kind of means a ruder version of 'cheeky fooker'? Nadia won't help me with Russian swearing but oddly enough effs it like mad in English!

Russian swearing is rubbish, all about mothers, pussies and dicks, Danish is even worse, just English ones even in Danish. Nothing to compare with English classics such as 'cock womble', 'wank puffin', 'cockmuncher' and 'piss kidney'!

Not forgetting the wonderful schoolboy jibe, 'Briefcase wànker'.....   
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2017, 06:36:20 AM »

хитровыебанный

Am I right too thinking it kind of means a ruder version of 'cheeky fooker'? Nadia won't help me with Russian swearing but oddly enough effs it like mad in English!

Russian swearing is rubbish, all about mothers, pussies and dicks, Danish is even worse, just English ones even in Danish. Nothing to compare with English classics such as 'cock womble', 'wank puffin', 'cockmuncher' and 'piss kidney'!

Quite a bit stronger than that, from what I was given to understand.
Briefcase w*n ker..... Brings no end of unpleasant scenarios to mind mostly of blokes in dirty macs.  :-\

Offline Maxx

« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2017, 06:38:19 AM »
Somewhere, Maxx wrote that Moscow is one of the most expensive cities in the world.  I guess the moderators deleted it as factually incorrect.

I don't think I actually said that. I have been trying to not get into the middle of other people's squabbles and I know I've stepped on the toes of one of the participants here. I did think about the need to figure out the cost of living for ones plans as I am living as an expat in the Republic of Georgia on account of it being much cheaper to live here than in the States (run on sentence). In regard to Moscow on whether it is the most expensive city. That shouldn't be the concern. But rather how much you need to earn just to have the basics of life. I know, something everyone should know and factor in when moving. That is why the results of the costs of my first month (after my second move) of living here are an interest to me. The coldest month in Tbilisi for years and the gas came to $89 Lari ($33) and so on. I would think the very thing Jerish should consider is what it will cost just to survive and then move on from there.

Sorry, Maxx, maybe it was someone else.  $33 for a month of heating in the coldest month in years. That must have been a welcome surprise to you :). And from what I call you are living in a quite nice and spacious flat.

Yes, I was pleased. I expect my gas bill to be around $10 a month during the year. I have a gas stove but an electric oven. Here they have a minimum amount to pay and what you actually use is added on to this set amount. I figure the other utility costs electric/water/garbage combined bill @ $20 and phone and internet @ less than $10 each. I seem to be getting by for food, restaurants and travel (taxis) at about $100 a week or less. Total it comes to about $700-$800 a month including the rent. I have a lease through August @ $300 a month. My goal is to save $500 a month out of my SS retirement income. And maybe someday to add to that with some side income.

My flat is nice. I don't know how it compares with the flats in the exclusive part of the city, Vake. (pronounced  "Vak-ee") as I haven't looked at them. I heard they cost twice as much as elsewhere. In Vake there are lots of swanky shops, restaurants and a Western European look to the streets and buildings. I guess for expats that live there and get BMWs they can feel like big shots.

When I hear of Moscow costs I get  :snivel:  Of course I am not a young guy like you full of entrepreneurial energy and courage.
Maxx, you might be surprised to know that I pay about 1000 rubles for all my utilities a month ($15).

I rent from a very nice lady (бабушка) who passes this price onto me from her pension discount. You will find that meeting contacts will be key in maximizing so many things, as has been said other times.

Wow! and I thought about $50 a month was a deal. I wondered how pensioners over here make it. Thanks for that information.

I've considered teaching Engish mostly for making contacts and something to do. Making income and living abroad before full retirement age (66) is tricky according to the rules. Anyway for reasons that there is no reason to get into. Anyway I have been asked (just yesterday again) to teach English. I have found out as Andrew said, that the FSU folks often ask about grammar. Just a week ago a Skype friend asked me if it is "I want to lay down" or "I want to lie down." I didn't know!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2017, 07:25:09 AM »
Oooer Maxx, some work to be done before kicking off with the language lessons.

What you might be able to do is the basic 'conversation' classes. In those it is a matter of talking with students, discussing stuff such as newspaper or magazine articles. Not so much about grammar but more about learning usage for people who already have the basics sussed.

That's what many people are doing when they tell you about them doing classes in Russia - Moby, for example, that's what he was likely doing. When I was doing it, I was working with kids and, again, not so much about grammar but using what they learned in a more theoretical and structured setting so that they learned to actually use the language.

You don't get paid so much for that stuff though!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »

Английский язык для всех!

Offline Maxx

« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2017, 08:14:09 AM »
Oooer Maxx, some work to be done before kicking off with the language lessons.

What you might be able to do is the basic 'conversation' classes. In those it is a matter of talking with students, discussing stuff such as newspaper or magazine articles. Not so much about grammar but more about learning usage for people who already have the basics sussed.

That's what many people are doing when they tell you about them doing classes in Russia - Moby, for example, that's what he was likely doing. When I was doing it, I was working with kids and, again, not so much about grammar but using what they learned in a more theoretical and structured setting so that they learned to actually use the language.

You don't get paid so much for that stuff though!

The Georgian taxi driver I know is now a tour guide operator. He was thanked yesterday by some Filipino tourists for his fluent English. He told me he told them that is from conversations he had with Mr. Maxx. I don't if I am being shined on or not.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
Probably it is both a compliment and true!

Conversation with a native English speaker can be a great help in learning good, practical, English, both for accent and usage. In addition as your interlocutors become more confident in speaking with you then their confidence (and perceived fluency) in speaking English in other situations will increase and, as they say, practice makes perfect!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »
Just a week ago a Skype friend asked me if it is "I want to lay down" or "I want to lie down." I didn't know!

You lie down.

That's a common usage mistake Americans make, like many of you use "could care less" when you mean "couldn't".
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »

хитровыебанный

So what is "Pizdabol"  "Bladan Suka" "Nikoi aserby"  :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Maxx

« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
Just a week ago a Skype friend asked me if it is "I want to lay down" or "I want to lie down." I didn't know!

You lie down.

That's a common usage mistake Americans make, like many of you use "could care less" when you mean "couldn't".

I never made that mistake but since seeing your post on it I've noticed this problem quite a bit.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »

You lie down.

I never made that mistake but since seeing your post on it I've noticed this problem quite a bit.

Perhaps studying 'The Elements of Style' of Strunk and White is a good idea. It deals with written English.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »
Unfortunately the best way as a 100% sure way to see how well you have done in your life will never ever be seen by the individual!!  :(

When you die and they lower you into the ground in your wooden box, depending on how many people attend your funeral is a good indicator of how good your life WAS.

Apart from Jimmy Savile

Just let go STE!!  :snivel:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2017, 10:44:05 AM »
I am starting to think that, somebody, as a young lad, had more contact with a cigar smoking ex coal miner than was healthy for him!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
I am starting to think that, somebody, as a young lad, had more contact with a cigar smoking ex coal miner than was healthy for him!

I was on Jim'll Fix It. He taught me how to milk a horse blindfolded....

I shook hands with him sometime in the early eighties and later in the week shook hands with Gary Glitter in Manchester on a works do. Same hand has shaken the hands of all four Bangles tho at about the same time so I am confused...
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »

You lie down.

You had me thinking I made this mistake as I used the expression upthread. So I went back and double-checked it - "couldn't care less" :) :smoking:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »
Ste, in those dark moments, those moments when you remember being asked to join Gary Glitter's gang, or to smoke Jimmy's cigar think of how 4 bangle hands could make you feel.

It'll be OK.

Go and have a chat with your priest. He'll make it feel better!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »
Ste, in those dark moments, those moments when you remember being asked to join Gary Glitter's gang, or to smoke Jimmy's cigar think of how 4 bangle hands could make you feel.

It'll be OK.
I have to say, Ste's obsessing was making me wonder a bit.

Go and have a chat with your priest. He'll make it feel better!
Freudian slip?

Registration